1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dogabetes

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by SLOBlueE90, May 12, 2019.

1. May 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM
    SLOBlueE90

SLOBlueE90 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra Platinum
    I am one of those members that doesn’t post a lot, but loiters on the site a couple of times a day. I have received sound advice from this group in the past, and I could use some more if you have a moment.

My 10 yo doxie, Maximus, has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Despite 2x a day insulin injections, he has gotten worse. His weight has dropped significantly and now his vision has all but gone.

He has been tested for Cushing’s and now we are exploring another brand of insulin as he may have become resistant to the current brand.

One thing I have learned about this group over the past couple of years is that we special place in our hearts for our trucks, veterans, first responders, and especially our families (pets included). I am hoping someone will read this and have some similar experience I can benefit from.

Thanks

66FBD923-A092-4EBD-9B18-BC4DE0D954EF.jpg
    AC93180B-65BF-4539-9FF6-384547590C67.jpg

2. May 12, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    So sorry to hear about your doggy’s condition :(

Hopefully someone has experience in this and can point you in the right direction.

SLOBlueE90[OP] and Pinay like this.
  3. May 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I wish I could help you. When I was a kid my Doberman developed diabetes. She was such a good girl and would wait for us to get a cup so she could pee in it and we could test her every day. Even when she went blind she still waited. I wish I knew more on how to help you. Hope you figure it out.

SLOBlueE90[OP] and Pinay like this.
  4. May 12, 2019 at 10:09 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Sorry to hear about your dogs' situation. I wonder if any of our members just might be a veterinarian? I was raised on a ranch and dealt with a lot sick animals from time to time but know absolutely nothing about animal diabetes especially with dogs. Good luck. Semper fi

15whtrd and SLOBlueE90[OP] like this.
  5. May 12, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    Jobthegiant

Jobthegiant Super extra premium member delux

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 2WD basically stock
    TRD wheels, Fog lights, Bed Liner, Under seat storage, Lots of scratches and rub marks
    I'd recommend the same treatment you'd give a person. No sugar, low carbs, good exercise, on top of whatever medicine is needed. My pup has bad food allergies, so he eats raw pork, and lamb for dinner, and a limited ingredients kibble for breakfast. There are some good Facebook groups for feeding dogs a meat diet. It sucks when our best pals have problems. You can only do your best to give them the best life possible. Obligatory: I'm not a vet ! YMMV

Dog pic just because
    MBK2kftpBlVefc9b8Zvu_Xviw89Wsxux9Ed6Hemh_c854d04930fac473053c639d89778fdfb61a0c32.jpg

6. May 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    Adding to what @Jobthegiant said, A raw meat diet would be best for your dog. There are Facebook pages and also take look at https://perfectlyrawsome.com

https://www.rawfeedingmiami.com/pages/why-feed-raw

I feed my two dogs raw and it could be done inexpensively. You need to look at what you will save in vet bills and medicine. Its a little bit of work but it comes down to how much does your pup really mean to you.

If you have any questions I will do my best to help you out.

SLOBlueE90[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  7. May 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I look for marked down meat. Nothing wrong with it at all and my dog loves it. She gets a combination of raw and dry food.

SLOBlueE90[OP] likes this.
  8. May 12, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    Vancepp

Vancepp New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Toytec Boss Kit, Method Grids, 305/70-18 STT Pros
    I have a diabetic dog as well. He was diagnosed over a year ago. After the initial dosing of insulin, he wasn't getting any better. The vet upped our daily dose and now we give him 10 units morning and night as well as switched over to a Rx dog food for diabetic dogs. He lost some weight, (he was way over weight) and now he feels so much better. He is 12 now and plays like a puppy.

Maybe the vet could reassess and up your pups insulin dosage. It made all the difference with mine.

9. May 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    SLOBlueE90

SLOBlueE90 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra Platinum
    Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate your feedback. Max is on an Rx dog food now, so I am thinking the insulin brand is the next step. He has done several blood sugar curves, and now it appears he is simply not responding to the Vetsulin brand.

Thankfully the alternative brand is also available at Costco and that is where we currently get his meds and needles.

Thank you again for reading my post and for all the advice. I appreciate the help and your kind words. So does Max.

Bob

TXMiamiFan and Black Wolf like this.
  10. May 18, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Dirty Seven Club
    Mahal kita Kuya
    Well, i saw this post earlier and read with interest.

Fast forward, took my Chihuahua mix to the vet cuz she's been listless, not eating as much as usual and drinking way more than usual. Did some blood tests and her levels are 385+, whereas normal range is 60-110. So came home with special food and insulin 2x a day for now and hopefully get her stabilized and feeling better. No more puppachinos at Starbucks!

Rica25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top