1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FFV problems!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by fouronereason71, May 14, 2015.

1. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    Target612

Target612 New Member

Member:
    I have a 2016 FFV 5.7L V8 4x4 crewmax. I feel the need to notify the public that my car was having really really bad rough starts in the morning - didn’t matter if weather was cold or warm - first start of the day always sounded like the engine was choking. I googled online and found this site and many other message boards about the Alcohol Density Calculation problems and the need to “reflash” the ECM (see Toyota Service Bulletin T-SB-0058-13).
    I took the truck in to the dealer yesterday, they did a cold start this morning after it sat in the lot overnight, and concluded it had this problem that is specific to FFV Tundra engines.
    The service advisor said that Toyota just came out with a new TSB a few days ago updating the old TSB so that it now covers the fuel pump and the “reflashing” of the ECM, it now also covers all FFV Tundras from 2009 - 2019. The new TSB is T-SB-0166-19.
    So I hope this info helps, hit up your dealer if you are having enginestart-up problems with your FFVengine Tundras, and pass the word around!
    If I had known about these engine issues, I would have NEVER bought a FFV engine!!!
    This TSB engine fix is only good if you’re under 96 months or 80,000 miles!!!

2. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    If you have a obd scanner, I think it will show a “startability” error code for FFV issue.

3. Jan 10, 2020 at 6:09 AM
    Jeffro22

Jeffro22 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 platinum crewmax 4x4
    I checked and do have a startibilty code

will be going in to dealer soon. Mine is reading 85% alcohol and has a had a few more no starts in the past week.

SO If I am understanding it correctly, it sounds like the fuel pump has to be replaced along with the re-flasH?

I am well out of warranty , so any ideas on cost for fuel pump and reflash?

4. Feb 6, 2021 at 2:21 PM
    Vol203

Vol203 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM
    I have a 2012 Tundra 5.7. Flex Fuel engine with 89,700 miles. It just started with the cold, rough starts 2 months ago. Dealer quoted me 1685 dollars to replace the fuel pump and reflash the computer. Unbelievable! Hopefully, the rough starts will go away as the weather warms up and I can get by another year without spending money to fix it.

5. Feb 7, 2021 at 4:34 AM
    CTB Mike

CTB Mike It's RED? My rods and cones must be screwed up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Rock Warrior
    The only good fix for FFV problems is to never buy one.

Products Discussed in

To Top