1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive-Side CV Axle Seal Leak

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by TGBTG7701, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Mar 14, 2023 at 4:34 PM
    TGBTG7701

TGBTG7701 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 4x4
    3" Lift 33/12.50- 20 tires
    I have a 2016 4x4 Tundra, I replaced the drive-side CV a few weeks back. I used a high quality "New" CV axle and new Timken seal. I noticed the seal going into the diff was leaking, the aftermarket did not seem very tight going in, figured the OEM seal must be the way to go. I was not physically able to do the job again, so I took my Tundra to the well respected Toyota dealer service center. Well........ The problem is, the dealer has gone in and replaced the seal twice now, at Toyota now for the 3rd time. According to Toyota, the CV axle does not have a machining issue causing the seal not to seal, and diff housing is fine. All I can figure is the seal is spinning in the diff housing and not staying in place. I am lost, never had this issue before.

2. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:30 PM
    TGBTG7701

TGBTG7701 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 4x4
    3" Lift 33/12.50- 20 tires
    Well I found the issue, several hundred dollars later. I used a "New Cardone HD" CV axle, the problem was in the machining of the seal surface going into the differential. Even though this is new and advertised as a high quality part, the sealing surface is machined too small, out of specs. I guess I should have used a mic to check old vs new, or at least slipped the new seal on to see the fitment. I have a OEM new Toyota CV axle now, 250+ miles no leaks at all. Learned from my mistake, checking it before installing.

myfirsttundra1 and DoublePro like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top