1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Digital Dash Project, What values would you like to see? (Speed, RPM, Mpg, ect.)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Jeff_5_7, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Mar 18, 2022 at 5:21 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    They are there already inside the airbag control module. It is always monitoring Forward and Side acceleration. Toyota has a separate Yaw sensor right next to the airbag ECU at least on Tundra.

I think our Toyotas also watch for Roll and Pitch angle as well, I know almost all newer vehicles do because its reported in the black box after an accident. I have read/seen hundreds of these "black box" reports.

I am however not sure what all data is transmitted on the CAN. I will be looking into this soon. I am very sure the forward and side acceleration is on there as well as Yaw angle. If Roll and Pitch angle is on there as well it could easily be coded into the display.

Our Ford truck at my work place has a digital inclinometer and I would not be surprised one bit if its run on CAN signals from the Airbag ECU sensors.

2. Mar 19, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    Shadowfax1

Shadowfax1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition w/ TRD Off-Road Package
    that Ford digital inclinometer is exactly what I was thinking. My brother in law has it on his F150 Lariat. It always surprised me Toyota didn’t include one on a truck on which they make a big deal of their off-reading capability.

3. Apr 12, 2022 at 4:47 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Just shot this quick video sitting in my driveway. I need an antiglare overlay or a better camera.

Also need to figure out how to video it while I drive.

https://youtu.be/9dgYw6fJGBg

4. Apr 12, 2022 at 6:34 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    @Jeff_5_7 you have created something I have to have! There are films one could use if it becomes tough to read for the driver...but I suppose it's only the camera...regardless, incredible work buddy!

nhw544 likes this.
  5. May 17, 2022 at 7:01 PM
    Rivulose

Rivulose New Member

Member:
    Interested for sure. Got a 2016 and was always surprised by the lack of real information available with a digital screen available to have it all there.

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  6. May 17, 2022 at 7:06 PM
    Tundra John

Tundra John New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    4” Readylift, Fuel 20” tires w/ Kenda 35”x12.5 tires, tint, dechromed, Custom Platinum Badging, Running Boards, Auto tailgate lock, LED swap, Changed out stereo system, VLeds Interior floor lights, DirtyDeeds 8” exhaust, TRD air filter, wrapped interior silver components,
    Amazing work! I am sure there will be a lot of guys Interested in this.. including myself!

Divineazn716 and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  7. May 20, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    I just saw where the ScanGauge 3 came out. It is now a fullly digital LCD. Kind of surprised it took them this long to come out with that honestly.

Anyway for anyone wanting some simial to my setup this is probably the way to go for $250. Thats about the price I could build these for if I ever get the design finailzed.

ScanGauge is a good product with alot of features and data avaible. I might order one just to play with.

https://www.scangauge.com/shop/scangauge-3/

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  8. May 20, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    I'd pay $250 if it would overlay the DIC like yours does...but that is sweet its available now...finally!

Jeff_5_7[OP] likes this.
  9. Jan 27, 2023 at 9:49 AM
    Optic15

Optic15 New Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tundra SR5
    Level kit Morimoto XB headlights & fog lights LED light bar behind bumper KMC XD wheels 18” 34” Cooper Discoverer tires Pioneer double din head unit 10” subwoofer - x2 Back up camera trunk latch
    Real late to the party on this one lol but I've been looking into digital clusters ever since I bought my tundra. I was curious have you ever looked into this particular digital dash? my only problem with it would be how the hell to hook it up. I found this when I stumbled across a video on youtube by donut media. let me know what you think! I may embark on the journey here.
    https://dd-efi.com/collections/12-3-pro-dash/products/12-3-pro-dash-universal

10. Jan 27, 2023 at 11:06 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    My opinion is that would be a huge undertaking and here is why.

That display is designed and programmed to work with Megasquirt an aftermarket engine management solution. I am not 100% familiar with its ability to adjust programming but I’m sure you can to an extent. I would assume it could be a “receive” ecu only. Meaning it only takes data in and displays it on screen.

Toyota instrument clusters however are a two way communication in that it receives and also transmits data out. For example the odometer value is saved/stored in the cluster and is sent out to all other ECUs in the truck. The interior illumination circuit runs through the factory cluster with the dimmer and is then sent out to all interior lights.

You would essentially have to teach a display that speaks megasquirt how to read and talk Toyota language. By the way Toyota language is proprietary data with little to almost no documentation. Not only would it need to read Toyota language in it would have to have the ability to send it back out. If the other ECUs of the truck don’t see data coming out of the cluster they become very unhappy and starting throwing trouble codes.

A retrofit like this could take months if not years to get all the bugs worked out. You would have to log, map and translate so many signals.

Some of the “mechanical” inputs to the cluster would have to be addressed. Oil pressure, fuel level ect.

My display shown in this thread didn’t remove the factory Toyota cluster, it just stands in between the cluster and the rest of the ECU network to listen to what they are saying. I still had to teach my microcontroller how to read in and translate Toyota language. I read in probably 20-25 data signals to run all the variables on the screen. Each one had to be located, logged, and translated one by one. It took almost a full year to do all of this.

I then expanded in just retrofitting to the 2018 Tundra instrument cluster. Which is currently what I am running in my truck. The 2018 cluster still requires an inline translator microchip to move factory Toyota data around to different locations where the new cluster is looking for it. The cluster show here with the display is sitting on the shelf.

Optic15[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 27, 2023 at 11:11 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    You would almsot be better off removing all of the Toyota ECU network and running a Megasquirt engine management and ecu network. All your sensors ect would be “aftermarket”

This is a very popular option for people build race cars.

Optic15 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top