1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FFV question for a used 2012/2013 Tundra....

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by RingSteel, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Aug 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    RingSteel

RingSteel [OP] CH-47 Super C Mainz-Finthen Army Air Field 73-75

Member:
    Texas Eagle-Ford Shale dodging crazy azz truckers
    Vehicle:
    14' SR5 CM TSS Barcelona Red, Blk rims & R/boards, tan seats
    Hi folks:
    Presently shopping for a Tundra. The lariat F-150 (2010) will be the trade in. After reading about 5 different Tundra forums (you Tundra guys are amazing...lol!) I figured it was time to join up and get engaged.

So, I've read a few posts where some say they will never use E85 but I have not seen any pumps that were NOT E85.
    Trying to be reasonable and not knowing how may thousands of FFV T's are out there should the FFV be a serious concern in making a purchase? Toyota of Katy in the Houston area has a few 2012 and 13's that are pretty sweet less then 35k on the odometer and the FFV just kindah sticks out there.....

Not wanting to beat a dead horse out of the chute, just looking for a balance view from the owners how your truck is performing versus the those that post every creak and rattle in a truck......ha.....!

Thanks folks......see yah'll round......

2. Aug 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    RingSteel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well mods I guess I need to be patient. did not read my email and looks like I posted in the wrong forum. If so please move it want to get off on a good start....

Thanks.....

3. Aug 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I have a 2012 FFV Rock Warrior. I purchased it with 25k miles on it. I have not had any problems in the 6k miles that I have had it.
    I have not used E85 in it but the previous owner tried a couple tanks full. He said it ran fine without problems.
    I choose to only use 87 octane in my truck. Don't need to go to premium at colorados elevation.

4. Aug 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Both of mine have been non FFV.
    If you ever plan to supercharge it, you will find some challenges there...I know some have had issues with it running rough, and cold starts...

5. Aug 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    RingSteel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply.......I keep seeing this about not using E85 but all the stations around here have that wunnerful sticker E85.......my lariat and now the 4RNR see to do OK.

But knowing that you have been running 6k w/o issues helps. Although retired there is some pending contract work opening up for me in South Texas and North Carolina. I really look forward to Smokey Mountain driving in a T.......from I've read thus far the 5.7 should drive way bettah then my 5.4L Triton .......

Thanks again.......now back to shopping.....well you know after 44 years of saving for retirement teh least I can do is treat myself to at least ONE good toy......if you don't count colt, smith, Remington, ruger oh snap sheesh wife might see this.......lol......

6. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yea the 5.7 Tundra is awesome.

Not much E85 stations out here in Colorado. Had a coworker convert his car over to E85 for the benefits of what he said as "cheap race fuel". He struggled with having to drive a ways to get to a station that had E85 and finally just converted back.

7. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    RingSteel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OK....now I get it....see I was under the impression that the only thing on the market was E85 since it is all I ever see down here. When we went o Colorado a couple of years ago with all the grand kids and the drama, that was something I never paid attention to. So now I see that E85 is not 100% across the nation.

Dang I hate not being the brightest crayola in the box...!

Well guess it's back to shopping...I see a few TRD's Limited out in the market....Had a gray Power Stroke for 12 years so not crazy about another gray one may look at silver.

I can see this will hurt my wallet as bad as teh Power Stroke did teh first three years or so....woo hoo wife gonna keep me contracting on the road to pay for I can see it now....lol...

Have a good week......

8. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    RingSteel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super charge .....weeelll wilbuuuuuur that would be sweet but once I get to tweaking it to my taste I had better get used to sleeping in it...lol....mention super charge and the first stink eye look says "how much" Haaaa.....gottah love it....

9. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    The plus about the FFV is that it is flex. The sensors determine what the octane level is and adjust as necessary to run. You could run E85 out there and fill up with 87 or 91 octane when your out on your travels.
    You should look a little deeper on if anyone is having issues when switching between them more often.

10. Aug 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    If you ever plan to supercharge, don't go with a flex fuel... It's a huge hassle and the only ones I've seen done have had issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top