1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double cab vs Crew Max

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by joem1cha3l, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jul 29, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Point taken. If I have to haul long stuff on a regular basis, I would go with DC with 8 ft bed (the stuff I carried would not fit in a regular DC bed either). I really don't haul long stuff on a regular basis. I just purchased two kayaks and I easily carried both in my extra short CM bed. My point is that under emergency situation, it could be done. It certainly is better than having people hanging out of the cab, haha.

To tell you the truth, the amount of stuff you could haul in a regular DC is not that much more than CM. Anything that you can't carry on CM bed, you will have difficulty carrying it on DC bed also. That's what a trailer is for.

2. Jul 29, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    If I'm not mistaken, early GMC's, maybe 1962, were available with a 10ft bed. (not a flat bed either). How about a CMax with a 10 footer?? Hoo Wee!!!

3. Jul 29, 2016 at 8:40 AM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I can put all my "toys" in the bed of my Limited DC, couldn't do any of this that with the Crew, it's the reason I bought the model I did to avoid buying a utility trailer for another 1k$ along with the cost of licensing & registration to put it on road.

If I could have gotten a Limited with an 8' bed, I would have, but the compromise I would have had to make to get an 8' bed with an SR with no leather wasn't an option for me, I wanted those heated seats because it goes to zero around here in winter & can stay there for two months.

Around here living out in these hills almost nobody has a CrewCab type pickup. The properties are so rural that we need maximum loading capability for maintenance equipment & lumber. In a few minutes I'm on my way to the backside of my property to do fencework & I have to load 4x4's and an RV into the bed, an impossible task with a 5.5' bed, tough enough with the 6.5 but at least I can make it work with careful loading.

4. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I live in a rural area also and you are right, most every other Tundras I see are DCs. For me, fitting my oversized children takes the first priority. My two older son (14 and 12) are bigger than me already. My 12 year old son plays linesman (middle school) and they had to borrow the largest helmet from our local high school to fit his head. It was tight fit. He wears adult 12 wide shoes. When I got my Tundra, I knew this was going to happen. Even when he was young, he had huge bone structure. Case in point, we recently had to trade in our Sienna minivan for a Nissan NV 3500 12 passenger van because of tight fit. My children really appreciate the extra space. By the way, Tundra looks tiny next to this Nissan monster.

5. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I've hauled 10ft deck lumber in my 6.5ft bed. Could go 12ft if I had to. I don't always want to tow a trailer. I have a 17ft trailer that I use. Sometimes a trailer isn't practical depending what I'm doing. Don't want to have hook up a trailer every time I want to haul some thing.

6. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Ditto

7. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:24 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    I chose a DC. like everyone has said, the back seat is deceptively big and I don't own a trailer so bed space was more important to me. I used to own a Tacoma and I can say that there is nothing more frustrating than owning a truck that isn't big enough to do truck stuff. If I owned a trailer or never hauled anything then it would have been a much harder choice.

8. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    ........in addition to that, I can't get a trailer to the backside of my property and get it turned around in the tight spaces that closely spaced trees and dips & rises in the terrain creates. Now my wife is on my case wondering when i'm gonna stop the yacking with you guys & get the fencework done to prevent the deer from coming in & eating her flowers.

9. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:42 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Duck Commander: The thing a man will do for a little honey on the biscuit. - Phil
    Moose like flowers too!
    [​IMG]

Benni[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:58 AM
    bigflax925

bigflax925 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 CM Limited
    I went with CM. I also prefer the looks of the DC, but like me, my kids are big football player size, and need the full size doors more than I need the bed space.

11. Jul 29, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    davesnothere

davesnothere New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Down South, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited 4x4 5.7ffv
    Pro Comp stage 2 6" lift- 20" XD Rockstars- 35" pro comp a/t sport- Hypertech Interceptor- 7" BA Muffler- 4.88 Yukon gears
    Crewmax all day just for the room. As for the short bed, I've hauled lumber from 6-14 ft. Just don't forget the little red flag and enjoy the no tailgating with the long wood

flynbyu2 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  12. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    Looks = CM
    Towing/Hauling capabilities = DC
    Rear seat storage = DC
    Rear leg room from heaven = CM

13. Jul 29, 2016 at 11:19 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    DC's all day long just to have a full size truck. (sarc) Try taking that 14ft long lumber load off the high way to a remote place where you can't use a trailer and where critters don't care about little red flags. Colorado isn't exactly flat in a lot of places. (That Rocky Mountains thing) 14 ft is a stretch for a 5.5ft bed + tailgate. Hmmmm............

Looks = 2nd gen DC 6.5'
    Tow/Haul capabilities = DC
    Rear seat storage = DC
    Enough rear leg room for most Earthlings =DC
    Any kind of decent storage period = DC
    Camper = DC

(I am biased, but truth can hurt)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  14. Jul 30, 2016 at 3:33 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    In order to haul 14 ft lumber, you have to do pretty much the same thing in CM and DC. Keep the tailgate down, secure them, and be cautious. I am not sure if that really sells the DC. If you have 8 ft long table, you have pretty much the same option with DC. With CM's sliding rear window, you could lay the table on top of the tonneau and wedge the table against the front head rest (after taking the rear head rests off). It's not entirely risk free, but it's as risky as doing the same in a SUV or in a van. But then again, carrying a 8 ft table with tailgate down with a couple feet sticking out is not risk free either.

What you think looks nice is really personal preference. What you think is functional really depends on your use. Only the OP can answer that question. I bet DC owners can't do this, haha.
    Sofa in Tundra.jpg

driverdog and Black Wolf like this.
  15. Jul 30, 2016 at 5:43 AM
    FumundaTundra

FumundaTundra Director of civil unrest

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Central WA.
    Vehicle:
    2009 5.7 Tundra Double cab
    Many to come.
    I've never owned a short bed truck. My DC is the shortest I've ever owned. I don't have a use for one. Kinda defeats the purpose. BUT, the manfs. put out what the masses want so..............................

16. Jul 30, 2016 at 8:55 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I would be totally impressed if you could actually sit in that sofa/love seat while it in the rear cab :cookiemonster:

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  17. Jul 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    "carrying a 8 ft table with tailgate down with a couple feet sticking out is not risk free either."

I just measured the bed with the tailgate down on my DC & it's 8'8".

Black Wolf likes this.
  18. Jul 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Man o man, driver, you didn't cut that stuff out of your backyard if that is a picture of your neighborhood.

19. Jul 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Free is always good..

driverdog and Benni like this.
  20. Jul 30, 2016 at 11:56 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    We can do this though: [​IMG]

And you can still tow a large trailer to haul the toys/boat.

NewImprovedRon and driverdog like this.
  21. Jul 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Or this may work: [​IMG]

MookTastic and NewImprovedRon like this.
  22. Jul 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    driver.....what kind of wood is that?

23. Jul 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    What species?

I just cut up an old sugar (hard) maple that lightning felled across one of the offroad trails at the backside of my property, got about three cords out of it, should be dry enough to use this winter because the sun has been beating down on it pretty steady since mid-Spring. Still have some Oak leftover from last winter.

24. Jul 30, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Hey driver......nope, don't live nearby, I'm in Western NY halfway between Olean & the the ski resort town of Ellicotville where the 3rd largest ski resort east of the Mississippi is located. Only about 100k people living in the entire county as permanant residents.....that population doubles as soon as the first snows hit & the resort fills up starting at Thanksgiving.

I'm looking at those pics. Woodstove is impressive & the stonework on that chimney looks almost exactly like what I have across the front of my house, just stunning to look at. That was a lot of ladderwork putting up that stonework.....or did you use scaffolding?

My woodstove is located in the basement, it's a longbox nondecorative thing unlike yours, you have a thing of beauty there. If the temperature stays above freezing I can heat the basement & first floor with it & keep temps in the mid-60s, mostly I maintain it it as a backup heating source because we get numerous electric power outages during the winter when heavy snow laden branches fall across the power lines back up here in the hills.

[​IMG]
    Above pic of my Tundra sitting on the huge turnaround of concrete my son & I poured, just turned over 2k on it today, bought it just last month. House in the background I built myself, you can see the hillside country beyond the house. Love it here tucked away at the tops of these hills. My other vehicle is a 4Runner.

driverdog likes this.
  25. Jul 30, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You're all right DD offering to help split wood and haul. That right there is some hard work. Hell if I wasn't half way across the country I would join in. My Husky hasn't seen much work this year.
    Maybe @csuviper will get some free time this fall and our schedules will mesh to get some more wood off my property.

Do you fellers ever use this kind of wood for smoking meat?

driverdog likes this.
  26. Jul 30, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Hey there Colorado. I have some apple that I have used just for that purpose. Every once in awhile heavy snows will take down a branch from one of the older Apple trees & I chip it up as needed & smoke stuff with the smoker.

Eat a lot of bison here, a good friend of mine has a herd of about 100, 100% organic farming at his place. Don't care for venison though, too tough for my wife, she was raised a farmgirl & loves her beef but she doesn't mind the bison, she only complains about it as being "dry beef".

driverdog and Black Wolf like this.
  27. Jul 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I may get into smoking and looking at different wood people are using.

Bison is pretty good (thanks for not calling it buffalo), enjoy it when we can.

Benni and driverdog like this.
  28. Jul 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I bought some bison ribs a couple of weeks ago at my local butcher shop. FREAKing huge. Had a lot of fat, so I blanched them first before grilling. Yummy. The dog is still working on the rib bones.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    NewImprovedRon, Benni and driverdog like this.
  29. Jul 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Bison is pretty good (thanks for not calling it buffalo)........."buffalo"? Sounds like the name of a city?

driverdog likes this.
  30. Jul 30, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    And remember buffalo have wings. (According to Jessica Simpson) Bison don't have wings. :cookiemonster:

Benni[QUOTED] and driverdog like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top