1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY clean CB install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Randy1794, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Sep 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    Randy1794

Randy1794 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Dixon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    First off I want to start by saying, I was totally surprised at how little CB radios are used now days after the install. I used it on a recent mult-state trip and can count on both hands the number of times I heard anything on it unfortunately. So for those who still like to add a little nostalgia in your trucks...here goes.

I started with my old Cobra 29 radio I had installed in another truck may moons ago. I had a hard time finding a place to mount it and finally decided on the side of the center pedestal by my right leg. Surprisingly it does not interfere or bother my gas pedal leg like I thought it would.

Next I wanted a clean coax install and thanks to someone on here who pointed me to a removalable plug under the truck behind the drivers seat. I removed the plug and used a hobby knife to make a small cut in the soundproofing and carpet behind the drivers seat. I feed the coax through and along the side of the seat, securing it with a few ties to mount. I then made a small cut in the rubber plug and reinstalled it, securing and waterproofing it with a good amount of clear RTV. I then secured the cable to the frame rail so it would not interfere with the parking brake hardware and mechanism.

Finally I place the antenna mount flush with the bed rail on the drivers side. Topping it with a 5’ firestick antenna (I keep the antenna removed unless I plan on using the radio, as I accidentally already drove through a drive through with it installed).

Products Discussed in

To Top