1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dobinsons IMS Struts and Shocks for 2007+ Tundra's (IFP Monotubes)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by crikeymike, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Sep 2, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Texas Chapter President

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Smoked Mesquite Platinum 4x4
    Which springs did you wind up going with and how do you like them?

2. Nov 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    crikeymike

crikeymike [OP] ExitOffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville Beach, FL
  3. Nov 23, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    FitsofRage88

FitsofRage88 real eyes realize real lies.

Member:
    Hill Country, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 FFV CM (3URFBE) 2Gen
    Blackhawk(0CU00) Working on it!
    Brendybobby and AggiePhil like this.
  4. Jan 25, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    Brendybobby

Brendybobby New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra limited crew cab - silver sky metallic
    2019 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax Silver Sky Metallic Rock Warrior Wheels Spidertrax 1.25 spacer 37x12.5x17 Dirty Sevens Club Bilstein B8 8112 Coilovers Bilstein UCA BILSTEIN 5160 Wheeler mini leaf pack addition (I think deaver f-85) Increasingly aggressive BMCs/CMCs
  5. Jan 25, 2022 at 2:25 PM
    68 RS/SS

68 RS/SS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    I’m waiting on those to come out too

6. Jan 27, 2022 at 6:34 AM
    Brendybobby

Brendybobby New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra limited crew cab - silver sky metallic
    2019 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax Silver Sky Metallic Rock Warrior Wheels Spidertrax 1.25 spacer 37x12.5x17 Dirty Sevens Club Bilstein B8 8112 Coilovers Bilstein UCA BILSTEIN 5160 Wheeler mini leaf pack addition (I think deaver f-85) Increasingly aggressive BMCs/CMCs
    Did we ever figure this out? To me, and others who have commented earlier, it looks like these springs won't be able to compress much. Seriously considering these, but I want this to be resolved/explained. Might have to reach out to an engineer at Dobinsons. Are all their coil spring loads looking like this or just the heavier coils?

AggiePhil likes this.
  7. Feb 9, 2022 at 7:19 AM
    ADV_RW

ADV_RW New Member

Member:
    Has anyone set these up at 2" to level the truck? I'm looking to keep the geo as close to stock as possible without lifting the rear.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    AggiePhil likes this.
  8. Feb 26, 2022 at 9:35 PM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    Damn that practically looks coil bound already!

9. Mar 18, 2022 at 8:50 PM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    Anyone else purchased these and can report back with impressions? Surprised there isn’t more info out there on Dobinsons in Tundras. Would probably benefit Dobinsons to get some of these kits in the hands of some YouTubers. There’s practically nothing out there other than the two threads on this forum. And even those only have a few user reviews.

DK1865 and JLS in WA like this.
  10. Mar 18, 2022 at 9:05 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    I was REALLY close to going with Dobinson when I put on my eibachs. Just couldn’t find much info on them.

AggiePhil[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 19, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    So did anyone use theses with springs other than Dobinsons? Anyone use these with Eibach?

12. Mar 31, 2022 at 8:28 AM
    DK1865

DK1865 New Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 WCP Tundra Limited
    I wish there were more reviews with these suspensions on Tundras. I am stuck on which full suspension kit to buy from ...Dobinsons IMS, OME nitro charger, Ironman FCP or Toytech 2.5 Aluma. Originally wanting to get Bilstein 6112/5160 but no one has them in stock.

13. Apr 1, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    Hugemoose

Hugemoose New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Yeah the market in the US for Dobinsons is still a little small so it's hard to find a ton of reviews.

But overall, at least their basic Nitrogen gas shocks (not the IMS) is just a beefy ass shock, and really has been working very well for me. It's not overly fancy, and certainly not up to the level of ICON, King, etc., but I live in the rust belt, and just wanted something solid that I could use and abuse, and not worry about. About a year in, they are still working and looking great. I did the full kit too with the rear leaf springs and they are been fantastic, especially for the price.

I thought about the 6112/5160, as they certainly look a bit nicer and seems to have a good reputation, but in the rust belt I knew they would suffer. You really can't go wrong with this, just choose the correct spring. I used the 778 springs which were initially advertised as a 2.5" lift, but actually yielded closer to 3". Meanwhile the 780(?) I think was advertised as a 3" lift but people were seeing 4-4.5" with them. Now maybe that has all been updated, but even so, they really are solid units. I love mine and expect they'll last a very long time.

14. Apr 1, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    DK1865

DK1865 New Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 WCP Tundra Limited
    Yeah I don't want to go too overboard on suspension. I will use my truck for more for camping than extreme off-roading. I will definitely look into the Dobinsons nitro coilovers. Did you replace your UCAs?

crikeymike[OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 1, 2022 at 8:12 AM
    Hugemoose

Hugemoose New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Yes I did. I used an SPC clone that RockAuto was selling for a while. They are MevoTech branded, but are exactly the same, just $200 cheaper lol. I'm not sure if they are available any longer though. Here is where you can see my suspension build: https://www.tundras.com/threads/dobinsons-suspension-review.50702/page-24 Starting at post #718.

I also don't do any extreme off-roading either to be honest, just around a farm sometimes, and camping. So my M/T tires were overkill, but other than that I'm super happy with the suspension.

16. Apr 1, 2022 at 10:33 AM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    The other reason I like the idea of the twin tube setup has to do with replacement/servicing. I'd rather be able to just replace the entire shock versus having to deal with several weeks of downtime for rebuild. What I've noticed is that most people wind up buying a second set of shocks when it's time to rebuild theirs. I'd rather use a shock that's inexpensive enough (but not too inexpensive) to just replace when the time comes.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  17. Apr 1, 2022 at 7:29 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    I bought Ironmans FC pros when they had 25% off sitewide recently (which happens regularly). $1400 something for 4 shocks, front springs, tophats, adjustment tool, tax. The full kit with rear leaf springs and greasable bushings would have been about $650 more and came with free Treads, but I wanted to go elsewhere for rear springs (it'll be hauling a camper full time).

I decided that the threaded adjustable feature was worth it to me vs cheaper options... and though I considered spending 2x for King, Fox, Icon, etc... I can't service them on the road, and I don't want to deal with it. I think the fancy shocks with high pressure just don't last long before they leak. Then you need new seals, which isn't a huge deal if you can service them yourself, but no deal if you have to ship them. Twin tubes tend to last longer I think. The FC Pros are rebuildable, but the retail on the front shocks is also only $400, so just swapping it out isn't terrible.

The Ironman FC Pros are enormous twin tube shocks (2.75" bodies), 18" springs, and are infinitely adjustable. I'll see how they fare...

18. Apr 1, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    Please let us know what you think. Ironman and Dobinsons are the only options I’m considering at this time. Only bad thing I’ve heard about the Ironman has to do with stiffness and bent coils.

19. Apr 1, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    I can tell you my coils are straight (enough) and they were not that hard to install with a $36 tool. A couple people have described them as stiff when new but they improve after some miles. I think that's just tight seals and is probably good for longevity. Most people report that they are plush though... ? IM sets them for 3.5" of lift typically and that's just too much for any IFS shock lift IMO. 2-2.5" is the sweet spot.

I'll be posting here: https://www.tundras.com/threads/ironman-4x4-suspension.64691/page-21#post-2709966

20. Sep 16, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville Beach, FL
    AggiePhil likes this.
  21. Dec 21, 2022 at 5:19 PM
    lexcomman

lexcomman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax TRD Offroad
    Dobinson IMS front and rear.
    Hello new to the forums. Earlier this week I had the Dobinson IMS front and rear installed at my local 4x4 shop. Front springs are the 2.5in stock weight lift springs. I will say I read many forum pages on these ending with extremely more lift than anticipated. Working with my shop and Dobinson I bit the bullet. While I only have about 200 miles on these my initial impressions are wonderful. I will have to go outside tomorrow to grab pictures to share, below are my initial impressions over the stock TRD Offroad Bilstein shocks.

1) Ride quality is greatly improved. I no longer have the body roll going around round abouts, country roads or the nose dip when coming to a stop. Also, when driving on the interstate I no longer experience the shimmy/triple bounce feeling when the road transitions to bridges or overpasses. The feel is more like a cross over SUV or car when there is a thud, you feel the transition then done.

2) When it was initially installed, I did there was a dead even 3 inch lift up front. By the time it was driven to the alignment shop and back to my installers shop, it had already begun to settle in the front. I measured a few minutes ago and I am exactly 2.5in now on the front. I did block with the factory leaf springs for now, so I have a 1.5in rake which I wanted.

AggiePhil, crikeymike[OP] and rruff like this.
  22. Dec 22, 2022 at 5:56 AM
    crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Thanks for the detailed review! Yeah, the coil height and IMS combination are all correct once settled and I'm glad you got to see how it settles down like that.

Can you post up some photos of the parts and the truck too?

23. Dec 26, 2022 at 5:11 PM
    lexcomman

lexcomman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    We got hit with the brutal cold and snow the last few days. So far the IMS suspension still has not disappointed. When things thaw out some and I can clean the truck I will get more pictures of the shocks installed. Here is a profile picture of the truck.

IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    crikeymike[OP] likes this.
  24. Dec 28, 2022 at 3:05 PM
    lexcomman

lexcomman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    AggiePhil and crikeymike[OP] like this.
  25. Feb 6, 2023 at 4:57 AM
    Js18tundra

Js18tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra sr5 TRD 4x4
    Diamondback se tonneau
    Anyone else install the IMS? How are they holding up?

26. Feb 6, 2023 at 6:47 AM
    McCrapper

McCrapper New Member

Member:
    70k miles and they are still great. I only have the rears but run around with headache rack, decked system, and sit on top toolbox. probably 400 extra pounds back there.

AggiePhil and crikeymike[OP] like this.
  27. Feb 6, 2023 at 6:53 AM
    crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville Beach, FL
    AggiePhil and chugs like this.
  28. Feb 6, 2023 at 8:26 AM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    @crikeymike - I’m sure you get tired of answering the same questions, but concerning the MRA I’ve got a few questions.

- As I understand it, the adjusters can increase valving but not decrease it, so with everything set at 1 or the lowest setting, am I correct in assuming the base valving on this would be a very soft shock?

- how well do these put up with sub-freezing temperatures, snow, and ice? My bilsteins seem to change attitude when the mercury dips below freezing.

- what type of rebuild schedule would you anticipate with these? The literature says no defined schedule. Usage is mostly on road, hauling or towing, with spurts of high speed Forrest service roads. For comparison, 6112/5160’s lasted about 100k before they became intolerable. One of the 5160’s starting sticking but was still operational. It squealed when compressed by hand after sitting extended for a while off of the vehicle.

- would you recommend this setup for a vehicle that is rarely unloaded and often close to max loading, as well as towing?

- would you characterize the base ride as plush, sporty, well controlled, or stuff? See my first question about the adjusters affecting that.

- would they be characterized as digressive, progressive, linear, etc?

- are these revalvable? I assume that would be you that would re valve them.

- how would you compare these to Fox 2.5 DSC?

- what mounting options to you have/suggest for the remote reservoirs?

Thanks.

rruff likes this.
  29. Feb 6, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jacksonville Beach, FL
    I'll type in caps to answer your many questions.

'QUOTE'

I’m sure you get tired of answering the same questions, but concerning the MRA I’ve got a few questions.

- As I understand it, the adjusters can increase valving but not decrease it, so with everything set at 1 or the lowest setting, am I correct in assuming the base valving on this would be a very soft shock?
    CORRECT, THEY INCREASE IT. THE BASELINE WOULD BE SOFT

- how well do these put up with sub-freezing temperatures, snow, and ice? My bilsteins seem to change attitude when the mercury dips below freezing.
    NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH ANY DOBINSONS SHOCKS IN FREEZING WEATHER

- what type of rebuild schedule would you anticipate with these? The literature says no defined schedule. Usage is mostly on road, hauling or towing, with spurts of high speed Forrest service roads. For comparison, 6112/5160’s lasted about 100k before they became intolerable. One of the 5160’s starting sticking but was still operational. It squealed when compressed by hand after sitting extended for a while off of the vehicle.
    DEPENDS ON USE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, THEN YOU REBUILD IT, OTHERWISE YOU DON'T TOUCH IT

- would you recommend this setup for a vehicle that is rarely unloaded and often close to max loading, as well as towing?
    I WOULD RECOMMEND IT FOR SOMEONE THAT GOES OFFROAD A LOT. IF YOU'RE NOT DOING THAT, THIS IS OVERKILL IN MY OPINION. VARYING LOADS MAKE THE MRA A GREAT OPTION, SINCE YOU CAN ADJUST THE WAY THE VEHICLE PERFORMS AND RIDES

- would you characterize the base ride as plush, sporty, well controlled, or stuff? See my first question about the adjusters affecting that.
    SPORTY, BUT IT'S A HUGE TRUCK, SO HARD TO GIVE IT A DEFINITION

- would they be characterized as digressive, progressive, linear, etc?
    LINEAR

- are these revalvable? I assume that would be you that would re valve them.
    YES. DOBINSONS OFFERS THAT AS WELL AS SOME SHOCK REBUILDERS

- how would you compare these to Fox 2.5 DSC?
    THESE HAVE A WIDER RANGE OF ADJUSTMENT FOR SURE, AS WELL AS REBOUND ADJUSTMENT WHICH FOX DON'T HAVE). IN OTHER VEHICLES, DOBINSONS HAVE ALWAYS RIDDEN MORE COMFORTABLE AND LESS HARSH THAN FOX. I HAVEN'T BEEN IN A TUNDRA WITH BOTH, SO I CAN'T SPEAK ON HOW BOTH FEEL

- what mounting options to you have/suggest for the remote reservoirs?
    THEY COME WITH BRACKETS TO ATTACH TO THE FRONT. I JUST DON'T HAVE THE GOOD PHOTOS YET

Thanks.

AggiePhil and rruff like this.
  30. Feb 6, 2023 at 9:56 AM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    Thanks, Mike. My limited experience with the Fox 2.0's was that they just floated - but not in a good way - like they were never actually in control of the vehicle. The adjustability of the Dobinson MRA's is what attracts me to them, especially the rear's. My bed is very rarely empty but the load varies and I tow often.

One other thing I forgot to ask - can these be adjusted to less than 2" of lift? Say 1 or 1.5"? I know that's nit picky but, for example, IronMan 4x4 told me their shocks aren't designed to be run less than 2", even if you use the shorter coil.

Products Discussed in

To Top