1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discount tire wears me out!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by WestexSBK, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Jan 16, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    WestexSBK

WestexSBK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SuperWhite CM TRD Sport 4x4
    About a month or two ago I was in my local discount getting new tires on my dads farm truck.

While waiting I wanted to price out some Toyo RT tires as I’m getting ready to replace my stock tires. They cursed the RT up and down the block. Said it’s not half the tire as the nitto RG. They cannot get them balanced. They are a horrible tire. Blah blah blah Ok, I ignored them.

Yesterday I was up there again getting the wife’s car rotated and a screw removed. While waiting I was just eyeballing the RG on display. It’s a great looking tire by the way. So a guy comes over and asked if I had any questions. I politely said no that I’m just looking. I’m lifting my truck this month and will be going with 35’s. This guy and his buddies start trying to sell me on the Toyo RT’s. They had nothing but praise and worship for it. They say it’s 10x better than the RG and only slightly more expensive! Blah blah blah

I was laughing so hard on the inside. I then called their bullshit in front of the whole store. I asked why in November it wasn’t even something y’all would sell me? They said they don’t know who told me that but it was probably a guy that has nittos on his truck as they have a few employees with them. And that they only sell quality tires. Nothing they sell is inferior in any way. Pure salesman BS!

If my wife didn’t insure the owner of these branches I wouldn’t ever go in there. It cracks me up how they try to bullshit people. I don’t get it!

Joe S

Krezz and 15whtrd like this.
  2. Jan 16, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  3. Jan 16, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    shellshock

shellshock Guy who drives a lot

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    I’ve never had a problem. I also don’t ask the store for tire advice, I order what I want and have the store put them on.

PeakIT, T500, RitcheyRch and 12 others like this.
  4. Jan 16, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    Sounds like typical car dude stuff man. Their own personal opinions shouldn’t reflect discount tire as a whole. My local discount tire doesn’t stock Toyos but they stock nittos. They have the same parent company - a lot of normies don’t know this.

5. Jan 16, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    WestexSBK

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That’s right. Same parent company. I understand pushing a certain brand but there are appropriate ways to approach it!

Let the customer tell you what they want so long as it’s a safe.

6. Jan 16, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Our local Discount Tire took a little while to get into the "corporate" groove when they first opened, but they seem to have worked all the "old-school tire store BS" out of the new employees now. There seemed to be pressure to sell me tires before I needed them, and the misdiagnosis of a rear wheel wear pattern almost led me to spend a lot of money to replace a rear wheel bearing that was fine. The wheel was rebalanced, and the rotation I came in for was done with skepticism. A few months later, normal tire wear had fixed the issue.

Sometimes its difficult to determine the motive of sales people, unless it's clearly a commission/profit situation. It seems to me that Discount promotes from within, and most people with the easy jobs at the front started out busting their humps in the back. If the rep had a really bad experience balancing a set of Toyo tires, that would stick with him. His disdain for Toyo doesn't mean he was deliberately lying to you, or that he profits from selling you Nittos over Toyos. I never listen to people trying to influence my decisions anyway; as soon as I sense even subtle pressure, I simply tune them out.

IMO, not going back to Discount because of one less-than-stellar experience would be a mistake. The next time you have a flat or need a rotation, your new tire store is going to nickel and dime you. Every organization has a wide range of personalities and experience. But, if I felt strongly, I wouldn't let my wife's business stand in the way of paying more for tires and services.

Here's some of your Tundra buds experience Toyo vs. Nitto:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/tire-recommendation-toyo-vs-nitto.38432/

When I shop for something, I never decide based on what people with a vested interest have to say. Their opinions are a data point only. I use as many on-line reviews as I can find...on-line reviewers usually have no vested interest (beware of some products where reviews are being bought). Reviewing takes too much effort unless they genuinely want to help others. Sorry, small sample on the Amazon tires, but I think Discount and other tire stores also have customer reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-OPEN-COUNTRY-Terrain-Radial/dp/B00PHNMDNW

https://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Ridge-...0r18&qid=1579191333&s=automotive&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  7. Jan 16, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    WestexSBK

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nor do I. Sadly they prey on ignorant people. It’s far to common in the automotive business.

TheBeast and 15Yota like this.
  8. Jan 16, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    +1, I make my own choice when it comes to tires. I do listen to what people on forums have to say except when they praise Falkens. To me a cheap tire is jut that, cheap.

15Yota likes this.
  9. Jan 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    That's funny you say that, I have Toyo RTs right now and just ordered some Falkens an hour ago to replace them hahaha

saybng likes this.
  10. Jan 16, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Im sure they have internal incentives that rotate to different brands monthly or so. Thats life. The guy at the nissan dealer is going to say nothing beats the titan. He may quit and go to the dodge dealer and change his tune. Such is life

T500, JohnLakeman and HappyGilmore like this.
  11. Jan 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I wanted to order Cooper XLT’s. He told me they don’t even show up on the computer. I told him they’re on the website!

T500 likes this.
  12. Jan 16, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5

I've never had a problem with DT either, they are my go to for tires.
    I agree with don’t ask the store for tire advice.
    That would be like going to a gun store and asking about guns, you're bound to have a particular salesperson push you into their own favorite.

I try to research and educate myself online with what I want and need before going to a brick and mortar store..

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  13. Jan 16, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    Go to Toyo and Nitto's website and read reviews on both. Also go to as many tire websites and read reviews on both. I've read more bad reviews on the RT than the RG especially in wet conditions.

14. Jan 16, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    I do all my tire research and purchases online. Then, I find the cheapest deal I can find and send it to discount - because they match/beat anything you can find. I have them installed at the nearest discount tire to me, and have never had any salesman pressure during the installation.

Sunnier likes this.
  15. Jan 16, 2020 at 12:16 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I personally listen to what the tire salesmen have to say. They do have experience on what works and what doesn't. Do some of them lean towards certain brands? Sure.

Hell, I would have BFG KO2's on my truck right now if I wouldn't have listened to a tire shop owner, and been really pissed. (I really like the BFG tires..FYI)

15whtrd likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I wish you would’ve told me there was not a three peak rating on the BFG’s I bought. I would’ve definitely gone another way like I was intending to from the start. But I do like the way they look. And so far they’ve been great, even in the snow.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jan 16, 2020 at 1:18 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    What BFG tire do you have? My K02's have the 3 peak rating.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 16, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
  19. Jan 16, 2020 at 1:30 PM
    matictundra

matictundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Franco
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tundra SR5 4x4 CM
    3"/1.5" Lift (Fox 2.5 DSC all around, JBA UCA's and Toytec Shackles at 1.5") Front and Rear TRD Sway Bars Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x12.5R18 w/ Brz 18x9 +25mm Methods MR701 Wheels AFE Dry Filter with TRD Flow Acc Dirty Deed No Muffler Exhaust Nitro 5.29 Gears RCI Engine, Trany/Trans-Case and Fuel Skid Plates Relocated Rear Diff Breather | Rear Brake Line Extension Jomax ABS Sensor Armor Colored Matched Front Bulge and TRD Pro Grill Assy Modded ADD Stealth Fighter Front Bumper Custom High Clearance Rear Bumper with Modded Tow Receiver Behind Plate and Chopped Rear Fender Custom Bed Stiffeners 2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights w/ Ihacker Harness | BD 40" ARC AMB/WHT DC OnX6 BD 10" Onx6 in the Grill (2X) Rago Low-Profile Ditch and Extended Brkt with Daul BD Squadron Pros - AMB & WHT AMB LED Chase Light (Cargo) | Dual BD Squadron Sports in Rear Bumper Prinsu Roof Rack with a Pair of BD S1 For the Sides and Rear Mictunning C2 Rock Lights, 2 per wheel, and Toyota style switch 2X 55" Quick Light Whips with Toyota style switch Switch Pros SP-9100 with Custom Switch Mount, Custom Engine and Roof Terminal Junction Boxes 12K Lbs Smittybilt Winch with wireless remote and Factor 55 FlatLink E Amp Power Step EVO-One Remote Start Limo Tint (All Around) | De-Badged LED Interior lights with Front / Rear Interior Footwell LED Blue LED Lit Lock/Window Switch Mod AJT Full Chrome Delete Kit w/ 3R3 Painted SHCS Toyota LED Bed Lights Leather Perforated Wrapped Steering Wheel Black TRD Shift Knob ESP Long Box BakFlip MX4 Bed Cover Thinkware Q800Pro Dashcam (Front & Rear) Rago Dashmount w/ Ram Phone Holder
    This is why you have to do your own research. I never relied on sale person tells me. By definition of sale, we wants to sale me stuff, inferior or not.

20. Jan 16, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    My thing was, I was under the impression the BFG K02’s were all three Peak Mountain rated. Didn’t even think twice about it. This was the only tire in the size I wanted in stock. Saw that it was BFG and figured I’d give it a try. So I didn’t do a ton of research before hand because I really had the Cooper’s on my mind.

But I was also under the impression that the blue decal with the white mountains in the background on America’s tires website meant 3 peak. It does not mean 3 peak! It means all terrain . So I was stupid from the get go.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  21. Jan 16, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I've only bought one set of tires from somewhere other than discount tire over the last 26 years. They always price match and for the most part do a good job. I never rely on them for tire advice since I do my own research. The only thing I ever have to get in their ass about is making sure they tq my wheels at 97 pounds. They want to do it at 100 and I won't let them. Ocd, but I don't care. They end up doing it and everyone is happy.

15whtrd likes this.
  22. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    @ColoradoTJ I didn’t mean wish you would’ve told me, that was a error I meant I wish “they” would’ve told me.

nvrgvup444 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  23. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I didn't know that either on the "optional" compound. Contractors were wearing out a set of tires in 10-15K miles on the regular compound with the snow rating.

24. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I knew what you meant. :thumbsup:

25. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    So the upside of that, these should last me a while since they are the alternate compound. And when I was looking back at the Coopers right now, it didn’t look like they were three Peak Mountain either.

26. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    On certain sizes, you are correct Sean. The consumer really needs to pay attention. I almost did the same thing.

27. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    What I’ve been noticing, if they have a mileage warranty, they don’t have a 3 Peak rating. At least from my quick research looking at a couple of tires I was interested in.

28. Jan 16, 2020 at 2:45 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    This is why the Cooper ATS XLT tires really got my attention. 60k mile warranty and....

4673942F-E2C5-4305-97F9-E267565D9037.jpg

1lowlife and 15whtrd[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Jan 16, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I don’t even know if it’s an option for the size I want in Cooper’s. Next time I’m definitely gonna do my research even better. I was looking for price and looks with a warranty.

30. Jan 16, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Yep 3 lbs on 97 is OCD and won't matter. Heck if they hff have not calibrated their torque wrenches lately they could be off that much

Products Discussed in

To Top