1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fault code p2440 toyota Tundra 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Gradysail, May 30, 2017.

1. May 30, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    Gradysail

Gradysail [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CrewMax TRD SR5
    A few days ago my 2012 Tundra CrewMax TRD SR5 flashed a check eng. light after cranking the second time that day and went into "limp mode". I followed up with the dealer the next day. Over the phone they told me this problem was covered under a special extended 10yr/150k warranty. I took it in They verified the code my ODB-II found which was for a Air Injection System failure and called me later with their bad news: according to them the warranty is only up to 2011 model was covered and after that ONLY the 5.7L engines are covered! I have the 4.6L. Of course I was not happy, especially with the $2200 price tag to repair it. I did not allow them to "fix" it b/c my intention was to take it up with Toyota Customer Care the next day even though they still charged me the hundred dollar diagnostic fee.

When I got home, I thought "what the heck" might as well use my bluetooth ODB-II device and clear the fault. I did and the check light when off but the traction ctrl light did not. I killed the ignition and restarted and this time no warning lights at all. The truck has been running fine for 2 days now and seems to be fine. The ODB showed all systems normal. Apparently there was either a false positive or it was a temporary glitch with one of the valves. Either way, my advice is if you have this error, make sure the dealer checks the fuses to that system, ask them to reset the fault to see if the component really is "bad" before forking out the mucho dinero. Also, Toyota should cover ALL their cars/trucks with this component system that seems to have issues/glitches and not leave one engine model hanging on an island by itself. The TSB fix on the 5.7s is to "flash" or reset the computer fault but they do not address the 4.6s. I did that on mine and it seems to have cured the problem. The moral of the story is invest in your own ODB device and hold the dealer accountable to their diagnosis...the internet is a wonderful thing.

JTP likes this.
  2. May 30, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB S/C'd 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD S/C, OVTune and +2 psi pulley TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Front Sway Bar Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats
    He'll be back.

GNTundra likes this.
  3. Jun 2, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    JTP

JTP The Big Black Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Sterling, Alaska (Formerly DFW Texas)
    Vehicle:
    The Big Black Moose

Thanks for the info and heads up. Seems to be a lot of this type of "glitch" and lights stuff going on. Especially with the older 1st and early 2nd gen trucks. Was on a road trip these past few days with mine and talked to two different older Tundra owners who both said the same thing. That they were getting a barrage of lights and false indication issues.

What ODB device do you have?

4. Jun 2, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    Gradysail

Gradysail [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CrewMax TRD SR5
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

It's a relatively inexpensive bluetooth ODB-II that uses this app on your smart phone. I just keep it plugged in and I've had to reset the fault code twice since this started. That get's the truck out of limp mode and it runs normally. This system is just an emissions system and runs only for about the first 1-3 min after start up. I apparently have a clogged or corroded valve b/c it only seems to do it when the humidity is high and the engine has cooled over night. Once it runs and warms up, it's fine. However, today a new development, after some back and forth, Toyota has agreed to cover 80% of the cost to repair...basically I pay some labor and taxes. That makes me feel much better about future purchases seeing as I've been exclusive Toyo since 1993 and have purchased 1 Fourunner, 4 Tacomas, 1 Tundra, 2 Solaras, 1 Lexus, and 1 Highlander over those years. I felt like they needed to step up and they did. Best of luck to the rest of you out there on this issue.

Sunnier, GNTundra and Backslider like this.
  5. Sep 16, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    crappie4me

crappie4me New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 tundra
    none
    New guy here. Got the p2440. Just had the entire secondary system replaced. NOW after every 4th start up I get a P2447. (2nd fan closed) and it goes into limp mode. Currently back in shop and they cannot find anything wrong. All fans, valves, o2 sensors, pressure switches, every component that operates the system is working fine as it should. Any suggestions? ( 2010 tundra )

6. Mar 10, 2018 at 4:58 PM
    FrozenTundra

FrozenTundra New Member

Member:
    I just got the p2440 code on my 08 Tundra. Just missed the 10 year window by 25 days so dealer wouldnt fix. I called Toyota and asked if they would authorize the dealer to fix it but they said sorry nothing we can do. I am aware of the limp mode but has any one noticed their truck shifting sort of studdering?

7. Mar 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ So there I was.... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Have you done any updates through Toyota concerning the AIP system?

If not, you might get lucky with the bypass kits. However, for this to work, I believe you need to have no codes with the AIP.

8. Mar 11, 2018 at 9:10 PM
    Troynjade

Troynjade Beast mode 5.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    7" procomp lift, 3" body lift. Amp research powerstep, 22" fuel rims, 38" nitto tires, Custom leather seat covers black with red stiching, alpine inz928 deck, 2x10" subs, 1500 watt alpine amp, 400watt amp for door speakers. Procomp Traction bars, fuel grille, Black headlight housing with 6000k hid, rear airbags, rear and front camera, k&n air intake, 40" light bar. Rear under bumper led light bar. Prodigy trailer brakes. 5.29 Nitro Gears. Auburn Posi Rear End. Dirty Deeds Budget Dump.
    Ive had 2 of the AIP's replaced in my 2008, the first one was covered through toyota and the 2nd costed me 2600.00, Im already worried about the 3rd time..

9. Mar 12, 2018 at 3:58 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB S/C'd 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD S/C, OVTune and +2 psi pulley TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Front Sway Bar Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats
    You could get the by-pass, it's literally plug and play.

Troynjade likes this.
  10. Mar 12, 2018 at 5:27 AM
    FrozenTundra

FrozenTundra New Member

Member:
    I will most likely do the bypass but was curious if any one has noticed theier shifting sort of stutter as a result of this code / issue.

11. May 17, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    Pmoore849

Pmoore849 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2012 silver sr5 4x2
    I have this code coming up now. Will Toyota honor the warranty if I wasn’t the original owner? I’d that a warranty on the vehicle itself or only for the original owner?

Products Discussed in

To Top