1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver door stuck closed!

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by nickbeauregard, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Sep 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    nickbeauregard

nickbeauregard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all,

My 2000 tundra access cab's driver door is stuck closed and I am completely out of ideas to open it up. At first, it wouldn't easily open and you had to give it a good pull. Now it's just completely stuck, though I'm not sure if it's actually the door latch itself. Neither the inside or outside door handle will open it. The locks appear to be operational, but I'm wondering if the actuator isn't actually unlocking the door when when it's supposed to? I was able to open the door panel enough to reach in and feel the levers/rods but I can't figure out what precisely is wrong. Sprayed some silicone spray in there to lubricate and no success.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to manually unlock and manually engage the door latch? I am seriously stuck and do not want to bring it to a dealer to have them charge me hundreds to do something simple I haven't thought of yet.

Woody7 likes this.
  2. Sep 20, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    When you pull up on the door lock does it give solid resistance and feel like something thunks as it finishes moving up?

3. Sep 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    nickbeauregard

Member:
    As far as I can tell, the when using the key to unlock the door itself, I do feel appropriate resistance (as I feel on the passenger side, which works) and the power locks engage throughout the vehicle as they should. I also feel the same resistance on both exterior door handles. Except the one that doesn't work isn't getting that last little "pop out" when the door actually opens.

4. Sep 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    bmf4069

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    It sounds like maybe the mechanism behind the handle lock may have let go. Does it give any resistance when you try and unlock it from the inside?

5. Sep 20, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    nickbeauregard

Member:
    It's the same for the interior locks/handles. The lock seems to have resistance, the handle doesn't have the resistance that the passenger side has when the door is actually popping open. Starting to think it's not a lock problem, and a problem with the latch not getting the force it needs to spring open. I can see/reach the actuator rod and the handle rod, but it seems like the door latch itself is inside the metal door frame. I've seen videos where it was just a missing spring, but I even opened the door panel on the passenger side and didn't see any obvious differences...

6. Sep 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    bmf4069

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Yeah, sounds like the door card needs to come off. You might be able to get it through the top, but I'm betting the front seats will need to be removed to get to it.

7. Sep 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM
    nickbeauregard

Member:
    I can't get the door panel completely off without breaking it. There is a screw currently hidden between the door and the dash area. I have the panel open enough to do work, but I can't figure out what actually is preventing it from opening. If it's the locks, is there a way to forcibly unlock it without using the power lock mechanism? And if it's the latch, is there a way to manually unlatch it from within the door? Really trying to avoid going to the dealership on this one....

8. Sep 24, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    I had an issue on the back drivers door on mine, my fault. I ended up going to a locksmith to get it open. Hurt my feelings, but hey, sometimes you just have to go to an expert

9. Sep 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I had my driver side door stuck closed. couldnt open from inside or outside. had to take the seats out and pry the door panel back (damaged it because you cant get to 1 screw since its covered by the dash). Mine was stuck closed because the window track was pressing against the door lock. (door was bent)

10. Sep 24, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I would try to loosen the window track in yours (theres a bolt towards the top that ultimately let me get mine to unlock finally)

11. Jun 18, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    Jy8466

Jy8466 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TUNDRA SR5
    I installed new speakers in my '12 and switched the cables by mistake. Lock cables should be were door and door is were lock should be. No play on either handle nothing,... tried to take panel with door close but no luck any help with this situation preciate,..

12. Jun 18, 2020 at 4:39 AM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    Climb in from the passenger side
    Take The Interior door handle off and see if you can use pliers to pull the cable and open the door

13. Oct 30, 2023 at 11:32 AM
    Hollypeershd

Hollypeershd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2001 tundra (access cab)
    which locksmith should I go to? My drivers side door is now stuck shut and it’s really bugging me.

14. Oct 30, 2023 at 11:51 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses!

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Any locksmith who says they're capable of jimmying a locked, closed door?

15. Oct 30, 2023 at 2:25 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    This is the riggt answer. But if you're in my area, I used Murray Kroll in Norfolk.

On a 2nd gen you can't remove the door panels with the door closed. Don't know about 1st gen. If you can you should be able to fix it without a locksmith.

16. Oct 30, 2023 at 5:04 PM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L

Products Discussed in

To Top