1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ENGINE DIED AT 160K????

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by JusCookin4u, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Jun 24, 2022 at 5:03 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Bro this a Toyota, damn near bulletproof.

Bad gas would make your engine run like crap but shouldn’t seize or ruin it. If you turn the starter does it still turn over and try to start? If so it’s not seized.

Sounds like your dealer is really looking to make some money off you. Take it to a second shop for another opinion could literally save you thousands of dollars. Not a dealer, look for a 3rd party mechanic shop with good reviews.

$1000 diagnostic fee is highway robbery, they are taking advantage of you.

Toyota book says it’s takes 14 hours of labor to remove and replace an engine. At $4k they are charging like $285 and hour lol. If you need, a good used engine under 50k miles can be bought for under $5k and I’m not paying more than $2k for removal and install. Your dealer is double the price on everything.

I would think a fuel tank drain, tune up, fuel system clean, spark plugs ect and you should be good to go. Highly doubt bad gas completely totaled your engine but maybe.

Retired...finally likes this.
  2. Jun 24, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    Trailbreaker

Trailbreaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 1794 4x4 OR
    I am sure the engine is rebuildable, but with the volume they see in the dealership it will likely be sent off to a shop that is better set up for it. Your engine will just become part of that rotation. Well, if they are being honest about the repair anyway ...

I put about 190k miles on my Tacoma on Wawa gas about 30 minutes north of you in Burlington. I have always heard it was not the greatest, but never experienced it first hand.

Ugh, sorry you have to deal with this so early in its life.

3. Jun 24, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    endagon

endagon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 5.7
    Don't cases like this often start with no support tube in the oil filter cap? Someone yanks it with the filter, new filter collapses sometime afterwards, and boom out of the blue. Something to check.

4. Jun 24, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    https://youtu.be/Y1En6FKd5Pk

landphil[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 24, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    Mine went at 190k. Quotes from dealer for new engine $37k. Lol. Had an independent shop rebuild for 13k. A used engine, or rebuilt was first choice but none available.

6. Jun 24, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    agrestic1

agrestic1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 CrewMax
    AMP Research PowerStep, AMP BedStep Bumper Step, BedRug Carpet Bed Mat, Bazooka Powered Subwoofer Tube
  7. Jun 24, 2022 at 12:20 PM
    Mad Max

Mad Max New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Limited
    Truck is not worth new engine or rebuilt engine. Was a compression test taken? Leakdown test? My lexus pinged, continuously for 12K miles. I didn't care and zero damage to engine for 12,000 miles. I finally found the problem to be a hole in the air box resonator after the MAF sensor which caused the engine to run lean. Again 12,000 pinging miles and no damage. Do not attempt to tell me one bad tank of gas caused damage, lmao...

Retired...finally likes this.
  8. Jun 24, 2022 at 12:21 PM
    BMET

BMET New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited
    Sorry for your misfortune. If it is bad, I personally would take the engine that you found. Good price and good mileage. Keep us posted.?

Luckydog likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top