1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do You Feel Your S-Mode Shifts Backwards? Fix Inside!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Wynnded, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Sep 16, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    Looked like this..... tried a sharpie but it was see through when the lights were on. Used a black paint marker, 2 coats. Had to scratch off the +/- from the underside and then painted the underside. It was super easy I could do it again in 15 minutes.

543A04DC-F183-49DC-BBF8-39D02CE1AD45.jpg

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 16, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    Now if only I could get my tune from ov to try it out!!!! Waiting is the hardest part!

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 17, 2019 at 4:02 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    There you go everyone, that's how it's done! Thanks for sharing!

Ya, we're all in the same boat there....

4. Feb 3, 2021 at 8:53 PM
    pman9003

pman9003 New Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum 4x4
    Has anyone tried this on a 2019 or 2020? I have a 2020 and would like to do this fix.

@Wynnded Question about removing the pins. The first tabs you unlocked with the larger screw screw driver, did the connector crack at the top or there a split there to allow it to lift up?

5. Feb 4, 2021 at 4:09 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I would guess that it depends upon which type of connector Toyota elected to use at the point where you find it easiest to access the circuit. In my case the connector had two small openings large enough to get the screwdriver blade in there to pry upward. That portion hinges at the opposite end, you can kind of see "legs" for the hinge at the opposite side of where the openings (screwdriver) are. It doesn't open way up, it just pops up a millimeter or so. Other types of connectors that I've encountered have a similar rectangular shaped "lock" that pops straight up around the entire circumference, again only a mm or so.

6. Feb 5, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

Member:
    Subscribed.

Although I rarely use the S-Mode. But I agree, the +/- should have been arranged like how motorcycle shifting is. This explains why Toyota is not in the motorcycle industry. LOL

I have to ask, how often do you use the S-Mode on paved roads? The only time I use it is when I'm towing my toy hauler uphill.

7. Feb 5, 2021 at 4:08 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Aside from towing, I like being able to control the shifting and minimize gear changing when driving around, especially in city/surface street traffic.

I do 95% of my driving with the nannies off, using S-mode. Especially since I got my DD 8” exhaust a few years ago.

:burnrubber:

8. Feb 5, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I will often times use S-Mode on mountain passes for engine braking greater than what Tow/Haul provides, or preselecting a gear for a more efficient pass. :burnrubber:

9. Feb 5, 2021 at 6:42 PM
    MTRock

MTRock 1889

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior DC
    DC rear fold down seats, decals removed, blacked out badges, complete stereo, ceramic coating, ToyTec Boss 3/1.5, RidgeGrappler 305/70r17, blacked out rock rings and center caps, smoked tail lights, BAMUFFLER Alpharex Pro headlights, TRD PRO Sequoia Grille, DAPtune
    Great!!!! Wish I could’ve fixed it when I bought my Tundra!!! Took me a while to get used to it cause it WAS backwards! F^€k now if I flipped it the way it should be it would take months to get used to it again!!!

10. Feb 5, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Change can be good...:D

MTRock[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 5, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    I use it coming down the mountain from snowboarding when stuck behind someone scared to go over 30... much better than riding my brakes. 12 years and 300k miles between my two Tundras and it has always felt backwards to me. It never occurred to me to do this until i saw this thread... at which point I immediately thought “hmm, a guy could probably just switch the signal wires...”

genius. I would have to black out the +/- symbols though

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 5, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    MTRock

MTRock 1889

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior DC
    DC rear fold down seats, decals removed, blacked out badges, complete stereo, ceramic coating, ToyTec Boss 3/1.5, RidgeGrappler 305/70r17, blacked out rock rings and center caps, smoked tail lights, BAMUFFLER Alpharex Pro headlights, TRD PRO Sequoia Grille, DAPtune
    Yeah.. I know...it’s gotta be done!! :curls:

Wynnded[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Feb 14, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    dbatson

dbatson New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 toyota tundra crew max 5.7l
    thank you thank you thank you! I have only been driving a tundra for about a year now, but the s mode shift logic of shifting up / down has driven me insane! Fixing this TODAY!

MTRock and Wynnded[OP] like this.
  14. Feb 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    You guys must like John Deere style hydraulic controls.

Products Discussed in

To Top