1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Post. Newbie Here. 2011 Crewmax. Did i get a good deal? CPO question.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by knishiya, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Jan 16, 2015 at 10:38 PM
    knishiya

knishiya [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ventura County, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tundra Crewmax SR5, Tow Package
    Hello all,

I am a happy new owner of a 2011 Crewmax SR5 with tow package, cold weather, backup camera, almost new Michelin LTX tires and certified pre-owned, 75,000 miles. I bought it last weekend from Toyota of Santa Barbara. It had been online for $24900 then they dropped it to $21900. I offered $20900 and we negotiated at $21400 plus two free oil changes and a detail. And it is CPO. I think i got a great deal, what do you all think? I ran it thru KBB and it listed at $28000 as CPO.

After having it for a week, i have noticed a few issues and wanted to see what you all think. First, when i bought it, I noticed quite a bit of interior rust on unpainted brackets (seat to floor brackets and gas pedal bracket). The previous owner lived at the beach. I was about to back out of the deal but we came to the conclusion that it was surface rust and it had to due with living next to the beach. We negotiated that they would detail it again and address the surface rust by using a solvent cleaner. Not that it would fix it, but would help a little. Frame appears fine but i did notice bottom of skidplate was a little rusty and some of the front end parts were a little rusty. No holes but more surface rust. I guess normal for living here at the beach??

The bigger issue is today i took a better look at the truck (been busy with work). There is a oil leak only on passenger side at bottom of valve cover. Not dripping bad but you can see definate current oil discoloration from front to back of valve cover. My guess is either gasket or cam tower. I will drop it off at the dealership tomorrow for service.

I emailed the sales manager and told him that this should not have passed the 160 point CPO inspection and wanted it taken care of.

Also, the rear bumper has a medium sized dent which i originally didnt catch because it was raining and really didnt care if it had a dent in a truck bumper as i was getting a great deal. Plus they gave a a great deal on my trade in.

So - what do you all think?

1. Good deal?
    2. Rust issue? If there was rust should it have even been approved as a CPO?
    3. That's messed up they sold me a CPO with a valve cover leak
    4. Should the bumper have been replaced as a CPO car? They cover body "cuts, gouges and scratches" but it does not mention bumper dents.

I am going in tomorrow and speak with the sales manager and drop it off at service. What should i ask them to fix?

Thanks alot!

Even though there are a few issues, I really love, love, love the truck.

Ken

1-IMAG0576 (1).jpg 1-IMAG0582.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Welcome. A lot of info here. With the warranty absolutely you got a good deal.
    Normal surface rust from salt water, also common in snowy states where they put salt on the road. Interior is questionable. If it's just low brackets then it's fine. If it's up high under the seat everywhere then I would question flood. They have to tell you if it was in a flood if you ask.

For the oil, have them investigate and fix under warranty. Hopefully nothing bad. See what they diagnose. That CPO will keep you covered.

Have them look at all concerns and see what they will do.

3. Jan 17, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    That rust is pretty normal. Most guys if they get out and start looking at the brackets under thier seats will find they are rusted. Most come rusted brand new rigjt off the lot. But the oil leak should be fixed.

4. Jan 17, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Welcome to the forum. Your dealer should address the oil leak issue. Surface rust is normal on any metal surface. Some conditions will make it worse. If you change out everything to high grade stainless steel, rust should be less. But even stainless steel will rust.

5. Jan 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome to Tundras.com!

Products Discussed in

To Top