1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Exhaust vs Single exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by himmy33, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Apr 27, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    himmy33

himmy33 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    I keep seeing it on this site people saying that dual exhaust leads to lower end torque and if you want to keep/possibly gain low end torque then one needs to keep a single exit exhaust. Is there any truth to this? If so why? Is this to say the Toyota TRD exhaust decreases low end torque? I thought it did the opposite. Please shed some light on this issue.

2. Apr 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    It's not like your truck will be a slug if you do... Well depending on your exhaust set up. But you can feel the difference. Your truck won't lose power, it just changes the powerband. The guy that wrote this in the link below is who I had make my dual exhaust. He does say track tested dual exhaust that he makes will get you gains, but normal driving or towing, not floored, you the tq is less on the low end. There are more things that he has written and I'll try and find them. But this is a good place to start. I love my system and I decided on duals just in case I ever get headers or my flex fuel could ever be safely supercharged.

The reason I didn't go with the trd exhaust is that it doesn't have an xpipe and I've read people do experience a significant low end loss.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...ons/135562-5-7l-tundra-true-dual-exhaust.html

3. Apr 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    His full exhaust replacement has a HUGE tq and hp gain though. It's when deciding on a cat-back system that it's best to have a single out.

4. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    If i understand correctly a true dual exhaust lowers the back pressure more than desired thus reducing low end torque.
    In order to keep the low end torque closer to factory, each of the exhaust manifolds need to "y"together (either at the pipe or muffler) to reduce the flow and increase back pressure. This can be accomplished with either a single output or non true dual exhaust.

5. Apr 2, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    treborh 1941

treborh 1941 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 5.7 V8
    Stock from factory
    I would like to know the correct answer. I have dual exhust but one muffler. Both sides leading into one muffler and it has two outlets. What does this do?????????

6. Apr 3, 2016 at 12:59 AM
    chphilo

chphilo New Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    The older TRD exhaust was like that (07-08). I don't think that's considered a true dual exhaust. Newer TRD exhaust (09 and newer) is a true dual exhaust.

My truck did not come with the TRD exhaust. I had it installed some time after I bought my truck so I have a fair point of comparison. I have not experienced ANY power loss after the installation. Because of some rumors of lower end power loss, I did pay special attention to the low end.

I did not dyno the truck. But if I cannot tell the difference, I certainly would not call that a "significant" loss. If this claims of significant low end loss is correct, that would mean Toyota is selling their best selling trim (TRD Pro) by severely handicapping them (which doesn't make sense to me).

ColoradoTJ and RowdyRon like this.
To Top