1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feedback from those who upgraded to tow mirrors

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Spotshooter, May 7, 2020.

1. May 9, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    Kanobi13

Kanobi13 New Member

Member:
    20190803_143646.jpg 20200509_184145.jpg Take some getting used to way better than stock.20200509_184145.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. May 9, 2020 at 6:37 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    My tow mirrors are beat from trails. The fronts are maximum scratched. Probably should have gotten regular mirrors, but I really like the lower wide angle mirror. It makes checking blind spots easy.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  3. May 9, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    Just installed the OEM tow mirrors. Really, really dislike them for regular city driving. Feels like much less of a view. Off-road they are huge.

Will likely swap them standard back and only install the tow mirrors when I tow in the summer.

Plus it makes a cement a Tundra look like:

E4638078-2A01-4BFF-986B-FBC3AFB5D5D0.jpg

4. May 9, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    Spotshooter

Spotshooter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited DC TRD
    Ride-rite, cover kings, TRD skid plate, TRD sways, power tow mirrors, ... TBD
    My hitch with any mirror is that has to be power folding... garage !!
    Many of the tow mirrors the guys are putting up here are not power folding so they are not a real option for what I’m going for.
    Regular sized power fold mirrors are 700+ Bucks each new for .. again not an option.

If they had reliable 3rd party mirrors that didn’t vibrate I would probably go that route vs. OEM for the better views they provide, and BSM

gabex35, Y0TA PR0 and Mountun Goat like this.
  5. May 9, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    Kanobi13

Kanobi13 New Member

Member:
    No problem fitting the tundra and 4 runner in the garage

Mountun Goat likes this.
  6. May 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    Durania

Durania New Member

Member:
    Crossville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue CM Ltd
    Here is my review of the ebay Trail Ridge ones:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/review-of-the-trail-ridge-tow-mirrors-from-1aautomotive.56564/

Like mountainpete said, I too don't like driving with them for everyday driving. I feel they create a large blind spot along with the large A pillar; I make myself stop a little extra longer at stop signs and turn outs. I haven't towed my travel trailer yet this season but will later this month, I've been rocking my stockers since November and dread going back to the dedicated tow mirrors.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. May 9, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    I've gone from OEM small mirrors with little convex inserts to OEM knock offs then to GM style now. For vision the GM ones are by far and away the best. I'm used to driving 1 ton trucks at work so the extra size is something I'm used to. Also the small convex spot mirror or the super narrow OEM tow mirror convex just don't do anything for me. The GM ones have the tiniest of wind noise at 90 km/h that I can hear with the radio off, but it goes away at higher speeds. I love being able to see my rear tire, the lane next to me, and the one next to that all in the same mirror and neither the small OEM with a spot mirror or the OEM tow mirror provide that.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-2007-20...ash=item48e4c31751:g:iqgAAOSwDcNetGyk&vxp=mtr

Those are similar to the ones on my truck now. Search Tundra Tow Mirror and you get lots of results in the GM style.

I think for normal driving or small towing it's all about what you're used to. If I wasn't so used to 1 tons I'd most likely just go for the standard OEM small ones. They are very good for not having a spot mirror, way better than the Ford shrek ear ones for sure, and are the best looking mirror for the Tundra.

I don't get why companies try to reinvent the mirror - GM and Ford have great tow mirrors that just plain work, and isn't that the point of mirrors? Small design changes I get, but keep the basic size and shape.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Cpl_Punishment and Durania like this.
  8. May 9, 2020 at 11:56 PM
    Wild Banjo

Wild Banjo New Member

Member:
  9. May 10, 2020 at 6:05 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/upgrading-to-power-fold-mirrors.12452/

Thread for those with manual folding from the factory if you'd wish to make any mirrors power folding - note the mirrors need to be like those attached and have the motors already in them, there are options to put motors in manual motors but I've only seen it for standard mirrors not towing ones.

10. May 10, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    Spotshooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited DC TRD
  11. May 10, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    Spotshooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited DC TRD
    Talking about blind spots -

I grew up on a farm with 70’s era tow mirrors - That means a HUGE tube frame with a really tall mirror that mounted below the window of the truck door, to the top of the truck door.

If you are a young guy that likes doing “new york stops” (not stopping, just pulling up and hitting the gas) - those will get you in a wreck fast.

12. May 10, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Lol!! And this is how they look with GM tow mirrors.
    27E4097D-F2C8-4C65-AC0B-58CA3D8DC7C1.jpg

Wrongside and shellshock like this.
  13. May 10, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    I ordered a power folding harness and got a set of never used OEM power folding standard mirrors off Kijiji. Going back in a few weeks.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 10, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    Spotshooter

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited DC TRD
    Now that’s more like it ... LOL

I’m going with the safe bet and getting the yota OEM power folding so it’s dumbo glass for me I guess...

Cpl_Punishment and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  15. May 10, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Great choice! :thumbsup:

16. Jul 8, 2020 at 6:38 PM
    Cthulhu

Cthulhu The White and Black Goat of the Woods

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Premium Package
    I got mine and installed them today. Link below. I have a 2018 Limited, and it was nice to retain BSM, heated mirrors, and power mirror adjustments. Gained marker lights and turn signals which is awesome. Smoked out lights/signals look great. Be careful installing; the studs can strip easily (I need to get a replacement stud), and also, watch when removing the nuts, that they don’t fall into the door shell; about happened to me...almost mudded my drawers! The only other issue I have is the mirrors do indeed vibrate. Not ridiculously, but noticeable. Seals are seated properly, and nice and tight, but still a little vibrating. I’ll probably get used to it though; it’s a trade-off, retaining factory features and gaining the marker lights, turn signals, and tow extensions, versus a little mirror vibration and not paying the crazy price for factory tow mirrors, which would cause me to lose BSM. I’m overall happy with the $300 spent.

https://www.1aauto.com/2014-19-toyo...MIjLCpyv6-6gIVDQiICR1iMg_UEAQYASABEgIwcfD_BwE

Tundra805 and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  17. Jul 9, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    redryder

redryder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryder
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Cement CM
    Do you think there is any way to stop the vibrations?

18. Jul 9, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    Cthulhu

Cthulhu The White and Black Goat of the Woods

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Premium Package
    Not that I can tell. I think it’s possibly physics; because of the mirror being further out than stock, and not closer to the mounting point, it’s more prone to vibration. I say this because when the mirrors are fully extended, there’s a little more vibration. Not horrific, but again, noticeable. This is just a theory though as several have said this model, and the factory tow mirrors you can buy, don’t vibrate at all. So either Trail Ridge’s manufacturing process is inconsistent, factory tow mirrors are manufactured significantly better than after-market (which is indeed the case for a LOT of parts), or, the people that are saying they see no vibrations are fibbing :rofl:.

Bottom line, if you are not completely ate up with OCD and can live with very minor vibration, they are a great value in my opinion considering the existing and additional features. I consider myself pretty OCD and it really doesn’t bother me too much.

I hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Tundra805 likes this.
  19. Jul 9, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    g6t9ed

g6t9ed Novice Tundra Modder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black CrewMax 1794 4x4
    Reading through this thread, it seems most everyone either made up their mind or enough people tried different variations of the tow mirror that there wasn't much for me to add from my experience. I did end up going with the GM style tow mirror mainly because it kept all the functions that the Platinum/1794 came with. I mainly wanted to make sure they came with BSM and power folding, most other expected features were well included across different versions. I do, however, have one issue that I wish was added - the headlight dimmer. My original mirrors would dim headlights behind me just like the center rearview mirror would. These tow mirrors don't and I'm not aware of any that do.

One other thing I added, that I am seeing aftermarket mirrors are now including, are the switchback led sequential turn signal. I had this added to match my Morimoto headlights. I thought it was a great feature and makes it feel like both were meant to go together.

Here they are under normal driving (sorry, you can't really see the DRL from the Morimotos due to the angle but they are on):
    20200628_130356.jpg

And here are the sequential switchbacks:

20. Jul 9, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    Seafury

Seafury Kickin names, and takin ass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    2014 White 1794 "SnowWhite aka the Frost Queen"
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    These are all nice mods.

However, I don't think anyone has mentioned a specific stock feature of the mirror's on limited and up trucks.

Do any of these aftermarket mirrors have the courtesy / puddle lamps?

Lol.

Yes, I would want it all.
    Power folding.
    Power mirror adjustable.
    BSM in mirror.
    Heated mirror.
    Turn signals some one can actually see.
    Puddle lamps.

Is there one that has everything, everything?

21. Jul 9, 2020 at 5:48 PM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    Your lights are sick!

:headbang::rockband::bowdown::thumbsup:

g6t9ed[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Jul 9, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    g6t9ed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    These GM style mirrors do have the puddle lights. You can see the illumination and how much of the ground it illuminates:
    20200709_212050.jpg

However, I didn't think to mention it really because I thought it best to just go ahead and add an LED strip all along the bottom/side of the truck when the doors open. I think this gives it better coverage anyways:
    20200709_212115.jpg

I actually considered just replacing the puddle lights with some side cameras. I just haven't found ones that I like yet.

Ha ha, thanks man. Honestly, it's nice to hear when people like the mods I've added. It lets me know I haven't fucked up my truck yet.

Edit: I just realized you were asking about the other features as well. These do have all of those you mentioned. Again, the only downsides to them as also mentioned from other members, are the vibrations at higher speeds and the non-dimming of headlights that I mentioned earlier.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Seafury[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jul 10, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Very cool man.

Thank you for letting me know that they have the puddle lights.
    Your truck is fantastic, minus the black part lol.
    :p:thumbsup:

My father recently traded in his white 18 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax Dually for a 20 Tacoma Sport, black on black:eek:
    I wanted to slap him about the head, but he says the heat doesn't bother him, crazy old man lol. We are only going through almost a month long heatwave of 90+ everyday, it's miserable here.....

He also no longer needs to tow anyone other then his black 18ft box trailer full of model airplanes. :plane:

The non dimming part about the mirrors is a concern, I've been blinded by vehicles behind me before, have to duck out of line of site of the glare, it's annoying for sure.

I see you also have Amp Powersteps. LOVE those things. I stop and play with mine almost every day still lol.

I just have to get over the whole Dumbo ears thing.

Maybe when I lift my truck beyond 3in in a year or two if I go to the BDS 7in or something else like it. I think then it will look more proportional, right now I think it's a bit much for mine.

I also do not yet own anything to tow, so kinda pointless currently lol.

But future plans for sure! :spending:

24. Jul 10, 2020 at 7:10 AM
    g6t9ed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    trigger.jpg

25. Jul 10, 2020 at 7:17 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Don't worry, it's a Toyota. The A/C in your dad's Tacoma is going to blow freezing cold for years and years. :rofl:

Seafury[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jul 10, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    Had OEM tow mirrors and hated them.
    The blind spots are horrible and its embarrassing when pedestrians have to walk around your mirrors because they are hanging 1’ into the sidewalk. And to top it off they look completly stupid and im pretty sure they cost me 1mpg on the highway.

27. Jul 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    You sound like me sometimes.

Tell us how you really feel!

I always power fold my stock mirrors when I park anywhere.
    I will do the same if I go with tow mirrors in the future.
    I just hope the motors can survive the constant usage, time will tell.

Warreng[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jul 10, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    I could have lived with them if they had power fold, but from what I understand its quite a job to make that happen.

29. Jul 10, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    LOL sorry man, nothing personal black does look good, just not practical imho in certain climates.
    Also very tough to keep clean.

I have a black 98 4Runner Sr5 also.
    But my white Tundra is king.

I have learned over the years having black vehicles that live outside in a place where you have real summer like we do in VA is an exercise in frustration.
    This is due to the following, getting burned by the paint, hot seats, hot dash and steering wheel, cracked dash, and burned out electronics like power door locks, windows, and radios.

The sun, and its heat, just destroys everything, and black makes it so much worse.

My 4Runner, currently yet again, if I park it where the sun shines on the drivers side, the power door locks fail once it gets hot.
    Killed 2 stereos from heat over the years i've owned it, and several door locks, and window motors.
    Everything inside is fading, cracking, and totally dried out.

My White Tundra is literally 30 degrees cooler in the interior in the same spot as my 4Runner.
    Even with sun shades.....

Now, if I lived in Canada, or Alaska, black all day!

Just not for me in Summer climates, but they look great, you do what makes you happy, and keep on truckin!
    :burnrubber:

30. Jul 10, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Yea if you don't have power fold stock, its a fun job to retrofit I hear.

That's why I always buy the highest trim vehicle I can afford, plus I like extra features and much prefer leather over cloth all day, so it works well for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top