1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, 14+ Mount Kit & Bezel

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by MotoTundra, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017 at 6:31 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    My budget only allowed for the Squadron Sports, haha. Realistically for what I do and how often I drive my truck the Sport's are way more than what I need and expected. I can't imagine how the Pro's are!
    Thanks!

Thanks! Excellent point with the lenses, I bought both Amber and Clear, that way if I change my mind I have them on hand. Not sure if you installed them yet but let me know how you like them. Also I'm sure some of the guys on here would appreciate some night output pictures with the Clear lenses. I hope to post some with the Amber lenses this weekend.

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  2. Sep 13, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    RussellVaughan

RussellVaughan New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Gray TSS 5.7 CM SR5 4x4
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    my lights come next week, hope to get them installed next weekend. i'll post before and after night pics.

3. Sep 13, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    WatTundra

WatTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    FTW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra
    Stock as a rock minus tint
    Hey Moto it's all good! I understand busy.
    I wasn't aware that you had to remove the entire setup just to change the lenses. So yeah don't do that.

I'll have to review your link later, just got slammed at work.

4. Sep 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    Tundracollector

Tundracollector New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 Dc trd pro, 04 Dc, 08 rcsb
    https://youtu.be/G5NtPJ4Ozek

Just a little sample of squadron pros with amber conering lens, I should have taken a wide view of but y'all get the idea.

5. Sep 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User

haha do you get pulled over? The pro's were on my list but I think I may go for the sport

6. Sep 17, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    Love your truck, your attention to detail, and your write ups. Kind of been thinking about going back to an OEM bumper lately and if I do I very well may copy you here. Great write up as always!

7. Sep 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Thanks man! I wish my truck was half as BA as yours!

Any issues with the Go Rhino or just looking for a different look?

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  8. Sep 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    They look good!

9. Sep 17, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    No issues at all, just considering something a little less uh..underbitey.

10. Sep 17, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    @WatTundra @WarEagleSteve
    I updated the original post with some night comparison shots. Here are some more...

These two are at a dead end, showing the cutoff/brightness from my Morimoto D2S projectors compared to the Baja Designs Squadron Sport's....
    DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg

These are along a dark road:
    DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

11. Sep 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    Tundracollector

Tundracollector New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 Dc trd pro, 04 Dc, 08 rcsb
    I had them for 7 months, I use them regularly and I have only been flashed 3 times, I do have them slightly pointed down and I never been pulled over for them, I have gotten plenty of compliments like........"man those are bright ass fck" lol

12. Sep 18, 2017 at 5:03 AM
    WatTundra

WatTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    FTW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra
    Stock as a rock minus tint
    You are going to cause me to spend ALL the money! I don't need to see this thread until later this year HAHA. Amazing comparison with a huge difference.

13. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM
    manofsteele2003

manofsteele2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    17 Super White Tundra Crewmax Limited
    TRD Pro grill and surround, paint matched door handles, mirror covers and bumper ends. Bilstein 5100's, Extang Trifecta 2.0 tonneau cover, Husky xact floor liners, LED interior light upgrade, custom HID projector headlights. Custom powder coated TSS wheels w/Falken Wildpeak AT3W's 275/60R20
    Love the mounts on the BD's, I have the Rigids on both the trucks (4Runner and Tundra) and I love them but the mounts suck. The mount for the Tundra isn't sturdy enough, you see the light bouncing when you hit bumps in the road. I'm going to take them off and weld in a gusset to see if that helps.

One thing to remember is the Rigids are DOT legal as the BD's are not.

MotoTundra[OP] likes this.
  14. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    sdhq_offroad

sdhq_offroad New Member Vendor

Member:
    GILBERT, AZ
    Rigids are ONLY DOT legal is you buy their SAE compliant version. They tint the lens and diffuse the light so much to make it compliant.

15. Sep 19, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    manofsteele2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and surround, paint matched door handles, mirror covers and bumper ends. Bilstein 5100's, Extang Trifecta 2.0 tonneau cover, Husky xact floor liners, LED interior light upgrade, custom HID projector headlights. Custom powder coated TSS wheels w/Falken Wildpeak AT3W's 275/60R20
    Yes that's what you get with the fog light kit the DOT legal duallys unless you switch them out.

16. Sep 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    The BD mount is great, I agree. I don't have any experience with the Rigid mounts to compare, but I have zero complaints with the BD mount.

The SAE Rigid lights initially got my attention, I wish BD had a DOT compliant lens, but I'm still happy with my decision. I don't use them with oncoming traffic as a precaution. Can't wait to use them in thick fog/snow!

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  17. Sep 19, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    manofsteele2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    They are a fantastic upgrade from stock either way you go, I travel on back roads going to work and they are great at spotting deer and getting through fog.

18. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:21 AM
    RussellVaughan

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    So I ordered my Squadron Sports with clear driving/combo lens from Baja Designs. I got the driver's side installed yesterday. What a huge difference! Insanely bright. Here is the difference between stock (and pics really don't do it justice):
    IMG_2911.jpg IMG_2912.jpg

I ran into an issue with the passenger side install. One of the brackets was bent too much, so the bolt did not have enough clearance to thread into the housing. I called Baja and they are over nighting a modified bracket (and another star washer since I was sent only 3). Why modified and not new? While looking into the issue for me, they learned their manufacturer bent all passenger side brackets too much. Instead of remaking the brackets, they are drilling out the brackets with larger diameter holes. Seems like a sufficient solution to me, as the excess bend in the brackets doesn't affect installation other than preventing the bolt was passing through.

So expect this issue if you haven't installed yours yet, or if they're already in transit:
    IMG_2916.jpg

Once I get the modified bracket, I'll install passenger side with some installation tips I have, then post night pics.

19. Sep 22, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Well the one looks great. Thanks for posting your install in here. My batch must have been alright, I didn't notice any issues. Very odd because I have horrible luck with things haha.

Well it sounds like they are taking care of ya, good stuff!

20. Sep 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    kstateskier

kstateskier New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tunda 1794 - Dark Metallic Grey
    Probably going to have to add these when I upgrade to the 18 headlights. nice!

21. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Thanks for the write up. But damn these look too bright to run on the streets! A lot of light goes up unto people's eyes.

22. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sure thing! As a precaution I'm not running them with oncoming traffic. For me they are more for thick fog, maybe heavy snow, and the occasional back road.

23. Sep 24, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    j2007

j2007 New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC Bronze Limited TRD
    Full Debadge, TRD Antisway, Platinum Grille, Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fogs, Morimoto MLED Headlight Retros, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller with dash mount, Front Tint, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Anytime Fogs, FRAC, Fortin Evo One Remote Start, 12 Volt Bed Power Socket
    I installed the Squadron Sports with the clear driving combo lenses a couple of weeks ago. They are really well made, and the light output is incredible. I have the stock headlights on my 2017 and when I turn on these fogs the light on the road looks more like my other car that has HIDs. I need to take them back out and angle them down some, the pattern is too high to use with other cars around. But on back roads or anywhere I would use high beams, these are so much better than the stock headlights.

MotoTundra[OP] and Watt maker like this.
  24. Sep 25, 2017 at 4:49 AM
    RussellVaughan

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Installation tip: you do not need to remove any screws or bolts from wheel well. This is how I did my install:
    1) Remove the OEM fog light housing by gently inserting screwdriver between black housing and bumper, then pry housing down. Should pop out easily.
    2) Undo clips on fog light housing. On one side of the housing, there are two clip/inserts. Release them.
    3) Remove screw. There is one screw on the opposite side of the fog light housing from the clips you just released. Removing this screw is a little tricky, but I did it with a large phillips head screw driver, working slowly at an angle careful not to strip the screw. Once you remove the screw, then you can remove the front of the fog light housing and set it aside.
    4) With only the back 1/2 of the housing, you can now insert the fog light into the bumper, which gives you easy access to the electrical connection.
    6) Unclip electrical, remove rest of fog light.

Theonlyway and MotoTundra[OP] like this.
  25. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Thanks @MotoTundra , just ordered the same setup as you, but I got clear combo for my second pair. How are the lights so far? Able to run them on the streets?

26. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Careful doing this. You can break the clip in the rear. The proper way to remove these is to un-clip everything from behind.

27. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    RussellVaughan

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I'll chime in...in my opinion they're too much for street use. I even had my neighbor pull in front of me in his accord, and he said it was overpowering his auto-dim rearview mirror.

no fogs:
    IMG_2946.jpg

with fogs (squadron sport clear combo lens):
    IMG_2945.jpg

28. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    That’s what I figured. Thanks for your input. Main reason I got it for is off-road since I don’t have any light bars.

29. Sep 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    @MotoTundra do you think yours are too bright for street use?

30. Sep 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    So far so good. No complaints!

I haven't been using them on the street. Fortunately my retros are pretty bright. These are more for inclement weather or maybe the occasional desolate backroad. I do plan to use them in thick fog and heavy snow, using discretion with oncoming depending on how thick the fog/heavy the show. However that opportunity hasn't presented itself yet!

They are bright! If you want to run yours fogs all the time I think the Morimoto XB would be much more polite to oncoming.

BlueBottle[QUOTED] and nowayout like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top