1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust questions

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by scturndra, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Aug 15, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    scturndra

scturndra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wall
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra extra cab sr5 4.6v8
    I am thinking about changing my muffler/exhaust out and wanted some input.
    1- is there a difference in performance (hp/mpg) between putting a flow master muffler in where the stock one and have a 1 in and 1 out, opposed to putting a 1 in and 2 out and have dual exhaust?
    2- which is better brand flow master, master flow? I am not wanting it load matter of fact I like the soft grawl it has now but I am looking for more performance.
    3- some shops say I need to put a exhaust resonator to help get more preformamce. From my understanding that just changes the sound and does not help.

like I said I am not wanting to wake the dead or even hear it in the truck but I know I will get some sound with the better air flow.

2. Aug 15, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    @dirtydeeds

Edit: Thanks for the correction, mod. I was wondering why it didn't make a suggestion when I started typing....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. Aug 15, 2016 at 3:15 PM
    Lee's rig

Lee's rig Party naked

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    North nj
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC and 2014 single cab both 8' bed with 5.7
    To many
    You want more performance? You have to do alot of things. Just the muffler will not help much, except for better sound. Full exhaust meaning heads back! Then there are other things you can due to let it breath better and take more air and gas in at cooler temps. An super charger may be the best way to get performance but that is big $,. But so is doing everything else to try to get there with out one.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  4. Aug 15, 2016 at 3:16 PM
    Lee's rig

Lee's rig Party naked

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    North nj
    Vehicle:
    To many
    Alot of Times people hear a louder noise and think they are getting better performance when it actually hurt it.

5. Aug 15, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    Lee's rig

Lee's rig Party naked

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    North nj
    Vehicle:
    To many
    That being said I love the ba exhaust. I have the budget system. I like noise. There is a little drone but it isn't that loud. I got the system to hear my truck and make it finally sound like a v8. I also have the sr model so I am sure the sound deadening isn't as good as other models

6. Aug 15, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    My dual in/dual out Flowmaster Super 40 setup is near perfect. Sean and Brian will get to hear it Sat at ToyTec customer appreciation days. They can judge for themselves. "Matt, that setup really sucks!" Dang it.

7. Aug 15, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Notice how I find a way to keep plugging in ToyTec's Customer Appreciation Day???

8. Sep 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    main thing when considering another exhaust system for use with stock exhaust manifolds is that you will want to keep with the stock dimensions as closely as possible thru the entire system. You will also want to control the drone somehow.

BAmufflers has worked out a solution to both of this problems and wrapped it up into a simple bolt which is shipped around the world everyday:)

dirtydeedsindustries.com

9. Sep 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM
    scturndra

scturndra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wall
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra extra cab sr5 4.6v8
    Dirtydeeds,
    I have a quick question... In an earlier post you stated that Tundra's were designed to have a 2 in and 1 out exhaust. 1- so what does or how does a dual exhaust help the performance of the truck? 2- would replacing the stock with a aftermarket 2 in 1 out exhaust help or hurt?

10. Sep 30, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    Hi. You want to blend the two banks of exhaust as smoothly as possible. Forcing them together into a muffler causes excessive back pressure. You will notice mid and top range torque loss.

Our dual exhaust, and any other dual exhaust which uses a flow thru design gains 3-10hp and 10-20tq to the rear wheels. Unfortunately there is less low end torque compared to our single exhaust.

Give a call if ya have any other questions. 760-877-4234

Products Discussed in

To Top