1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Different lug nuts when upgrading from steel wheels to alloys?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mdavis, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Apr 23, 2015 at 5:11 AM
    mdavis

mdavis [OP] I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Hey guys, just bought some OEM 20in limited wheels to upgrade the look of my truck. My question is, do I need different lug nuts when upgrading from steel wheels to alloys? I have seen some places on ebay selling wheels that say you need different ones. If so anyone have the part number for the lugs I would need for the 20in alloys? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 23, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    If your new OEM rims are not hub centric (rim hole centers on wheel hub) then you most likely need taper style lug nuts to center the wheel on the hub. (lug centric) Since they are OEM rims I would check with the dealer to be sure. I have the OEM lug nut set I bought from the dealer and they are pretty good. Not cheap.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Bob likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    mdavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks! I'll check with the dealer. I bought them as new takeoffs on ebay from a Toyota dealership but will check with my local. When you say not cheap, how much we talking?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Apr 23, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax ~ ARMY GREEN
    I would ask the manufacturer that question. I'm getting some Method wheels installed tomorrow and they special noted to make sure the lugs had extended thread. 14x1.5 ET Acorn style.

5. Apr 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I seem to recall somewhere near $40 for the set but included spare tire lift kit and lock.. As far as the rims, in this case the mfr is Toyota if they are OEM rims. Alloys will have extended threads compared to OEM steel rims.There are different taper types to take into account for sure. The dealer should have proper lug nut and torque info.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. Apr 24, 2015 at 6:07 AM
    mdavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks guys!

7. Apr 24, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    If they are mounted the same way the 1st gen alloys are you will need different lug nuts. On 1st gens the steel wheels are normal acorn type lugs and the alloys use a "shoulder" type lug nut that has the hex for the wrench, then a large flat washer type area, and then a straight shank piece that goes through the wheel. The OEM ones also have a taper on the end (just like the acorn nuts) that is not used for the alloys, but allows you to use the alloy nuts for your steel spare wheel (looks real weird if you bolt up the spare, but works). Check the wheels and see if they simply have a bored hole for the lug nuts with a flat outer mating surface (sleeve type lug nuts), or if they have a tapered seat (usually with a steel insert) if they are made for acorn style nuts. Pretty much all of the older 6 lug Toyota alloys used the sleeve type lug nuts and were hub centric. Wheel was centered by the hub and they lugs simply clamp the wheel against the hub. Regular acorn style lugs use the lug to both clamp and center the wheel. Don't use the wrong lugs as you can really trash the wheels if you put acorn nuts on a wheel that wasn't made for them...Not sure with the newer 5 bolt stuff. Did a search and all that comes up are the shoulder type lugs for both Toyota & Lexus with the difference in the new ones being they are a larger size than the 1st gen.

speedtre and Black Wolf like this.
  8. Sep 14, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    @mdavis what was the outcome with this? Did you need to use different lugs?

9. Sep 14, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    mdavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yes, you need different lugs when you go from the steel wheels to the alloy. If I remember correctly, the ones for the steel wheels are tapered and the ones for the alloys have a flat kind of like a washer where they meet the wheel.

MotoTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Awesome, thanks!

mdavis[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top