1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving in S-6 fuel mileage.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Rngr188, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Jun 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 [OP] Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    For the past week or so I've been driving my new truck, 4500 miles on it, in S6 and seem to be getting a little bit better mileage. It still up and down shifts on its own but is this a correct assumption that its helping or could my truck just be getting broke in? It just seemed though that once i started doing this mileage instantly started increasing by about 2 mpg.

2. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You are not imagining anything.

Probably noticed that while driving in shift mode, the transmission doesn't downshift as much when braking huh?

Not sure if the owners manual pages are still accurate, but this was from a 2nd gen:

On page 177 of the owner's manual:
    Use engine braking (downshift) to maintain a safe speed when driving down a steep hill.
    On page 187 of the ownner's manual:
    Shift position uses
    *1:To improve fuel consumption and reduce noises, set the shift lever in D for normal driving.
    *2:Selecting shift ranges S mode restricts the upper limit of the possible gear ranges, control

engine braking forces, and prevents unnecessary upshifting.

Additionally, when driving in S mode with Cruise Control being used, keep the following in mind:

When driving with the cruise control system (if equipped)The engine brake will not operate in the S mode, even when downshifting to 5 or 4 (6-speed models) or 4 or 3 (5-speed models). (→P. 221)

Hope that helps a little.

treihing and DVYota like this.
  3. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    Rngr188

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    Yea i had read that engine breaking didnt work in shift mode which is fine even though i like it on some of our hilly Ozark roads and I'll drive it in D when driving through the mountains but on the highway I've been just putting it in S6 as soon as I put it in gear and going on about my way. I kind of like it.

15whtrd and ColoradoTJ like this.
  4. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So "S" Shift mode is potentially desirable for daily driving where gas mileage is a priority?

Here is a line out of my 2017 manual... seems to go against this theory.

"For best fuel economy during normal driving conditions, always drive with the shift lever in the “D” position."

5. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    Viper3G

Viper3G Why isn't work more like this?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crew Max 1794 4WD Super White
    Phillips X-treme Ultinon LED H4 bulbs, 3M Color Stable 35 tint on front doors, 3M Crystalline 40 on sunroof, OEM bed liner, OEM running boards, Morimoto fog LEDs, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, Husky X-Act Contour floor mats
    I've got 5500 on my 2016 4x4. I feel the engine is just now getting through the break-in phase. Just did a 180 mile drive yesterday (in D) and got 16.5 mpg. The best so far and a third of that was through stop and go rush hour L.A. traffic.

So your increase might be a little of break-in and shift selection.

6. Jun 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    Rngr188

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    I just started doing it last week and pretty much on highway driving, I have to think to put it in S6 and don't think I've done it in town but only once or twice.

7. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    ATHiker

ATHiker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC SR5TRD 5.7L 4X4
    I'm somewhat confused by this post. I tow my camper in S5 with the tow haul engaged. From what I see, the S mode limits the top gear. I can use the S mode to down shift if I need to control my tranny temp on hills or to provide more engine breaking. Are we saying that using the S mode and cruise control, eliminates the engine breaking?

8. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    QSX15

QSX15 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4X4 SR5 LB TRD
    Factory spray liner, bed rails, TRD sway bar, firestone airbags
    Im pretty sure the engine braking is simply the tranny being controlled by ECM logic and down shifting on its own. I notice when I crest a hill at say 40 in D. Then the truck seems like it maintains 40 going down the other side. If I crest at 40 and wait a bit and use brake pedal to slow to 30 the tranny will downshift to assist in the slowdown.
    When towing I simply downshift manually for the same effect.

9. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    jstrenn

jstrenn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 TRD Off Road
    I just bought a 2017 Tundra 2 weeks ago. I am the type that reads the owners manual cover to cover.... There is a statement in the owners manual that says engine braking does not happen when the cruise control is engaged.

So after reading QSX15's post that makes sense, if you tap the brakes to slow to 30, the cruise control is no longer engaged until you re-engage it with the switch.

10. Jun 10, 2017 at 2:44 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    Guess the 2010's were different. On mine, it'll stay within 3 mph going down a hill while in Cruise. I'm NEVER in "D" because I'd rather choose the gear I know to be best for load, road condition and speed.

11. Jun 10, 2017 at 3:44 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    you aren't choosing the gear, you are just setting the highest gear it can go into. it will still shift as it pleases.

12. Jun 10, 2017 at 4:44 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    When I move my shifter up or down in 'S' Mode, from one gear to the next, the transmission doesn't "shift as it pleases". Shift to ANY gear, it'll stay in that gear till another one is chosen. This is how my 2010 operates, newer Tundras may be different. I'm surprised the Sequential Shifter hasn't been deleted, seems like very few Tundra owners make the effort the use it.

Products Discussed in

To Top