1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Errors / Bad Gas / Broken Injectors?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by N3Media, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Dec 29, 2016 at 2:35 PM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra LTD 4.7L
    Long tube headers, Magna flow exhaust, Cold air intake, 300k miles on stock non adjusted engine.
    Hello,
    Quick rundown on the truck.
    My Tundra is a 2000 LTD 4.7L. It has long tube headers and magna flow exhaust, cold air intake, a faulty O2 sensor, shitty steering rack, and a freshly replaced radiator.
    All in all it runs good for a 2000 with 300k and no major engine work or adjustments. I use castrol synthetic oil and change it every 5k miles. Its usually still somewhat golden at each change, which blows my mind for this many miles on these rings.

Anywho, I was recently almost on empty and stopped at a local station to get $20 in regular unleaded. Truck ran fine when I pulled into the station. When I left the station, within a half mile, the truck was running horribly, really rough, misfiring, could hardly get it to move. On my way home I got some fuel treatment for water in the fuel. Limped home a few miles to check the OBD2 for code errors. It originally said MAF sensor error, but after clearing and starting over, that code went away and I was left with 4 codes.
    General Misfire Error, Cylinder 5 misfire, cylinder 7 misfire, and fuel Too Rich Bank 1. I am wondering if my injectors went bad instead of the possible bad fuel?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    It tend to run ok at higher RPM, and like a Harley at low RPM.

2. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:04 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I'm not THAT familiar with the 4.7L, but something real quick that you could try for free is to see if the coil pack that distributes spark for cylinder 5 also does for cylinder 7. This is how our Sienna was set up. We were getting two cylinders that were throwing misfire codes. On that vehicle, there was a coil pack on three of the six cylinders and from each of those packs was a plug wire that ran to another cylinder. When the pack starts to die, two cylinders were getting intermittent spark (misfires). To verify this, I moved the pack to another location changing it out with one of the others. I then drove it until I got another CEL. For me, the misfire codes went from being cylinders A/B to cylinders C/D. New coil pack sorted it out. About $100.

3. Dec 29, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    FlashCulprit

FlashCulprit ColoradoTJ's whipping boy/Gino's illegitimate son.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White SR5 TRD 5.7 4x4
    Sounds like bad gas. But that also may be the straw that broke the camels back. I would check the injectors and plugs out just to be safe though.

Did you notice any increases in oil pressure/temp?
    This is also a possible reason. Keep an eye out for increased emission and bouncing all over the place at idol. That can be indicative of possible o2 failure.

4. Dec 31, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    N3Media

N3Media [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra LTD 4.7L
    Long tube headers, Magna flow exhaust, Cold air intake, 300k miles on stock non adjusted engine.
    No increase in pressure or temp. As far as I know, the O2 has been bad for a long time. Ha! I feel like an idiot saying that! It gets easily over looked. But to be honest, the truck has run perfectly with only an occasional bad O2 reading, probably something with the wires or connectors. I'm heading out to check plugs, injectors, and possibly try to drain some of the tank.

Products Discussed in

To Top