1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Cab Vs Crew Max and why.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by kyle112006, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    kyle112006

kyle112006 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Hi everyone. Looking for opinions on why you chose one over the other. I am seriously considering a DC Limited as the price is very competitive vs the crewmax Limited. How is it for you tall guys sitting in the back. Are you actually pushed for space? Am going to look this week and see for myself but figured I'd ask here first. TIA

jewsNbrews likes this.
  2. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    Doxiedad

Doxiedad Distinguished Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road Cavalry Blue
    I'm 6'5" tall, but I'm mosty torso so for me leg room isn't as important as headroom. I went with a Crewmax because I'll use the extra foot of cabin space a lot more than an extra foot of bed space, besides I have 2 trailers if i need to haul that much. I had to get the SR5 instead of the limited though because with the sunroof in the limited my head hits the roof :(

3. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm in this dilemma myself, but my feelings are, if you have or need room for passengers then get the CM. The DC would be fine if you take passengers maybe 1-2x a year, but anything regular isn't really a great option, it's tight for any full grown adult.

CMs are way easier to find and probably out number DCs 2 or 3 to 1.

I personally never have passengers and removed the rear seats on my last CM, so it seems like the DC would be better for me, since I prefer the bed space. Issue now is trying to get one.

SomeGuy4 and hhenry_ like this.
  4. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    It really all depends how you want to use your space. I'm pretty sure you can fit adults in the backseat of the double cab without issue since most compact cars can fit 4 adults. If it's a long trip it might not be the most comfortable but that depends on the front seats as well.
    I saw how much room there was in a Crewmax especially with the seats folded up and fell in love. Have not had any issues with not having space in the bed either and I've used that sucker a ton.
    But again, it all depends what you are doing with your space. Test both and get what works for you, no wrong choice.

Squatting Pigeon and Saltyhero13 like this.
  5. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Not all limiteds have sunroofs.

6. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    Bammer

Bammer I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Crew Max 4x4
    Crewmax for back seat fit and comfort = less bed space. For me , passenger fit outweighs the bed space.

BravoDeltaRomeo and dh75 like this.
  7. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
  8. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    Doxiedad

Doxiedad Distinguished Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road Cavalry Blue
    Technically yes, but I spent a lot of time trying to locate a Limited without a sunroof and couldn’t find one. Dealer said it was very rare to fine one without though you are correct.
    My SR5 has everything the limited has I want other than leather seats. Looking at Clazzio at the moment

Sean492 likes this.
  9. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    My thoughts exactly

Bammer[QUOTED] and Doxiedad like this.
  10. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    I hunted for an inferno DC for 6 months before I found one. With me being 5'3" and my husband and I not, nor ever, having kids it was an easy choice. It's a personal opinion but I think the crew maxs with the stubby beds look silly. **cue angry crew max owners rebuttals**
    The bed space was more important than the cab space to me as I do a lot of construction, towing, and hauling.
    Just figure out which is more important to you, 'taxi service' or 'hauling service'. And get the truck that'll fit the needs accordingly.

11. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    The Californian

The Californian Good Vibes Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax
    I'm 6'5" as well, and I can sit comfortably in the back seat of my Crewmax; can't say the same about the DC. The main reason we were getting a Tundra was because we needed a car that could properly fit a rear facing car seat in the back, without having the seat in front of it touch it.

12. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:17 AM
    Cavalrysr5

Cavalrysr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra cavalry blue sr5
    Bedspace>wasted cab space.
    It is great with a family, but between my dad's truck(a CM) and mine(a DC) I can haul much more in the bed than he can(like fence boards and crap)

MS22, Rob's Inferno and Black Wolf like this.
  13. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Njmike13

Njmike13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hunterdon county, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO Lunar Rock
    I went with a DC for the bed space. Now that I have a 2 year old I'm even more glad I did. Seems I'm able to fill the entire bed with stuff for trips. Not sure what I would have done with the shorter bed.

14. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:32 AM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    It really just depends on your own personal usage. I haul people significantly more often than I haul stuff, and then when I do haul stuff it's never been too much, or too big to haul either in the bed, or on top of my diamondback.

15. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    2planker

2planker New Member

Member:
    DC for bedspace and price, in that order. We throw the dirt bikes in bed regularly and its nice to be able to close the tail gate easily. I contemplated the crew and just leaving the tailgate down but ended up finding a DC for the right price which made up my mind.

sdboxer and Wallygator like this.
  16. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:51 AM
    jalam321

jalam321 New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra CM Platinum 4x4 and Sequoia Platinum 4x4
    Like others have said...it depends on your personal use. Do you have kids, pets, extra family member to haul around? Or do you need the bed space to haul stuff for work or something? I have a CM and very happy with it. It has the extra interior cab space we need and the bed is big enough for my home depot runs or car parts.

17. Oct 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    AircoolerKirk

AircoolerKirk Old School VW Nut

Member:
    Allen, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray Metallic 2017 Tundra TSS 4wd
    I wanted the DC when I started shopping for the bed space, which i use more. The ultimate reason I didnt go with the DC was the big roll down rear window in the CM which I love. In the end, I like the CM much better than I thought I would, and I'm glad I went that way.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    WFD473, Bammer, Armstrs and 1 other person like this.
  18. Oct 20, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    RPO 579C

RPO 579C New Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC TSS barcelona red
    bed cover, weathertech mats, locking gas cap, fensens rear sensor, wet okole seat covers, trd rear sway bar
    I used to look at DC Tundra's and think "who would want one of those?" until I sat in the back seat of one this past January and realized I could sit in the back seat behind the driver's seat adjusted for my driving position and my knees did not touch the front seat. I'm 6'2" so I'm not as big as some of these guys but I'm not short. So I bought a DC in August and it's perfect for me, but it might not be for you.
    No right or wrong on this one.

19. Oct 20, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Sean492

Sean492 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra Sport
    DC is fine for even older kids if the trips are not more than an hour or two. Longer trips they tend to need some more room to spread out. The crewmax bed seems a lot smaller but a rack to flip out with the tailgate down can cure that. The crewmax the back window is awesome! I put it down all the time and the airflow works perfectly. It is the main feature I was excited about when I got the new truck. No doubt hauling boards or long items is limited so it comes down to strapping things down well or have a trailer. I haul kids and family far more often than items so the crewmax has been much more useful, and the space in the back is huge.

I had a DC from 2008-2017 and I have had a crewmax since 2018.

20. Oct 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Wait, so the DC doesn't have a roll down back window?

21. Oct 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    Doctor Flex

Doctor Flex Just browsing...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2020 White 1794 TRD
    TRD Pro skid, Line-X, Tonneau, drivers grab handle, wireless charger, RB 20's, TRD Pro wheels, Gator Liners.
    No only CM has the awesome window.

I have a CM and love the cab space. Just took the family up to the Tetons this weekend and had a blast. Fit all the stuff in the bed including huge cooler. Tonnaeu cover closed no issue. Then I got back and a rock blew out my sunroof while driving to work on the interstate, but that’s a different story.

upload_2020-10-20_12-58-5.jpg

upload_2020-10-20_12-58-21.jpg

22. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    The Californian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Damn, bummer about the sunroon - and bummer about all those poor souls that don't get to enjoy the roll down window. I absolutely love mine.

Notarobot, AircoolerKirk and WFD473 like this.
  23. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I picked the CrewMax because we use the truck for family trips also and I have two grown kids; son is 6'4 and daughter is 5'10, so the extra space in the back seat area is nice.
    I use the truck for work but not as a work truck; i.e. I don't load a bunch of stuff in the bed - just drive to construction sites and meetings etc. where the rear seats are not used, but neither is the bed, so 90% of the time it would not matter which configuration I have.

So, for you, only you know the need - so definitely go test drive and sit in the back with the front seat in different settings, and evaluate how often you will have people back there vs how often you need the extra 1 foot in the bed.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  24. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Have kids = CM
    No kids = DC

Best thing on a CM is hands down... the back window.

I wish they just had the 6.5' bed on the CM. I need that space too, but the daily kid taxi demands CM. It's very nice to have that space when they have to jump in with their backpacks. They very easily enter and exit with tons of stuff and not scuff everything up.

But I can't stand the neutered bed.

TracRac is a must with the CM, but you can probably get away without one on the DC

Wallygator and FlyingWolfe like this.
  25. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited
    I have owned both (2 dc and2 cm) loved all 4 but I think the extra room in the cab outweighs the xtra bed space. Love the back window in my 2020 cm. Anything substantial that I need to haul (rarely) I use my utility trailer. I am a little anal about hauling stuff in the bed anyway lol

jewsNbrews and WFD473 like this.
  26. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    kevine0001

kevine0001 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wife and two girls. Oldest teen girl is 5'9". The 14 yo is about 5'7"...crewmax

I use mine primarily for hunting, fishing and camping. There are times that I'd have loved the longer bed. But I'm only 6'1", and I can actually sleep corner to corner diagonally. I build a wood drawer system over my wheelwells, so entire back is flat. Just lay foam pads, my air pad angled corner to corner and I can just stretch out.

jewsNbrews, WFD473 and tbutler like this.
  27. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    Sean492

Sean492 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra Sport
    I believe only the crewmax offers the fully lowering rear window. Judging by some of the other responses I feel vindicated that I am not crazy to be so excited over one option! My son tells me Toyota patented the window assembly, that's why no one else offers it.

28. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    Hugemoose

Hugemoose New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Yeah I sold my 2001 access cab Tundra specifically for a Crewmax because of our growing family. As much as I miss the 6.5' bed, interior space is much harder to obtain. It's not hard to drop the tailgate or just hang something out the back of the bed if needed.

My father used to have a 2007 Ram 2500 Megacab. That was the best of both worlds. Massive interior space, 6.5' bed, better towing and payload. The Cummins was great too, just sucks the rest of it was a shitty Chrysler lol.

Sometimes I wish I had the DC, but you just have to evaluate how you use the truck. For me, interior space was vital, and realistically I still have a bed and an even bigger utility trailer.

WFD473 likes this.
  29. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    tbutler

tbutler Team Toyota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Land Cruiser HE - Black
    I'm in my 2nd Crewmax - wife and 2 girls. We use it a lot for family road trips. I also work in construction and have never had an issue transporting materials. If it's longer item's, I put the back window down and slide them through the cab. I always have a few spare towels in hand to protect the seats and dash. Never had an issue hauling items. If it's too big, chances are I going to have the supplier deliver it anyways.

My dream truck would be the Crewmax cab with the Double cab bed. But then I'd need to move to a new dream house with a longer garage.

WFD473 and Armstrs like this.
  30. Oct 20, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    dh75

dh75 Tundra Owners of Tennessee (FB)

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Platinum
    I’ve had both. Regretted the DC from the day I got it. I like the cab space of the CM and I think they look better.

It’s all personal opinion and personal need. This debate is just like Apple/Android or even make of truck. It’s all personal opinion of what you like or want.

D4x4TRD, Tundrafan23 and WFD473 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top