1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Power Inverter Installation Help

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by russellmoran, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mar 18, 2020 at 6:15 PM
    russellmoran

russellmoran [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 Tundra 4x4
    USB Ports, Linex, Aftermarket Su
    I just re-read this. It now makes a bit more sense. I’ve never done a relay switch and/or an add a fuse. Any suggestions? I have a 2018 1794 4x4 and all of my OEM ports are taken. I do not have any blanks. Thanks

thinking this for switch...
    https://www.ch4x4.com/product/ch4x4-toyota-small-push-switch-power-inverter-symbol/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. Mar 19, 2020 at 4:25 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon Hey! Get off my grass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Good morning, Russell. First, you will need to fin a relay large enough to handle the amps of the accessory you will be controlling with it. I think I read that you are putting in a 500 watt inverter. 500 watts divided by 12 volts = 41.6 amps. I would get a 50 amp relay for the project as the more common relays are 30/40 amp relays. If you haven't looked at the document (post #8) I attached on how I wired my 180 watt LED light bar, take a look at it because it is the same principle. You will need to find a place to mount your switch since all your stock positions are being used. There are a number of posts of what folks have done to add more switches that you probably need to check out. An Add-A-Fuse just allows you to power your switch by tapping a fuse location in you in-cab fuse box. As long as you use a relay and you tap a fuse location that is controlled by the ignition (truck on) you won't have to worry about forgetting to power off your inverter since it will only have power when the truck is on. The switch you get should have a power wire, ground wire, trigger wire that goes to your relay to turn it on to power your inverter, and a wire going to your illumination circuit (neighboring switch) so that your switch is lit when you turn on your lights. Again, check out the document I attached and hopefully it will all make sense. You will also need to use the appropriately sized/gauge wire for your project.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  3. Mar 19, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    russellmoran

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 Tundra 4x4
    I am understanding more and more. Not knowing much about electricity and circuits, this has become more than anticipated. I am glad y’all are helping though because I’m understanding the concept more and more. Thank you so much.

About the relay...my inverter is 500Watts and has two 40amp fuses. Should I get an 80Amp relay such as the one below?

Ehdis [1 Pack Car Truck Motor Heavy Duty Heavy Duty 5-Pin 80A 12V On/Off Normally Open SPDT Relay Socket Plug 5 Wire Automotive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KFKEFZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pf3CEbR8WMGCK

4. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    That should work fine.

5. Mar 19, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    russellmoran

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 Tundra 4x4
    What amp add a fuse should I get?

6. Mar 19, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Your switch will probably be a 3 or 4 amp switch so you can use a 3 or 5 amp fuse with Add-a-fuse. Keep in mind, the switch only needs a small amount of amps to complete the electromagnetic switch in the relay. The switch really isn't powering the inverter, the relay is. The switch trigger wire is what turns the relay on. So, you are grabbing low amps from the fuse box with the power wire for the switch, when pressed "on" the switch is sending that low amp power to the relay via the "trigger" wire going to the relay, and the relay is using that low amp power to complete the electromagnetic circuit in the relay for the high power accessory. The relay has connections for a direct hook up to the positive on the battery and a ground connection. You want the ground connection for the relay to be the same gauge wire as your wire going from the battery positive to the relay.

7. Mar 19, 2020 at 10:40 PM
    PeakIT

PeakIT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Tundra Double cab
    Coachbuilder 3” shackles, King extended travel, SPC upper arms, 5:29 gears, FN FX rims,35"tires, leer shell, grill
    87DCA718-65E8-4D07-8BA9-52EF1C6A0548.jpg Don't hook it to your cigarette lighter it has tiny gauge wire from the factory.

8. Mar 20, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra Ltd TRD OffRoad Dbl Cab
    You could always use a 12volt cutoff switch inline to the Inverter. Mount it in your center console

https://www.amazon.com/BANG4BUCK-Ma...54011&rps=1&sprefix=12volt+cut,aps,195&sr=8-4

9. Mar 20, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra Ltd TRD OffRoad Dbl Cab
  10. Mar 20, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    PeakIT

PeakIT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR Tundra Double cab
    Coachbuilder 3” shackles, King extended travel, SPC upper arms, 5:29 gears, FN FX rims,35"tires, leer shell, grill
    1A345137-1A51-43BD-B03A-D2BFDEADD672.jpg Just use a relay with an ignition on, or switch to trigger it. That is how things from the factory work.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    NewImprovedRon likes this.
  11. Nov 10, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    Petergoose1

Petergoose1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 pro army green

12. Nov 10, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    Petergoose1

Petergoose1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 pro army green
    Could I follow this for a 1000w inverter instead of a light bar? There is so much different info on this. I sound lazy, but i just want directions and parts list. Lol. Btw I have a 2020 Tundra now, not the 06 on the profile. Thank you!!

13. Nov 11, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you can use the information to install most any electrical accessory you want. You just need to make sure you know how many amps you are adding (watts divided by 12 volts) with your accessory and then buy an appropriately sized relay, in-line fuse, and wiring. You may want to use the search function (upper right-hand side of the thread) and search "inverter installation" or something similar. I know others have installed inverters and have left a good trail of bread crumbs for others to follow. You may also want to take a look at the "mods and tutorials" tab at the top for any inverter mods.

Products Discussed in

To Top