1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extended Warranty.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by cashsmoney, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2019 at 2:50 PM
    SYRTundra315

SYRTundra315 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    OEM nerf bars, BakFlip MX4, BedRug, VLED interior lights and license plate bulbs, JDM Astar turn signal and reverse bulbs.
    Jennifer was very responsive to email. As an FYI she has new contact info.

Jennifer Taylor
    Wolverine Toyota
    16490 Tecumseh, Dundee, MI 48131
    734-242-3900
    jtaylor@gowolverinetoyota.com

phabej, hiline406 and jtwags like this.
  2. Feb 1, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Back to this topic again lol

HVAC/compressor amplifier went bad on me. Customer cost to fix from a dealer would be 3hrs labor and the parts $704. Covered under warranty :)

Obviously I could probably shop around and get the part for maybe 4-500 elsewhere online.

3. Jun 8, 2020 at 7:26 AM
    crkillian

crkillian New Member

Member:
    Has anyone used Jennifer for an EW lately? I didn’t know if she was still a good source.
    I just purchased a 2020 Limited Crew Cab and the dealer quoted me 4800 for 8yr/125K miles. I about laughed out loud. Needless to say I am looking for another option.

4. Jun 8, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I don't go for extended warranties because I figure they're designed to let dealers take advantage of the bathtub curve of failure. Standard bumper to bumper warranty (and powertrain warranty) takes care of any infant mortality issues and most non-wear components will typically have a life longer than the 8 years/1xxk miles that is the max EW length you can buy.

Boerseun likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    TomyTun

TomyTun New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road, Crewmax, 5.7L Non-FFV
    None
    PM on its way.

6. Jun 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    Tisoy281

Tisoy281 New Member

Member:
    Used her for my wife's Rav4 about 2 months ago, as my Tundra was out of the warranty window being a 2017.

7. Jun 9, 2020 at 8:43 AM
    Bronco Ken

Bronco Ken New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 1794
    My dealer covers the powertrain for life with free oil changes and state inspections. They offered me a 10 yr 120k extended warranty for $2k so I took it to cover the electronics and anything else that might pop up. I kept my 03 Tundra for 8 years and I plan on keeping my 1794 to be my last truck.

8. Jun 19, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    Vendeta2k

Vendeta2k Distinguished Member Of The Cement Club

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Cement CM
    Just purchased mine from the above stated individual....painless process and now some piece of mind in case anything should happen over the next 70k

9. Jun 19, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    My problem is that I put too many miles on my truck. I will be at 120k before it is 5 years old, so I lose the 10 year coverage (it's always time or miles, what ever is first). The first 60k drivetrain is covered by factory already, so I would pay $2k to be covered for about 2 years and 60k, and not the advertised 10yr 120k. To me that is not worth it.
    I have had 4 Toyotas in a row now that I did not buy the warranty, and I never needed it. So $2k x 4; I am $8k ahead. If something happens now and I have to pay for it out of pocket, I will still be ahead.

phabej, ToyoMafia and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  10. Jun 20, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    offsetplayer2

offsetplayer2 New Member

Member:
    Woods and Fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno CM 4WD
    Y’all ever seen an unlimited miles and never expiring bumper to bumper warranty? When I purchased mine in 2018 the dealer provided a lifetime Powertrain. They then offered a third party bumper to bumper. Never expires no miles limit. We decided to take it. As long as you keep the maintenance up, which you should anyway, they’ll cover about 99%. They don’t cover basic wear items like brake pads tires etc but if the radio goes out or door motors or anything else like that then it’s covered. A couple of weeks after we got the truck the dealer was merging with another and they were no longer able to offer that warranty. It’s third party but I can take it to the Toyota dealership and have them perform the work if I want too and they’ll still pay it. My choice of mechanic. $100 deductible though.

I believe this is the correct brochure if interested.

https://warrantysolutions.com/docs/content/Download Forms/2016/5 Star Wrap brochure.pdf

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. Jun 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    This site has saved me a fortune. I got a high price initially too. Mentioned this site. That is all it took. They lowered the price to $100 above there cost.

Love this site!!!

12. Jun 21, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Same here. Self insured always have been and always will be. I would not buy anything that I thought I needed an extended warranty for. When I bought my 2013 Tacoma I had to listen to the hard sell. Crap like why do you think we have service bays. I felt like asking if they were servicing Chevys and Fords. I told him to keep it up and I am going to just turn my back and look out the door. When I went in to finance on the Tundra I told the dude upfront not to waste his time. I cant believe he obliged.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  13. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Does anyone know if Jennifer offers EW for brands other than Toyota? Is she a broker for fidelity/JM&A?
    My 2018 Armada is slowly approaching 60k, powertrain for life, but bumper-bumper runs out then.
    Looking for options and piece of mind.

It's been a great vehicle so far.
    Although we did just have an issue with the SRS system that is being covered under warranty, going to be somewhere between $1500-$2000. Tech said he's never seen a failure of the SRS system like that, hopefully a very rare issue.

14. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    CourtJester

CourtJester New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro, 2015 Tacoma
    If you feel like you need an extended warranty...

#1. You shouldn’t make the purchase

#2. You have a history of not taking care of your shit and need to fix yourself first

#3. You like to spend money on things you don’t need because it makes you feel better

15. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Well now that that's out of the way.

I already own the vehicle and it's simply approaching the end of it's bumper to bumper coverage.

I take care of my vehicles, likely better than you take care of yourself.

I prefer piece of mind. And if you can afford piece of mind, then why not? I should scrap my life insurance too right? Maybe cancel my homeowner's policy?

The Armada is driven out of state weekly, loaded down, loaded up, and pulls a camper thousands of miles per year. I can afford it, I'll buy it, I prefer piece of mind over luck.

Tracy Perry likes this.
  16. Jun 25, 2020 at 8:16 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Comparing home insurance and life insurance to an extended warranty on a vehicle is apples to oranges.

17. Jun 26, 2020 at 3:08 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Disagree. They're all forms of insurance.

-I don't plan on my house burning down.
    -I don't plan on an untimely demise.
    -I don't plan on a vehicle system failure.

All 3 cost money, all 3 afford additional piece of mind. Only 1, life insurance, has the potential of residual value depending on policy type.

Would you also argue that carrying collision/comp on a vehicle is a waste of money?

18. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    i got this from my dealership I bought from..
    plus my insurance has mechanical break down insurance $3 bucks a month, $250 deductible, but I don't think ill need this unless the first option isn't going to cover it.

I won't be needing extended warranties.

I am only at 17k, almost 2 yrs of ownership now .. hm at this rate, i won't be hitting 100k for another 11 yrs! :D

Image 392.jpg
    Image 393.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    OBXTundra likes this.
  19. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    now what is this?
    what does it actually cover?
    that $19 is surely a monthly price, correct?

20. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The short of it, (attached the doc)

Term & Coverage

This Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, issued to you, applies only to your Vehicle and cannot be
    transferred. This Limited Warranty will expire the instant the Vehicle is sold to another party, given
    away, or traded. Any change to the preprinted terms and conditions of the Limited Warranty is invalid
    and of no force or effect. If any information on this Limited Warranty is in error, contact the Warrantor
    immediately. If a malfunction, defect, or Failure occurs in a Covered Component, the Warrantor will pay
    for the repair or replacement of the covered item, subject to the terms and conditions listed herein.
    Covered Components are only those components designated by the Vehicle manufacturer as
    “Powertrain” components, along with the following components (if applicable).

Deductible

All repairs performed under this Limited Warranty have a $100 deductible per visit. However, in the
    event Your Vehicle is repaired under the manufacturer’s powertrain warranty or certified powertrain
    warranty, the Warrantor will reimburse you for any deductible incurred from the manufacturers repair.

Limit of Liability

The Warrantor’s liability per repair visit, under any circumstances, will not exceed the NADA “clean
    trade-in” value of Your Vehicle immediately prior to Breakdown. The total of all benefits paid or payable
    under this Limited Warranty will not exceed the price you paid for Your Vehicle (excluding tax, title and
    license fees). The Warrantor’s liability for incidental and consequential damages including, but not
    limited to personal injury, physical damage, property damage, loss of Vehicle use, loss of time,
    inconvenience and commercial loss resulting from the operation, repair, maintenance, or use of this
    Vehicle is expressly excluded. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or
    consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Maintenance & Records

MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS: To obtain the benefits provided ty this Limited Warranty, Covered
    Components must be maintained at a Licensed Repair Facility in accordance with the Covered
    Component manufacturers recommendations. Failure to follow the manufacturers service guidelines
    may result in denial of coverage. Proper documentation and verifiable receipts for all relevant
    maintenance and repairs may be required in the event of a claim. Receipts must reflect proper Vehicle
    documentation (i.e. year, make, and model), the complete Vehicle Identification Number, the current
    mileage of the Vehicle at the time of repair, and the date the service was performed. Handwritten
    receipts will not be accepted. If a Failure is consistent with lack of proper maintenance, yet you are able
    to produce relevant maintenance records demonstrating proper maintenance in accordance with
    manufacturer requirements, the claim will not be denied. At no time will lack of maintenance records be
    the sole reason for claim denial.
    MAINTENANCE RECORD RETENTION: If you return your Vehicle to the Selling Company for all
    maintenance and repairs, your Selling Company will not only properly maintain Your Vehicle as
    recommended by the manufacturer, but they will also retain copies of your maintenance records to
    assure proper record retention

$19/6 month premium, so $38/year.

Attached Files:

OBXTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    Thanks. Got it.
    I do have lifetime powertrain.
    It's everything outside of that, electronic, technology, etc...That is prone to failure that I worry about.

22. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LOL most stuff I can change out, most people probably already have. My biggest concern is always the powertrain. I already swapped out my head unit for aftermarket.

Besides Tundra's isn't loaded with electronic tech.

OBXTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    It's the big tech that you don't consider that actually costs a shit ton of money.
    And unfortunately my Nissan Armada has a lot of big tech. The Tundra didn't bother me just carrying lifetime powertrain, I had an SR5, so yes correct, very little tech.
    -On the Armada...
    -The nav/radio/climate system is integrated, OEM only replacement available. Likely $2k or more parts only.
    -Auto leveling rear air suspension system. $1200+ replacement cost.
    -SRS system with stability that rivals the Land Cruiser type super computer for vehicle management. Currently having $2k of replacement parts/labor that the Nissan master tech said he has never seen fail in his career, under existing warranty.
    -ECM, FI, ETC....

Mind you the rate of failure is low, same as most Toyota and Nissan vehicles, and really Mazda for the matter (maybe my most reliable care free vehicle yet). But if one of those big ticket tech items goes, the EW will immediately pay for itself. For me it's all piece of mind. There are individuals that would choose to not carry health insurance, your body is the same as a vehicle, shit breaks. But, that's how I look at all insurance, mitigating risk, it's a large part of my career. Same goes for levels of insurance that individuals choose to carry on their vehicles, lot's of options to weight.

Again, I know this is personal preference. I'm not trying to justify why I want an EW or try to sell someone on it. I just want input on what people have had luck with as far as the companies that offer them.

phabej likes this.
  24. Jun 28, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    I just purchased an extended warranty from Jennifer. 6/100K. Never thought I would buy one for a Toyota but my output shaft seal blew. Transfer case needs to be pulled. Lucky it still under warranty, but it about to expire. Now I have piece of mind. If I had to pay out of pocket this seal would cost me over a grand.

OBXTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top