1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Help!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by ToyNutt, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Feb 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM
    ToyNutt

ToyNutt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Crewmax 5.7
    Hi everyone! I'm new and just got a 2012 Tundra with 28K miles last week. Had a problem yesterday and looking to see if anyone else has had this problem. Truck had a dead battery when I bought it, I jumped it and it drove fine. First thing I did was install a good battery and new terminals because the old ones and the battery hold down bracket were totally covered with corrosion. I've had and seen a lot of cars and never seen this bad of corrosion especially on a practically new truck. Any way truck has had no issues until yesterday. My girlfriend took it to work and after going to lunch she went to leave and truck was totally dead. I had her check everything I could think of and a mechanic happened to be nearby and tried to help. Truck got towed to dealership and took them an entire day to get it running. I am going to get it tomorrow and let the asshole service guy have it. He said the terminals were the problem, didn't allow enough voltage through. This pissed me off because I've done a lot of battery and terminal swaps and never had this issue, oh and somehow the truck ran great for a week, I call bs. Just want some input or if anyone has had the same problem. Thanks.

2. Feb 19, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    That sucks bro, but what's strange is it took the dealership an entire day. Was this a Toyota dealership? Never heard of terminals being problem. Yeah you want to keep them clean, but you put a new battery in. I have a 08 and just replaced the factory battery. Very interested in what you find out. Good luck

3. Feb 19, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    ToyNutt

ToyNutt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Crewmax 5.7
    Yes it was a Toyota dealer.

4. Feb 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    What's the cold cranking amps on that battery, also could be your ground cable possibly or a parasitic draw in your electrical system.

5. Apr 22, 2016 at 1:11 PM
    alalmcgrath

alalmcgrath Old Fart at Large!

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 SEQUOIA SR5
    None yet
    I know this is an old thread but for future reference it sounds like a broken battery post internal to the battery. (caused by excessive torque ing on the cable clamps.. This can cause intermittent problems and just show up once in a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top