1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Guide to installing OEM led Bed Light and Pop & lock for tailgate

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by BlueBottle, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jul 6, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    What the!?

What the!? New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Pro
    Had both the bed lights and the Pop N Lock for almost a year. Finally had some free time and got both done. Thank you for the write up! Saved me some time.

Note to self, if I ever have to do this again, make sure to either do it before I drive the truck through mud or make sure all of it is washed off before under the truck. Holy crap I came out looking like Arnold in the Predator after I was done. Dirt falling in your face while you’re trying to run cable is no fun.

pmcgeorge1964 and texasrho83 like this.
  2. Dec 2, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    Travo60

Travo60 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM Cement
    Anyone’s pop & lock freezing up? Mine will fail to unlock I’ve noticed when it gets a little chilly. I’m in Texas so nothing crazy about these temperatures to cause failure. Anyone notice theirs doing the same?

3. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 Teacher in a Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    I've done a little..
    Fellow Texan here and no issues with mine yet...

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum, Silver Sky Metallic
    A while back , I just happened to try to open the tailgate while it was locked. To my surprise it opened. The solenoid sounded like it was working but it wasn't. I gave it a good spray down with silicone spray and all was right again. :thumbsup:

Travo60 likes this.
  5. Jan 23, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    coachflip

coachflip New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 CM
    Mine did that also, had to grease the joints in there. It would lock, but not unlock.

6. Feb 6, 2020 at 4:58 AM
    tlpru

tlpru New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    trent
    Southlake, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trd Pro
    added power mirrors, auto fold mirror, 2019 TRD head and FOG lights, FORTIN remote start, retrax tonneau cover, 18" fuel BFGK02, TRD sway bar, TRD intake
    have 2016.... is there a different version of the "pop lock" out there?.. sounds like this lock is very loud....

7. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Front sway bar, TRD Rear sway bar, TRD red and blue shocks, 2018 LED headlights and fogs, TRD intake box lid, TRD air flow accelerator, AFE Super Stock Intake with dry filter, TRD radiator and oil cap, Radium PCV Oil catch can, StopTech SS brake lines, LED puddle lights, VLED interior lights, OEM metal oil filter housing, Fumoto oil drain valve, LED front turn signals, TRD Battery tie down.
    Anyone know of a led cargo light that will match these led bed lights?

8. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon Hey! Get off my grass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Are you talking about led's for your cargo/upper brake fixture that will match the led color of the bed lights? If that is it, I think I installed Fyre Fly leds that were 6000K if I remember correctly...

[​IMG]

9. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Front sway bar, TRD Rear sway bar, TRD red and blue shocks, 2018 LED headlights and fogs, TRD intake box lid, TRD air flow accelerator, AFE Super Stock Intake with dry filter, TRD radiator and oil cap, Radium PCV Oil catch can, StopTech SS brake lines, LED puddle lights, VLED interior lights, OEM metal oil filter housing, Fumoto oil drain valve, LED front turn signals, TRD Battery tie down.
    Yes exactly. Thank you. I was thinking they are 6000

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Feb 6, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon Hey! Get off my grass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Yep!

11. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    102dalz

102dalz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra CrewMax White
    None
    Yeah, I've noticed the P&L gets sticky in the Arkansas cold...haven't fixed it yet (wife hasn't complained enough). Thanks for the tip on the silicone spray though.

12. May 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    Did you have enough wire for the job or did you have to get extra? If so, what type and how much did you need?

13. Jun 2, 2020 at 12:18 AM
    DTSPtundy

DTSPtundy New Member

Member:
    Just installed on my truck. Took 30-45 minutes. Hardest part was getting under the truck to route the wires. Definitely recommend as I back into my garage which means if I wanted to get anything out I'd have to start the truck, pull up, turn the truck off, and then get out to unlock the tailgate.

Products Discussed in

To Top