1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disappointing Quality on 2018

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by JBang, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Just need to add Pudges' maple syrup.

2. Feb 4, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    If I were ever to buy a new Tundra I would special order it to my liking. The way I want it although special orders are nothing like it used to be back in day. More engine choice, gears, lockers, minor trim changes, carpet or no carpets. Real trucks back in my day had "no carpet" standard, just rubber floormats. Made it easier to hose it out. AC was an option too. Manual trannys were preferred over matics. No overheating issues. AAMCO boys bored...

3. Feb 4, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    Totally agree! And when they buy it and have an "issue" or find something they don't like they go straight to the forums to complain.

4. Feb 4, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    I always take the demo vehicles I'm interested in down a few of our fine Shreveport/Bossier roads. The one that wins is usually the one that the dash doesn't try to leave the cab. Not that the Toyotas didn't shake or rattle but I had the other "big three" dashboards moving completely independent the rest of the interior. Two years ago I drove a Ram demo with a rock peck in the windshield and watched it run all the way across from the passenger side.
    Once I have decided, I take the one I'm going to buy out for a "shakedown" too.

5. Feb 4, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

joonbug likes this.
  6. Feb 4, 2018 at 7:32 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Hausincake?

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    Me too! With all of the online info out nowadays, I did my research and decided before even contacting a dealer that I wanted a Platinum to replace my Silverado LTZ. Then, after using TrueCar to locate Platinums in my area, I scheduled a test drive on a Saturday morning. After taking it out on the best and worst/bumpy roads with the salesman for an hour, he put a temp tag on it and then I took it for an extended all day "test drive" to show the Mrs. It drove and handled great and no rattles at all. I did the deal that night and closed on Monday. On Sunday, I downloaded the OM and read through it and have been referencing it ever since (and provided many references to the OM on here as well to those that "are too busy to read" haha). I learned a long time ago that just because your 10 year old truck included a feature you like, don't assume the new one is the same...the new one is most likely very different (including the engine)...Example: GM 5.3L has changed a lot over the years. My 2016 Tundy is very different than my 2002 was...

8. Feb 4, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Always lol at the ppl who make accounts here just to complain.

These are minor issues dude go take it where you got it and have them look at it.

Your gonna be severely disappointed if you think the grass is greener on the other side

9. Feb 4, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    JBang

JBang [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Yes, back from the dealer again, 2nd time, same vibration, same buzzing from the dash, and still the window chatters when going up when wet.
    apparently the clunk is the ABS so that will never go away.
    I definitely will try a different dealer.
    going from an 02 to the 08 tundra was a huge upgrade, and now such a down grade with the 2018 - although I love all the technology!
    My 08 started to have starter issues, same old song from the dealer, couldn't observe the issue, I idled the truck for an hour and a half, fearing it won't start
    then lifter noise under load, metal shavings found in filter! which is when I went with the 2018.
    My next truck will most likely be a 2nd generation Tundra, just will have to find a diamond the the rough!

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Feb 4, 2018 at 12:47 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Well thats unfortunate 16 TRD they did for me. Looks like you got it resolved. :thumbsup:

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  11. Feb 4, 2018 at 8:53 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    And here I thought I am the only one who downloads the owner manual and reads most of it prior to picking up my new truck. And I also try to take extended test drives with at least two vehicles (went to two different dealers before buying my Tundra). I mostly did it to see if I can achieve sticker MPG after reading all the fuel consumption horror stories.

ChucklesToy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 5, 2018 at 12:42 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    SON OF A BITCH.

Watt maker and ColoradoTJ like this.
  13. Feb 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM
    Auriarte02

Auriarte02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sand Tundra TRD Limited
    ADS 2.5" Coilovers with Clickers ADS 2.5" Piggybacks MCM Uniball UCA's and Shackles Chrome Delete Coming soon to Color Match Quick Sand ( wrapped front bumper caps ) 2018 Honeycomb Platinum/Sport Grille on order ( Color Match bulge and surround) 35x12.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers w/ KMC 20x9 Wheels +25MM offset
    i'm having a lot of issues with my head unit. It is always freezing and anytime i make a phone call it will turn black and restart. POS

14. Feb 5, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Laz1388

Laz1388 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Laz
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794 MGM
    Windows tinted, Spray-on bed liner, Chrome Delete, Roll-N-Lock retractable cover, Painted fender flares, TRD PRO Suspension, Front and Rear TRD Sway bar, Magnaflow Exhaust, ReadyLift 6" lift, Bronze KMC XD Grenade wheels 20X9-18, Toyo Open Country R/T 37X12.5-20
    I had Similar Issues with my previous Tundra 2014 Limited, It took the dealer several software updates to cure the issue

Auriarte02[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top