1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory bed liner coming away at the drain plug

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by TMMTX, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Feb 15, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    TMMTX

TMMTX [OP] New Member

Member:
    None
    Hey everyone,

Quick question. I had the factory bedliner in my 2017 CM, recently I installed a bakflip tonneau cover, and in doing so I found that the bedliner wasn't adhering to the drain caps at the front of the truck near the cab. I had to drill through them still on the truck to create water drainage holes and a lot of the the material completely came away from the majority of the plastic cap.

Should I get an exacto blade and just cut the caps away completely or maybe see if the dealer can re-apply the bed liner in the places it came away?

It really annoys me that they don't remove the bolts and caps before applying the liner.

2. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    I would take change caps. They shouldn't have sprayed the plastic caps... If there was anything exposed under the caps then consider applying some liner on exposed areas..Bolts are fine.
    I had issues with the "warranty" from factory installed bed liner.. I have a chip off the tailgate @ 5k miles and they said it was a wear and tear item that they wouldn't cover.

Tundraplatinum likes this.
  3. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    Tundraplatinum

Tundraplatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum CM
    as long as its adhering to the metal around the caps I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Feb 15, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    The caps are removable. I used a razor blade to the cut bedliner around the caps before I removed them so it wouldn't peel around it.

Law323 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  5. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    I don't know about you but I'd be super pissed if the factory bedliner on my '17 wasn't installed correctly. It sounds as though yours was not. I'd take it back and ask them to fix it.

6. Feb 15, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    TMMTX

TMMTX [OP] New Member

Member:
    None
    I don't really care that the caps don't have liner, just that I can't remove them now when I need to. For example, in using a step bit to drill the holes for the drainage, I am certain I may have touched the cab behind it. I need to now get some touch up paint back there too. lol.

I'll try to use a razor blade to get behind the caps and remove them completely. Then probably not worry about it. Thinking about touching up around the area if need be with some spray can version like the rustoleum or the armor one.

7. Feb 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    Mine was done the same way. The LineX just doesn't adhere good to the smooth plastic caps

I did the same thing. I used a razor to cut the LineX, used a step bit, and bought some 90* bend couplers used for home irrigation to slip on the drain tube and through the hole in the cap.

Products Discussed in

To Top