1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Don't kill me...engine oil thread

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by 9am53, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    I always change the oil myself. As stated above, it's too vital to trust someone that most likely doesn't care about your vehicle as much as you do. Too many little things that can go wrong which could leave you out of commission and make things very inconvenient even if they do cover the costs. Plus it's the opportunity to give everything underneath a once over to ensure there aren't other issues cropping up.

With that said, I purchase four 4 quart bottles of Amsoil and two Wix filters every 4 months or so to change mine and my wife's (200 series Land Cruiser) oil every 5k miles. That order around every 4-5 months cost me $120 on Amsoil.com with a yearly subscription. So 60 bucks to do my oil change with Amsoil. I use a washable AFE air filter and wash/blow out each oil change along with a quick tire rotation. Takes me 1.5 hours total for each vehicle.

*Side Note: The dealer doesn't use "Toyota Oil". They use whatever that particular dealership's region purchases for them to use that meets specs. I know that Gulf States Toyota has used everything form Pennzoil to Mobil.

2. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    Do you trust an electrician to install an outlet, a plumber to install a toilet?
    I understand not trusting quicklube places but im fairly confident a toyota dealership can handle an oil change. It is a really simple task. I work on my bike and sled and I have no problem admitting I have fucked some shit up.

3. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    Depends. I usually do as much as I can myself, other times I "trust but verify". Things have changed for the worse when it comes to customer service and general care. I find I'm disappointed more times than not when I pay someone else to do something that I'm capable of.

The dealership is the lesser of two evils, but the lowest man on the totem pole usually performs oil changes. They should always be checked if you can't/won't do it yourself.

I've definitely messed things up by doing it myself, but I chalk it up to learning and usually don't make the same mistake twice. Plus there's a difference in messing up your own stuff while learning and someone else messing your stuff up because they don't give an f.

4. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    $150 for an oil change? Is that Canadian $$$?
    I can do one in my '03 for under $50 give or take, running 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum + 2 quarts PLUS a WIX filter from O'Reilly. Running every 7K miles.
    Our Mini Cooper is every 15K miles, and our Odyssey has an 'oil life indicator' that I go by.

5. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    Its $90 CAD all in here in Calgary. Not crawling under my truck for that price.

6. Mar 15, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    FossilHunter

FossilHunter New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD 4x4 Double Cab
    I get mine changed every 5000-7500 miles or so at Big Brand Tires. I bring my own oil, 0 W20 Pennzoil Ultra Premium and an OEM Toyota filter.
    They charge me $25 bucks for oil change and tire rotation and balance. I WATCH them perform the service from outside the bay, and double check their work afterwards.
    Never had a problem.

WILLINH and Tiamat like this.
  7. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    grandmabetty

grandmabetty New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SX
    Does changing your own oil void the warranty?

8. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    georgiey22

georgiey22 Moving to Idaho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra | TRD Sport | Cavalry Blue | Crew Max
    Every year I load up on Autozone clearance oils. Change the oil every 5,000 on my ‘19. Last oil change cost me $4 for my oil filter (Toyota OEM) and $20 for two, five quart jugs of Rotella 0W20 full synthetic and did the change myself, usually takes 45-60 minutes. Total oil change cost was $24 + my time. I enjoy it, helps me decompress. Next change will be less, this year I purchased five, five quart jugs of Idemitsu 0W-20 full synthetic for $5 a jug, this happens to be the same oil Mazda uses in their factory fills. Have completed two oil changes using it on my wife’s Acura and all is good. As long as the oil is API certified, meet the specs in the manual and is full synthetic, I run it. Did the same with my last 4Runner and that SUV was unstoppable.

YardBird likes this.
  9. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    georgiey22

georgiey22 Moving to Idaho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra | TRD Sport | Cavalry Blue | Crew Max
    No. Keep receipts for all materials purchased to complete the change.

YardBird likes this.
  10. Jan 11, 2021 at 3:53 AM
    Ronin73

Ronin73 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 5.7 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    I have tried them all and I have done multiple UOA's on them all. Guess what? They all performed outstanding for 10,000 mile intervals. Just pick one (favorite color bottle maybe?) and rock on.

My personal favorites are Mobil 1 EP, Amsoil, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, and Toyota branded oil (Mobil 1 formulation with Toyota additives and a butt-load of Moly)...all in the 0w20 flavor.

Oey12 and georgiey22 like this.
  11. Jan 11, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    Trogdog

Trogdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trog
    North West GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax SR5
    For my first oil change I used the Costco kirkland full synthetic (according to projectfarm the Amazon full synthetic is probably the same thing) and a OEM filter.
    I installed a fumoto valve so the oil change should go faster, and at the next oil change I plan to cut a hole in the skid plate so I don't have to remove it to change the filter.
    In my experience with dealer oil changes, it's obviously not the master mechanics doing the oil change the kid still in high school or the guy on meth, zero care given, only an impact used to tighten the oil drain plug, fasteners disappear, the list goes on. With a fumoto and a peice of tube (or other style of easy draining plugs) the only work is changing the filter.

georgiey22 likes this.
  12. Jan 11, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    Funnyguy713

Funnyguy713 I can't get Jiggy with this Sh!t

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794 4x4
    35s on 20s with 6" Pro Comp
    I change my oil once a year since I only drive on the weekends, got a company truck I drive during the week. But if I drove it daily I will change every 5k miles, I like clean oil in my truck. Also changed the spark plugs and rotors/pads at 50k miles, I would never wait 100k miles to change spark plugs. o_O

georgiey22 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top