1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door check problems

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by slowdisco, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Jul 24, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Ah, well that's pretty obvious once you look at it! So I managed to get it all apart... of course the pieces went everywhere, but looking at the other one I managed to get the squeezy bits back where they belong.

Now for the fun part! I pulled the driver-side door check and low and behold, it's been replaced at least once already. As you can see in the photo, it's built exactly like the inexpensive replacement including the pin at the end to hold everything together.

I was about to throw in the towel but after staring at it for a bit and giving it some thought I figured I really had nothing to lose, so I went ahead and tried disassembling the casing just like we did on the new one. This one didn't have any tabs to bend back, so I gingerly but carefully took the same small flat-blade screwdriver I used to pry the back of the new one off and another low and behold - it came free!

So I pulled the squeezy bits out of the old one. The orange plastic parts had been rubbed flat as expected. I pulled the squeezy bits out of the new one. I put the new bits in the old door check case, pressed the back back on in my vice as best as I could, reinstalled it in the door and, ta-dah... I have a working door check! Phew!

I haven't pulled the passenger side apart, but I'm guessing it's the same story.

For a time I was pretty sure there were a couple expensive door checks in my future. :( But I was wrong! I hate being wrong. Except this time. :D

Haven't seen the Toyota replacement. Wonder if that's one of them? Disappointed that it apparently doesn't last any longer than the original. Not surprising though I guess.

Just glad this worked... in a round-about manner anyway.

It was getting dark and I wanted to button things up on the driver's side but I'll post before and after photos of the passenger side when I get it done.

Thanks so much for all of the support, it's truly appreciated. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    artsr2002[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 26, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Update to my update above... pulled the passenger side door check and it turned out to be original or similar since it had the part at the top that can be twisted off. I did that and then tried to remove the case as I had on the other one. It didn't have the 4 tabs like the newer one, but no matter how hard I tried to split the case, it just bent the ends and would not open. Upon further inspection I found that the two bolts that attach it to the body had apparently had a couple of tack welds on the back to keep the case from coming apart... ever... again. So it looks like someone replaced the "squeezy bits" before and didn't want it to fall apart. It didn't, and, sadly it won't.

So I threw it back in and I guess I'll either have to pay stupid money for a new one or find a used one somewhere and rebuild it. At this point I think I've worked on it long enough and I'm just going to spring for a new OEM. $90. Why? Dunno. You can buy the same part for the Gen 2 or 3 models for under $30. Insane, but it is what it is.

Thanks again for all of the help! :thumbsup: Learned a lot and have gotten very good at removing the door cards! ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  3. Sep 4, 2022 at 11:43 AM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Ended up springing for a new passenger side door check. $90.66 from McGeorge Toyota. I think I could R&R the door panels in my sleep now. o_O

Still no idea why these cost 3 times as much as the ones for later model Tundras... or almost any other vehicle, but it is what it is. Works perfectly (as it should) and the wife will be a happy camper, so that's what's really important. :thumbsup:

daveeasa likes this.
  4. Sep 4, 2022 at 1:07 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    I'm a bit late but some folks have drilled out the tack welds to remove the studs and just replaced with similar sized bolt/nut. That would work also and save you money.

5. Sep 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    richsadams

richsadams New Member

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4 4.7L
    Been there done that for the driver side but due to previous owner’s “fix” I wasn’t able to do that for the passenger side. Earlier posts detail the whole saga.

Products Discussed in

To Top