1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally (maybe) ByPassing the Remote Start turning off when you open the door

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by MrJimmyPenguin, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Jan 2, 2023 at 12:02 AM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin [OP] Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Crewmax Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road Premium
    So I've got a 2021 Toyota Tundra (push button start), and I can't stand the backwards mindset under the lieu of "safty" that Toyota has chosen to do on the tundra's.

I am aware that Toyota says they are rolling out an update over time to some models *not yet confirmed which* that should change remote start functionally, but I don't know if my truck would be included in this, so I'd assume likely not (but I'd hope), not to mention, the likely having to go into a dealer for the update if they can't push it OTA. It seems some companies have made work arounds for the HKey (physical key) started tundra's, but mine is push button and maybe it's my autistic focus that doesn't make sense to anyone else but me, but it is what it is, here we are.

Now at it's core, what do we want to do? and Why do I want this?

We may all have different reasons, I want this not because I care about starter wear and tear, or XYZ list of valid examples, simply put, sometimes it is so cold here, with the newer tundra's "remote connect" and parasitic draw on the battery, times between me driving it, loading GPS location and things etc... there are times I simply can not get the 2-3 full starts required from the frozen battery to warm up the truck and then leave but I still want remote start to warm up the cab #FirstWorldProblems.

We want Ford style of logic in the programming. The truck IS ABLE to see your key to confirm identity already thus if the truck sees your keyfob it assumes safe.

Some engineer is going to comment about this, listen. I know I'm over simplifying but its the general basic, if you disagree please enlighten me and help the project, mistakes happen and they make us better for it.

What is Fords Logic?:

Things that happen (not in order) during remote start:

Do not turn on infotainment system
    Restore HVAC Controls (set from the dash screen if outside temp is hot, or cold, adjust as needed)
    Ensure Doors are locked, Engine not already started etc...
    Start the engine

When you walk up to your Ford, it senses and approves(matches) your keyfob, touching the door handles unlocks the door, you get it, and then MUST push the start button, this changes the truck from running but still in "accessory" mode into full on just running and ready to go, if you try to shift it out of Park, or do anything before pressing the button it'll shut off, or "lock" the shifter etc...

I should mention, Ford also allows remote start in 2x 15min time sessions, without the need to restart between sessions, once you start it (from the app or keyfob) it'll run for 5/10/15 min depending your choice and you can then extend the remote start another 5/10/15min and the timer will simply add on that amount of time.

After 2x remote starts OR a max of 30min you'll still need to get in and manually start the truck.

What is Toyota's Current logic?

During remote start trigger, the truck:

Turns on as normal, but will shut off when you open the door, sound the alarm if you tried to trick it by already being inside, trick the door sensor etc...

There isn't anyway I know of yet, other than dumping the trucks ECU code and changing it to make the built in remote start work to the way I want, thus the option I'm exploring is totally bypassing this built in remote start.

The Toyota Tundra has factory logic to turn off automatically if left running for 1 hour.

What I'm doing is using an Arduino with a sim card, we need to wire the 3v power pins to a real working keyfob (that we would have taken apart) in-place of the battery. then wire a signal to the brake light switch, and push button wire. text the Arduino, or write an app (if the sim has data).

The Arduino turns on (give power to) the key
    (the truck thinks you are inside)

(we can also send unlock and lock commands as needed here)

Send signal to the brake pedal switch
    (truck thinks you pressed the brake pedal)

Send signal to the push button
    (the truck thinks you pushed the start button)

Stop sending power to the key
    (truck thinks you left the truck)

Bam truck is running, and locked, the truck already has built in logic to turn off after 1 hour of no Key. Walk up to the truck, unlock it, (truck sees the "real" keyfob in your pocket and thinks you walked back) just get in and go.

We learn from failures so there is a chance this doesn't work at all, and maybe someone better at directly talking to the ECU can find a better way to do this, (this should be possible talking to the ECU) but:

WE DO THIS NOT BECAUSE IT IS EASY, BUT BECAUSE WE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASY

I've been able to test each bit of this independently and it appears to all be working, I'm still waiting on parts from China to arrive, so I figured I may as well start this post and give out some basic start of the code, if anyone wanted to join in or give some direction.

I planned to use something like this to add a LTE sim to the Arduino (SIM7000A/E Arduino NB-IoT Expansion Shield):
    https://www.dfrobot.com/product-2170.html

The code:

I've attached the Code I have so far, written rather crudely but I'm waiting on parts to really start the testing.

The option I've chosen is a simple Text to Start type of logic, The end way of using this should allow me to just text my truck the word Start and it'll start, run upto an hour and shut off. I will be able to repeat this as much as I want, and just walk up to it get in and go, without the need to even press the start button, because as far as the truck is concerned I started it, doors locked, left, unlocked them and appeared back.

Things to keep in mind.
    The KeyFob is 3v
    The brake light switch and push button are just completing the circuits.

I'd like this make this open so anyone can just buy the pieces from where ever and install as they like, any tips, general thoughts or anything is always welcome, figured I'd share to give hope to anyone else out there with this issue also frustrated with this, given what I've read and seen lurking around FB pages and the Forums, I know a lot of general negative feedback is coming and it's expected.

Attached Files:

Henry1jg, koditten, J's 4x4 and 7 others like this.
  2. Jan 8, 2023 at 7:18 PM
    TundraDan723

TundraDan723 Not as new as I used to be...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Celestial Silver Tundra 1794 TRD CM
  3. Jan 11, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794
    Way above my grade level, but I'll cheer you on.

I have basically stopped using my remote start because it is useless... I want to be able to start the truck, put on my shoes and coat, go outside, load the kids and the dog in the the truck (the slowest part of my morning!) while it is warming up and then leave the house.

But the truck turns itself off... so I just climb in and start it, THEN load the kids and the dog, and then take off. Just like my parents did in the 70's. :monocle:

4. Jan 11, 2023 at 8:29 AM
    seydou

seydou Distinguished Member

Member:

If I am loading anything into the truck and still want it running, I simply lean in and touch the brake pedal and start button. Done. Not ideal but not a major inconvenience either.

Henry1jg and Jaypown like this.
  5. Jan 11, 2023 at 8:44 AM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    My start x turns on the truck and leaves it running while I open the door and climb in. Don't know how long it stays running because I haven't tested that. Press lock 3 times in 3 seconds, truck starts, walk up, hit unlock, crawl in, press brake pedal, put key in and turn to run, shift to gear and away I go.

azTony and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  6. Jan 11, 2023 at 9:14 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Yeah, that's how I expect it to work in my 2019 key start too, if I get one.

The Start X in my gives push button start, shuts off when she opens the door. But we knew that before installing.

7. Jan 12, 2023 at 9:03 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
  8. Jan 12, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:

Exactly! if only the single china man on his boat rowing parts across the water to me would go a little faster.

9. Jan 12, 2023 at 12:13 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    You don't have push button start.

10. Jan 16, 2023 at 6:51 PM
    21TundraTRDpro_

21TundraTRDpro_ New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Blacked out Tundra TRD PRO
    Pedal commander, 185/65/18 falcon mud tires
    What is Toyota's Current logic?

During remote start trigger, the truck:

Turns on as normal, but will shut off when you open the door, sound the alarm if you tried to trick it by already being inside, trick the door sensor etc...

There isn't anyway I know of yet, other than dumping the trucks ECU code and changing it to make the built in remote start work to the way I want, thus the option I'm exploring is totally bypassing this built in remote start.

The Toyota Tundra has factory logic to turn off automatically if left running for 1 hour.

What I'm doing is using an Arduino with a sim card, we need to wire the 3v power pins to a real working keyfob (that we would have taken apart) in-place of the battery. then wire a signal to the brake light switch, and push button wire. text the Arduino, or write an app (if the sim has data).

The Arduino turns on (give power to) the key
    (the truck thinks you are inside)

(we can also send unlock and lock commands as needed here)

Send signal to the brake pedal switch
    (truck thinks you pressed the brake pedal)

Send signal to the push button
    (the truck thinks you pushed the start button)

Stop sending power to the key
    (truck thinks you left the truck)

Bam truck is running, and locked, the truck already has built in logic to turn off after 1 hour of no Key. Walk up to the truck, unlock it, (truck sees the "real" keyfob in your pocket and thinks you walked back) just get in and go.

We learn from failures so there is a chance this doesn't work at all, and maybe someone better at directly talking to the ECU can find a better way to do this, (this should be possible talking to the ECU) but:

WE DO THIS NOT BECAUSE IT IS EASY, BUT BECAUSE WE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASY

I've been able to test each bit of this independently and it appears to all be working, I'm still waiting on parts from China to arrive, so I figured I may as well start this post and give out some basic start of the code, if anyone wanted to join in or give some direction.

I planned to use something like this to add a LTE sim to the Arduino (SIM7000A/E Arduino NB-IoT Expansion Shield):
    https://www.dfrobot.com/product-2170.htm

I have one ☝ question and one concern with this brilliant idea that I have been longing for someone to do this with.
    Firstly are you buying the SIM7000A or SIM7000E?
    Second is the issue with the door locks. Once the truck thinks you started the vehicle from inside the truck will not be open to you from outside. And even if you have the fob with you, you can not unlock the doors from outside the truck once it’s running from inside. Your now locked out. Getting in will sound the alarm.
    bypassing this will likely be a whole other issue we need to conquer.
    You can try this yourself if you start the truck and get out then go around and try to unlock the passenger doors and you won’t be able to.
    At this point your door will be unlocked but this is simply because you physically left the truck after starting.
    Simply put we have more hoops unless you already have an idea around this.

11. Jan 28, 2023 at 5:27 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:

SIM7000A or SIM7000E? - I ordered both, I was also lost on which is the right one for Canada/USA

Second Part with the locking - You are able to start your truck, lock it with the window down, then auto up the window and it'll stay running while locked (and you outside), ( I tried this on a friends tundra that had auto up ), This may be a 2 part problem as I don't have auto up windows for testing on my truck, but this does add I may need to splice into the lock trigger in the door, or use the fob lock/unlock. This does open the question of how to unlock, which I'm hoping will work on mine as simple as just pressing the keyfob, which I'd also accept if the door handle touch unlock won't work.

my truck got rear ended and it's back at the body shop being repaired again... so that's put a hold on things, atleast I got to put in the new group 31m agm battery lol. Which unrelated totally fits with terminal extenders and trimming of the factory plastic battery plate, and unhooking a clip on the harness.

IMG_6798.jpg

2021 Tundra and everything is oily! you have to be proactive on that rust.

IMG_6801.jpg

12. Oct 16, 2023 at 5:28 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Update.

Sadly this way sucks, it works-ish but isn't reliable. I've been able to bypass this opening door shutting down 3 different ways and they all suck, the best way so far has been turning off all security on the truck, writing new CAN code and then the idea to replace with an after market security system, but again like I said, sucks.

Hopefully someone else out there figures a way through this but I'll be leaving this one to rest for a while, unless I get some miracle ideas at 2am on a Tuesday.

snivilous, Jeff_5_7 and Joe333x like this.
  13. Oct 16, 2023 at 5:35 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    You clearly are very smart with all the electronic side of this and put in a solid effort. What about swapping a key ignition in for the push button?

14. Oct 16, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Time to rip the firmware from the body control module and start digging.....

15. Oct 16, 2023 at 7:50 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    I want my cake fancy, ice cream, and I wanna eat it too, but I don’t mind having to go pickup the cake.

I love the push button start, being able to just get in and bam, I’ve been spoiled, honestly if I didn’t have such a poor experience with Ford, and if Ford wasn’t so garbage overall, I’d be in an F250 right now.

example given, friend of mine got the F150 I would have spec’d to buy, 5.0 10 speed lariat no sun roof beautiful, been back at the dealer 7 times in less than 6000km and STILL has issues, like big issues.

I’ll just have to accept to pick, reliable but user interface bothers me and kinda blows or non-reliable but great to use. No wonder Ford sells great numbers.

maybe the Lexus adapter should be next for a heated steering wheel swap, I don’t know we’ll see.

I hate to even say this… haha… yes I looked at key swapping and then putting an NFC/Bluetooth switch to use my phone as the key, but it’s a whole system tied together, ECU, Key, cluster and all the buttons are mostly all CANbus control and we end with still having to wipe the factory security out or swapping so much I might as well switch trucks or finish one of my project cars/trucks and just daily drive them lol.

16. Oct 16, 2023 at 7:52 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    If I can find a 2021 tundra in the junk yard haha, but hopefully Toyota has another server open to the public with no authentication login and it holds source codes that leak out.

17. Oct 16, 2023 at 8:37 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Seeing as you know about canbus stuff, does the Tundra have a K and L line? I'm just curious if my MVCI with 2.0.4 firmware is working properly. When I do a test on DLC3 it passes everything except K and L but so far everything I've done with the cable works.

Untitled.jpg

18. Oct 17, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Pretty sure from 2018+ all K line communication was moved to CAN bus. The 2007-2017 trucks use the K-Line for smaller things. TPMS Ecu, Immobilizer ECU, ect.

In 2018 all of this was added to the CAN network, I don't even think the OBD connecter in the 2018 has a wire in the pin location for the K or L Lines.

You should be able to communicate with every part of the truck via CAN only through the network gateway on any Tundra 2018 and newer.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Joe333x[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 17, 2023 at 6:52 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    The question is if you would have the skills to reverse engineer the firmware... If so you and I need to be friends. I have taken the dive into understanding embedded systems and more about how the MCUs work in these ECUS. I have only really been working with the instrument cluster. So much code and undefined functions.

20. Oct 17, 2023 at 9:09 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I was actually going to check to see if there was a wire running to the pin but have an OBD splitter for my remote start so didn't feel like pulling it out to look at the actual OBD.

Jeff_5_7[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Oct 17, 2023 at 10:06 AM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Jeff_5_7 is right on!

It seems weird but 2018+ and 2019+ have changes all over, like the head units with Apple car play run a skinned Linux instead of the Toyota build solution before hand, but yeah easiest is just check if its even pinned on the OBD plug.

Jeff_5_7 and Joe333x[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Oct 17, 2023 at 1:40 PM
    lassiter1979

lassiter1979 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4 in Silver Sky Metallic with XSP Package
    3" front lift, 1" rear lift; BFG KO2 295/60R20; color matched front grille and hood bulge
    Don't aftermarket remote starters work with the push button ignition? I installed an AM one on my old 2020 SR5 and it always worked great. Now I have a 2020 Platinum and I agree the logic of turning it off is beyond stupid, but for 120$ I'd be willing to put in another AM model if it works with the Platinum's features.

23. Oct 17, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Depends what you deem "work" so far none of the after market systems continue running. they all act like the OEM Toyota one and turn off when you open the door.

24. Oct 17, 2023 at 7:59 PM
    _none_

_none_ Poser

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC SR5 4x4
    Maybe I missed it…

Can the door switch be bypassed? What happens if you start it with the remote, window down, crawl in with key, can you hit the button and go?

25. Oct 18, 2023 at 9:58 PM
    2020 dc

2020 dc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra dc sr
    Compustar offers a remote start system for push-start Tundras. But I am not sure if the Compustar system will shut the engine off when doors are open.

26. Oct 23, 2023 at 7:41 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    The Compustar unit does not bypass the engine shutoff when opening the doors.

27. Oct 23, 2023 at 7:42 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Truck shuts off, its not about the door switch its the remote start routine.

_none_[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Oct 26, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    RI2021Platinum5.7

RI2021Platinum5.7 New Member

Member:
    The only thing I don't like about this truck is when I open the door when its remotely started it turns off! Lol What is the logic ?

29. Feb 1, 2024 at 8:32 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    I don't want to get to many peoples hopes up but there has been a small break thu.

With an ESP32 and a companion board, using can bus to just send the start signal, testing is slow but it isn't dead. If my idea is correct this should also be package-able in a single unit you can just plug into your OBD port and be done, with existing key fob remote start function, and no app for now, but would be easily able to add.

I wanted to avoid canbus talking but here we are...

DoublePro, rmorse, ghott86 and 3 others like this.
  30. Feb 7, 2024 at 12:18 PM
    Penberrf

Penberrf New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra
    Soooo, i know this video is for a 4Runner, BUT i contacted Accessorides and they said that they are getting an option added for the 2020 and 2021 push start Tundras that have takeover and that the truck will not shut down when entering it. Also, the kit is fully plug and play. Just wanted to share :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh8ofQSatA&t=2s

bulldog93, Paullie, YotaMan and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top