1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Ticking - 2003 Tundra Limited 4.7l 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by WOOKIE711, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Sep 16, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    WOOKIE711

WOOKIE711 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Grey Tundra Limited 4x4
    Hello,

My Tundra is making a ticking noise (almost like a metallic chugging sound - uhaul truck-esque) that increases with engine RPM. The sound is coming from the driver's side and is most noticeable under slight load at highway cruising speeds (think 65 mph going slightly uphill at around 2k RPMs).

I've put the truck in reverse, parking brake on, and hit the gas pedal, but this does not replicate the noise (this was my test for exhaust leak / cracked manifold).

Also (could be related), the valve train appears to make noise when idling in park from the driver's side. The noise has been present for multiple years, but I am getting tired of hearing it.
    Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sep 16, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Tomball, Tx./Lafayette, La.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra CM
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    You may have a bent valve or stuck lifter. If it's a stuck lifter, try doing a SeaFoam treatment to clean out the gunk in the engine. Do a google search for a youtube video to show you how. It's the cheapest place to start to find the problem.

3. Sep 16, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    WOOKIE711

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Deuxlatch,

Been doing some more digging and saw (online and in the Haynes book) that valves should be checked after 60,000 miles. Has this been considered a necessary procedure or super conservative. Thinking of making an appointment to have it done, if only to be certain and keep it turning another couple hundred thousand miles.

Deuxlatch likes this.
  4. Sep 16, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    coyote

coyote New Member

Member:
    Wrist pin?

5. Sep 16, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    2uz-fe engines don't have lifters in the traditional sense. The DOHC uses what's know as buckets or shims between the cam lobe and valve. Do a search for shims or buckets and you'll see a couple of threads discussing the set-up. As far as checking the valves, every post I've seen here or other forums for the 2uz-fe says yes there is a spec for a feeler gauge, but unless you suspect negligent oil change intervals or other reason for increased wear, the cam and buckets will go 300k-400k and still be in spec. Also, unless your really trust your mechanic, I'd be wary of having some millennial yanking parts off the top of my otherwise perfectly running motor. Too many horror stories of truck runs great going to the shop, then runs like crap after the shop.

6. Sep 16, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    WOOKIE711

Member:
    Vehicle:
    reminton351,

I am my mechanic usually, but this is one of those things that is beyond me (also don't want to "learn" this kinda stuff on my daily driver). I'm not even at 200k miles yet, plus the mechanic at the TOYO dealership just confirmed what you said about not needing to do it. Other than being an annoyance, I'm still not sure what the noise could be. Hasn't gotten worse in 4 almost 5 years of ownership. I'm going to keep chugging along.

7. Sep 17, 2019 at 5:19 AM
    bajaphile

bajaphile New Member

Member:
    Solana Beach, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 Limited
    Icon Coilovers, Icon AALs, JBA headers, 285/75r16 BFG KO2s
    I'm always up for checking the simple things first, but you should check your steering shaft seal (where the shaft passes the firewall) and see if its torn. It might just be some amplified sound coming in from the engine bay. Sounds like a ticking/exhaust leak when really its just the normal sound reverberating right into the cab.

8. Sep 17, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Not all millenials are shit @remington351 I'm one by definition although I share none of their common symptoms. Agree with the rest of your post.

There is also a known noise that sounds like valve tick but it has to do with injectors and the solve is relocating the ground wire. Sorry I can't recall the details, my truck never had that issue but look into it.

9. Sep 17, 2019 at 11:46 AM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    You're right, Darkness. I shouldn't pick on millennials. I'm sure there are lazy boomers and genx out there claiming to be expert mechanics as well.

Darkness[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top