1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY clean CB install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Randy1794, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Sep 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    Randy1794

Randy1794 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Wentzville, MO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    First off I want to start by saying, I was totally surprised at how little CB radios are used now days after the install. I used it on a recent mult-state trip and can count on both hands the number of times I heard anything on it unfortunately. So for those who still like to add a little nostalgia in your trucks...here goes.

I started with my old Cobra 29 radio I had installed in another truck may moons ago. I had a hard time finding a place to mount it and finally decided on the side of the center pedestal by my right leg. Surprisingly it does not interfere or bother my gas pedal leg like I thought it would.

Next I wanted a clean coax install and thanks to someone on here who pointed me to a removalable plug under the truck behind the drivers seat. I removed the plug and used a hobby knife to make a small cut in the soundproofing and carpet behind the drivers seat. I feed the coax through and along the side of the seat, securing it with a few ties to mount. I then made a small cut in the rubber plug and reinstalled it, securing and waterproofing it with a good amount of clear RTV. I then secured the cable to the frame rail so it would not interfere with the parking brake hardware and mechanism.

Finally I place the antenna mount flush with the bed rail on the drivers side. Topping it with a 5’ firestick antenna (I keep the antenna removed unless I plan on using the radio, as I accidentally already drove through a drive through with it installed).

AggiePhil likes this.
  2. Aug 1, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    Keegan C

Keegan C New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 Ed. 4x4
    How did you route the power cables into the battery?

3. Aug 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    If you look closely at the pics it is connected to power via the 12 volt accessory adapter (Cig lighter). It only pulls about 1.5 amps on transmit so it doesn’t need a direct to battery connection like a ham radio.

4. Aug 2, 2020 at 12:01 AM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    For a cleaner power install, tap into the accessory outlet on the back of the console. Pops off easily and is ignition switched.

AggiePhil likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top