1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fairly critical take on how Toyota has repositioned the Tundra

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by OnThaLake, May 25, 2022.

1. May 28, 2022 at 9:24 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    My '05 doublecab has a 6.2ft bed. :p

Main reason I put my name on a '22 instead of buying a '21 is because the '22 actually offers upgrades in the power, torque, fuel economy and tech departments. The '21 really doesn't give me anything beyond what my '05 has other than power and size. 2.5 Gens, while excellent in they're own right, are basically just bloated 1st Gens.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though. I'm not sure why anyone with a 2014+ Tundra is even considering buying a '22.

sn_85 and FrenchToasty like this.
  2. May 28, 2022 at 9:44 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I admittedly don't know much about the FGT.
    I've said that before repeatedly, too.

3. May 28, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    MrDirtjumper

MrDirtjumper Ol’ dickhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Slam Angelo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD, 2wd to 4wd Conv.
    You wanna fuckin bet?

4. May 28, 2022 at 9:47 AM
    DarkMint

DarkMint just gettin by

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra DC SR5 4WD
    Gorgeous photo btw.

MrDirtjumper[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. May 28, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    Acedude

Acedude New Member

Member:
    Colorado Plateau
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sequoia SR5 4WD
    RCI aluminum front skid, Timbren rear bumpstops, Carhartt seat covers and cargo area cover, Weathertech floorliners, Hewitt SAIP bypass, genuinecoolingsystems trans cooler, Lexus front diff fill/drain plugs
    I went from a '12 Taco V6 AC SR5 MT 4WD to an '05 Tundra 4.7 AC Limited 4WD. Was happy to do so. Tundra was so smooth and quiet with the triple door seals, no annoying driveline vibration, 4' wide drywall sheets fit between the wheelwells. The pushbutton 4WD system was much smoother actuating than the twistknob Taco. Loved the column shifter and full instrumentation, and got $14k price differential.

Jack McCarthy[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 30, 2022 at 5:18 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    Because anyone with a Gen 2.5 can get close to what they paid, if not make money on their truck toward a trade in on a new 2022; well probably should say 2023 now or soon. 8^0
    The trade in value is a compelling carrot.
    Among the issues for me however, is that for everything good they added to the new truck, they took that many "truck utility " things away from it too. The main reason I did not do anything earlier, plus the early first year issues holding me back.
    So a bit of a stalemate right now while I watch for the issues to be sorted and happily just drive my 2018.
    The latest problem I saw with water dripping from the driver grip handle is disappointing.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Silver17 and RookieEP like this.
  7. May 30, 2022 at 6:22 AM
    FLTon

FLTon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CM TRD Sport
    Get your concerns will QC. Everyone has their own assessment of assessment there. But what “truck utility” do you feel they took away?

8. May 30, 2022 at 7:05 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    This has been covered already on this forum, but for me personally.
    I can't load dressers, large screen TVs behind the front seats anymore. Thats SUV quality waterproof storage area.
    2.5 Gen Cab was Class Leading in size.
    My dog is too big to sit on a 3rd Gen platform placed on the frame that was designed to hold the batteries.
    2.5 Gen was not totally flat with seats up but good enough.
    Overall Cab size is smaller.

Bumper - gone SUV - no step up standard. that's a miss. And the add on under bumper step up costs alot. Should have come standard.

Bed size - smaller not as tall anymore to swallow items, and not as wide. My miter saw would need (visual assume) to go in set at angle with tonneau cover.
    Actual Cubic space can be fixed with the longer bed on Crewmax that I am actually considering, but damn, I am stuck with a longer bed when not using it.

The rear axle on the 2.5 gen has a higher load rating than the 3.0 Gen. Just saying piece of mind.

With that this truck for anyone coming from a small Tacoma or other midsize is a good bump up. IMO
    Except .....I do wonder if a Ridgeline owner has just as much cubic space holding power with the trunk under the bed versus short bed? 8^0

For a Truck Person - the truck manufacturer should never go down on Cubic Space Holding Power. Toyota Did.
    hence contributing to the title of this thread.

Just some thoughts.

Silver17, RookieEP and Terndrerrr like this.
  9. May 30, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    FLTon

FLTon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CM TRD Sport
    For what it’s worth, I moved my daughter this weekend and easily fit a 55” tv inside my CM (along with what felt like millions of hoodies and shoes), and a crazy amount of kitchen stuff. 21.4 MPG (didn’t need a trailer).

My 120lb dog has no problems fitting. Use a seat cover though not floor. Kids back there too. I don’t think he noticed the 3/4 inch difference. I do like the extra inch of headroom so maybe.

I can tow and haul (albeit a hauling is a negligible amount) more. Does it matter the rear axel is rated higher if it doesn’t translate to anything?

22PlatWCP and Breathing Borla like this.
  10. May 30, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad its working our for you. Re: the Dog - its not about him fitting..Its about not becoming a licking post for him or allowing him to jump out the open rear window which he can do on the seat. The Floor swallows him and he is content.

Now IMO the biggest negative perception Toyota had going into the Gen 3 intro was the loss of the V8. Remember I am talking perception here.
    Their engineers did everything they could to create an engine in this case with batteries, to be like a V8 and more.
    Rear seat storage space be damned.
    I personally wish they had created a true Hybrid, that could run on battery for a stretch and gets a lot better gas mileage.
    The current model is a temporary stop gap - IMO. They will need to introduce a true Hybrid if they continue with the Tundra.
    Still may end up in new Tundra. The issue is there aren't any available on the lot. I can wait for the current situation to change.
    btw I get 18 mpg with the 5.7. Getting 3 mpg better in a 2022 is not enough from a mileage perspective to change.

koaltar back seat.jpg

trj and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  11. May 30, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    FLTon

FLTon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CM TRD Sport
    To be clear, I’m not encouraging anyone to buy a 22. This thing could get 10 mpg better and it wouldn’t make sense to change just based on MPG. I’m curious though why the comments about less utility come up (repeatedly) when it’s not less utility. It’s more personal preference. I.e. can’t open back window when dog is in truck.

Or the thought that the hybrid replaces the V8 when the base in the SR5 up provides more HP and lb-ft of torque. Current could be a stopgap. Who knows. But aren’t they all? Technology isn’t going to stop advancing.

Breathing Borla likes this.
  12. May 30, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    @FLTon
    well I am not sure about that ... that would be pretty damn good !
    It would be competing with my wifes outback.

Glad your truck is working for you..

13. May 30, 2022 at 1:43 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Let's say I could sell my truck for what I bought it for ($45k) and I could get $8k off a new one (which is what I got off my current truck when I bought it), putting my purchase price at $51k. If my average fuel economy goes from 15 L/100 km (16 mpg) to 9 L/100 km (26 mpg), at current fuel prices of $1.65/L and my average driving amount of 6000 km/year, it would take me over 10 years to recoup that initial investment.

I doubt most of the guys who are pushing for others to buy a 2022 even keep their trucks that long.

Anyone who takes exception to any of my assumptions, feel free to do the calculation for your own use case and also remember to factor in what you owe on your current truck if it isn't paid off.

$50k - $45k = 6000 km/yr * (15 - 9) L/100 km * $1.65/ L * X

Solve for X, which is your payback period in years.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  14. May 30, 2022 at 1:49 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    I have a simpler calculation, I don’t give a shit about mpg and just buy what I want , ha!

cemarshall, 22PlatWCP and FLTon like this.
  15. May 30, 2022 at 1:53 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    If we use a more realistic fuel economy of 21 mpg based on what's been reported here and by the media and we assume no discount on the new truck given the market, we get a payback period of 35 years.

16. May 30, 2022 at 1:55 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I think my point was no one should give a shit about fuel economy because you don't come out ahead if you spend all your time buying new vehicles chasing even up to 10 mpg.

17. May 30, 2022 at 2:30 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    For me it would be to increase payload 300+ pounds, partially by getting a full size bed (going back to a DC), off road (going to an OR from Platinum) better ride and handling (IMO), and better MPG. Some of this is clearly to correct purchase decisions on my 2019.

What's holding me back is mostly the extra length, questionable reliability, and what makes the Tundra superior to the F150 and RAM at this point, including cost.

I'm in no hurry though.

Festerw and Outbound[QUOTED] like this.
  18. May 30, 2022 at 3:56 PM
    FLTon

FLTon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CM TRD Sport
    legit concern. This is my one annoyance. You can’t really tell driving just in u turns. So not sure why but give me bed length but don’t sneak extra yardage into the front. Assumed it’s for the TT but the garage is tight.

19. May 30, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    sn_85

sn_85 New Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra 4WD, 2013 Land Cruiser, 2022 RAM 2500 Bighorn
    I see this comment a lot and I think it's a very common misconception. The Tacoma has had the same cab size since 2005. So while exterior bits, low hanging plastics, large hood bulges have made the Tacoma grow dimensionally the actual interior cabin space is the same as it has since the introduction of the 2nd gen. Meaning low seating position, low roof height, narrow width and a tight backseat even in the Double Cab config. Bed lengths have remained the same with 5ft and 6ft options and I think the 3rd gen Taco might have a slightly taller bed??? So while from 2nd gen to 3rd gen the Taco may have grown in each dimension the actual usability of that space where it matters has not. It's just additional fluff from a long hood and massive chin. Published numbers are also a little deceiving since many times they measure width from fender to fender and not the actual body. I've parked my FGT next to 3rd gen Tacoma's and it's not very difficult to see from the eye test that the FGT is a larger vehicle in all dimensions. I have both a FGT DC and 2nd gen Tacoma DC and the interior cabin space is notably bigger in the FGT.

It will be interesting to see what Toyota comes up with for the 4th gen Tacoma. I would have to believe the cab design would be all new and likely 1-2" larger in each dimension. I hope it comes closer in size to the FGT because as it currently stands, I find the interior space of the Tacoma to be quite small and uncomfortable.

I'm not going to say the FGT is a better truck than a 3rd gen Tacoma. They are afterall at least 16 year old trucks. However I would say that my 06 DC is roomier, more comfortable, has a smoother powertrain, more TQ, and has at least 300lbs more payload compared to a similar Tacoma.

20. Jun 2, 2022 at 11:01 AM
    cemarshall

cemarshall New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SW Tundra TRD Pro
    Roll-n-Lock A Series Bed Cover, Rough Country AL2 Drop Steps, JDM stage 3 OBD2 plug n play
    Alright, I've been reading this thread for what seems like a week lol. I've held back on posting because for a while, because I did halfway agree with some of the points being made. The more I've thought about it though, this is super nit picky and not relative to all the great aspects of the truck that far outweigh the slight cons. My takes are: 1.) If you're driving a truck that is your livelihood, you should be in a 3/4 ton diesel. 2.) If you're off-roading in a 4x4 vehicle to the point of commonly needing front tow hooks, you should absolutely have a replacement bumper equipped with stronger hooks and anchor point. I grew up on the texas coast guiding fishing trips, and have a ranch in south texas and have had a need for them maybe twice. 3.) After owning a 22' 1794 and now TRD Pro, I can speak to the QC issues. My 1794 had some small check engine light issues and the evaporator coil sprung a leak. At that time, they weren't taking the necessary QC measures before getting them to the dealerships. After the complaints (myself included, almost went lemon law on that), all new tundra's are getting put on substantial QA holds before going to port, then to dealer to ensure those fit/finish, and small quirks won't be popping up shortly after driving it off the lot. I couldn't be happier with the pro. It's a very capable truck and will give any truck in the class a run for its money. Rant over

Kagisexton and FLTon like this.
  21. Jun 2, 2022 at 11:26 AM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
  22. Jun 2, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    1) Why not a one ton diesel?

23. Jun 2, 2022 at 12:11 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    FLTon likes this.
  24. Jun 2, 2022 at 12:21 PM
    cemarshall

cemarshall New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SW Tundra TRD Pro
    Roll-n-Lock A Series Bed Cover, Rough Country AL2 Drop Steps, JDM stage 3 OBD2 plug n play
    Because by every metric it's a better and should I add for those complaining its smaller, bigger truck than the previous generation.

25. Jun 2, 2022 at 12:24 PM
    cemarshall

cemarshall New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SW Tundra TRD Pro
    3/4 ton, 1 ton. who gives a shit lol. If your line of work calls for HD, a tundra doesnt belong in the conversation.

Kagisexton likes this.
  26. Jun 2, 2022 at 12:58 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    The thing is 'is it worth $35k CAD' more than a 2.5 gen? My opinion is no, but I haven't driven it. If you're looking at getting into a new vehicle and have comparable trim 60k '21 or 65k '22 then I'd go '22. But to take the loss in value and start fresh on a loan I don't see the '22 being better enough to warrant trading in a nearly, or completely paid off 2.5 gen.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  27. Jun 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM
    cemarshall

cemarshall New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SW Tundra TRD Pro
    I’m with ya there. It wouldn’t make sense in that scenario from value/loan perspective. The truck is great but unless you’ve got money to play with, the old gen will do. I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on the pro if i didn’t get a truck allowance and fuel card for work.

28. Jun 2, 2022 at 2:17 PM
    Osiris

Osiris New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    20 Plat
    Hybrid rear axle is bigger than non-hybrid. You can delete the underseat storage cabinet if you want.

29. Jun 2, 2022 at 2:21 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I have a '22 coming in with my name on it. A comparable trim '21 came up on car gurus with 18,000kms. on it. They're asking $66,500. My '22 is around $57,800. Low mileage 1 - 3 year old trucks are generally more expensive than a new one in this insane market.

But yes. If you have a paid off or nearly paid off 2.5 gen, you'd be silly to buy a '22 at this point. You'd be even sillier if you have a whole bunch left owing on it. Personally, I'm coming from a '05. It's a pretty big step up.

30. Jun 2, 2022 at 2:54 PM
    pursuit2550

pursuit2550 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 DC Attitude Black
    Here in Miami I can get a used 19 SR5 10k for $36k. A 19 Limited with 27k for $47k. 2020-21 are around $4-5k more. You have some crazy prices there, wow.

Kagisexton likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top