1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you think Toyota will take responsibility for the 2nd gen bed rust?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by bleach, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Aug 7, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That's why forums like this one are a great source of info. We give you a heads up on things and what to look out for before you purchase a Tundra new or used. Of course in many circumstances it's too late but I still stand by my previous comments. If you live near the coast or where salt is used in winter it simply makes sense to give any used vehicle the once over underneath,especially in the areas not only most susceptible to rust but areas that aren't obvious without getting a real good go over. When I bought my 09 Taco, my 07 Tundra, and my 14 Tundra, I got underneath all three of them and looked over everything for rust. It's fairly common for truck beds to rust out from the bottom up including around the bed bolts. I've seen too many trucks rusted out like that over the years. Some worse than others of course. There are several options you can use to help prevent rust from forming on a new or rust free used truck. I used Fluid Film on my 14.

2. Aug 7, 2020 at 3:22 PM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    bed liners getting a (false) bad rap again for bottoms up rust. :rolleyes: original owner of an 08...12 yrs plastic lined and don't have those rust issues and yes i've checked. i live in mild weather and conditions so that's a part of it imo.

usaf.2012 likes this.
  3. Nov 16, 2022 at 8:21 PM
    jamie1959

jamie1959 New Member

Member:
    I just blast them on twitter. Tends to piss thes companies off.
    I mean look at this shit...F them

20221015_123540.jpg 20221015_123627.jpg
    @Toyota @DARCARSToyota @Ford @ChevyTrucks @NHTSArecalls @NHTSAgov 19000 miles after my 2007 tundra received toyotas CRC recall treatment instead of replacing the frame. Massive hole right where they applied the crc compound and said my truck was fine. #bucket #toyotaSham

4. Nov 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM
    Buildn

Buildn 2022 Tundra Limited CM 6.5 Bed TRD Off Road

Member:
    Medina, Ohio
    TRD Air Filters, Front door windows tinted to match the rears. Wheel locks, Talons Garage cat shield, Tyger Automotive soft tonneau cover, WeatherTech floor mats with Tuff Skinz Custom Emblem kit, Toyota OEM Emblem Black Out kit. AVS vent covers on all four doors, Red Tundra letters on front bumper & TRD highlighted in Red on front grille. Tailgate Tundra Letters in Black.
    Ya my 2008 Tundra had very similar rust bubbles from the bottom up at all 4 bed mounts.

I had a factory plastic bed liner and I found out when I took it to LineX for my spray on appointment.

I ended up taking my truck to a body shop that cut out the bad areas and welded in new steel plates. Then I took the truck back to LineX. Everything cost me about $1500 bucks. I did try to plead my case to Toyota but I didn’t get any results.

After I put the spray on liner in I sold the truck on trade for a 2017 Tundra.

5. Nov 17, 2022 at 3:56 PM
    nickrick78

nickrick78 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC
    First gens had the same problem.

Drop in bed liner isn't the issue. One of my trucks had a spray in liner and the bed floor still rotted out.

Toyota doesn't care. Their solution is to buy a new truck.

6. Nov 17, 2022 at 6:31 PM
    Rubberdown

Rubberdown Spilling my guts here.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    I 100% get Toyota’s side of it. It’s an old truck. The warranty is expired. They owe you nothing past the warranty.

It does suck though. I replaced my uncles bed for him a couple years ago. Went to the junkyard in Texas and bought one, took it to Maaco and had it painted. He got all his bolts loose before he drove to Texas from Michigan. Changed the bed in a few hours. Only hickup was a rusty spare tire thing. We grabbed that at the junk yard off the same truck and that was that. Total cost was maybe 1500 bucks.

7. Nov 19, 2022 at 5:25 AM
    dondino

dondino New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tunda Crewmax
    Geez I hope it doesn't happen with mine, however mine is from Colorado and is exceptionally clean. Bringing the truck back to Pa. I immediately had it coated with NH oil/black so hopefully that doesn't happen. Here in the rust belt we know all about rust/rot.....wow that is some rust there on half assed's truck bed, funny thing though if you lived in Ohio it would still be street legal to drive it like that, in fact you can see trucks like that almost anywhere in Ohio driving around. Bungee cords are your friend in Ohio.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  8. Jan 11, 2023 at 6:46 AM
    GSil

GSil New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC Tundra
    Any body that has had the issues with bed rusting at the mount location and got it fixed, about how much did that run you?

9. Jan 11, 2023 at 4:52 PM
    ToolCat

ToolCat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    For anybody working on their Tundra beds, I found replacement bolts at McMaster-Carr, p/n 91180A721.

They come in packs of 5, priced around $17 per pack. M12x1.25x110mm Grade 8.8 Steel Hex Head Screw, zinc plated. (100mm length works fine as well.)

(OEM bolts are about $16 each!)

Chances are for an older Tundra your original bolts will be rusty and shot, although the washer is usually fine. So, I reuse the washer by grinding the OD of the bolt a bit to free it.

Coat the entire new bolt and bottom of washer with anti-seize to help protect from corrosion.

10+ year Tundra owners should probably check their original bed bolts.
    (Torx T55, M-C has a 1/2" drive impact-rated T55).

ToolCat

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    Trident likes this.
  10. Jul 13, 2023 at 10:51 AM
    old dude

old dude New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4WD
    Have the same issue with my 2011. Going to pull the bed, cut out the bad metal, weld in new and replace the two cross members later this month. It really caught me by surprise because I have a lift and a couple of times a year I check the underside. Six months ago I pulled the factory bed liner and crap! rust in about 6 places. All where the cross members are spot welded to the bed floor. I live in the Northeast so no chance of finding a rust free replacement.

PhotoNerd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top