1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Time at Dirt Track tonight

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by smokey0810, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Jun 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    Our young men’s ministry at church went to the local dirt track tonight in Amarillo. My boys are a few years away from being a part of it, but were able to join in the fun. Never been to a dirt track race in my life, and it was pretty darn awesome. Fan appreciation night, so at intermission we got to go on the track to check out the cars. My boys are 6 & 8, and really loved it. They’ve got a no alcohol section, which was even cooler. Just thought I’d share a new experience with my friends here.

F7401E83-7584-4F2A-A71B-E22EEDBF9E3B.jpg

2. Jun 27, 2020 at 10:48 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    ASCOT PARK.jpg
    Gone but not forgotten. So many circle tracks in SoCal. went the way of high button shoes. I LOVED seeing grass roots dirt track and later, pavement, racing at local venues.
    My last visit to Ascot Park to see the sprint cars took place within the last year of their operations.
    Lots of good memories of various venues from the olden days of SoCal. when property wasn't so valuable and the venue was far enough out of town the noise they generated wasn't an issue.

3. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    smokey0810

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    Yeah, on the way home my boys were asking why it was so far out of town, and were amazed how the dirt looked and somewhat felt like asphalt after the cars had been running on it. It certainly won’t be our last trip there.

YardBird and Mountun Goat like this.
  4. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    Been years since I went to a dirt track race. They are totally awesome and I miss it. The last 20 years my work/living area has not been in places that have them close enough. Short paved tracks are just OK, but they generally don't produce as good a race as dirt.

HOWEVER... the last paved short track we frequented regularly (Anderson, IN) had figure-8 trailer races a couple time a year. Those were a hoot to watch! Well, assumimg you also enjoy demolition derbies (which I do).

On edit: If you ever get a chance, take the boys to an NHRA event (and make sure everyone has/wears hearing protection!) Fans can get pretty close to the action in the "garage" area while teams are tearing down/rebuilding between runs. I don't get too excited about straight line racing (even though 300+ mph in a 1/4 mile sprint is mind-boggling), and when the big boys run the engines are so loud you can literally feel it through your whole body, but the action in the garage is really cool to see.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    YardBird, JMB, TokerJoker and 2 others like this.
  5. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    smokey0810

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    I will say it certainly looked like the Sprint cars were doing well over 150....lol....but were just limited to 90.

YardBird, Jernik and Mountun Goat like this.
  6. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    Ah nice! The town I live in shut the dirt track down about 10 years ago and nobody is willing to inject capital back into it. We used to sneak into the gates with our race quads and run it sideways in 6th gear haha. Good times.

smokey0810[OP], YardBird and Jernik like this.
  7. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    Demo derbies are a blast. I miss watching them in the small town I grew up in. Truck pulls, mud bogs no mufflers in site haha.

8. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    TokerJoker

TokerJoker ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Nowhere, Specific
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4.6 Dbl Cab
    None.....yet
    SmartSelect_20200628-092724_Google.jpg
    I could hear the cars run ever Friday and Saturday night all summer long from our house in Mesquite. Great fun and LOT of memories from that track!! Its a 1/2 mile round too. Haven't been in ages as we don't live close any longer! Wish the local 1/8 mile drag track would open back up!

9. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    My son in law started racing stock fours, this is his third season. He teaches automotive mechanics at the local votech. His students helped build a new car for this year and a couple are part of his pit crew, two races, two wins this year. Pretty fun stuff. We go most Friday's in the summer. Six year old grandson started racing carts last year. Chris 27.jpg Chris.jpg Chris Win.jpg Chris2.jpg

10. Jun 28, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    Charvonia Design

Charvonia Design Enthusiast-Owned Small Business Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Bronze Oxide
    Dirt tracks are so fun! We used to watch the sprint cars at Manazanita in Arizona, which sadly close probably a decade ago. I bet it left an impression on your little ones, it's a great sport to get into!

Products Discussed in

To Top