1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did IT Again

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Nowhereman, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Oct 9, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    That's what I'm focused on doing. You don't like reading this thread read something else.

Long Duck Dink likes this.
  2. Oct 9, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
  3. Oct 31, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    Nowhereman

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    I have isolated the short lived battery issue.
    For some reason, the OBD2 chip package is pulling a constant drain on the battery.
    If driven regularly it's a non issue but, IF you drive it once a week or once every two weeks and only for short trips, your toast.
    I pulled the OBD2 plug out after having a full charge and let it sit two weeks.
    It started right up like nothing; Battery checking in at 92% charge capacity.
    Put the chip plug back in and let sit for a week? 35% and turned over slower.
    The chip is now out when parked but, I plug it back in when driving more than 20 miles.

2mchfun and ColoradoTJ like this.
  4. Oct 31, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Thanks for the update! Amazing what a little OBD2 plugged in device can draw over a short period of time.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  5. Nov 1, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    Nowhereman

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    It's pathetic is what it is.
    I got half a mind to call up the manufacturer and complain but, most drive their rigs more than I do.
    Case in point... Got my License renewal yesterday as I bought my 21 Tundra in December of 20.
    The bill for the license is $788.00.
    My gas bill for that specific vehicle currently is $1100.00
    I live in CA.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    Long Duck Dink

Long Duck Dink Nope

Member:
    North Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White 1794 Edition Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    3/2" Readylift, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD Sway Bar, Line-X Bedliner, ArmorFlex Tonneau, ESP 3 bin storage, Amp Power-Steps, Driver Side Grab Handle, Ronin Antenna, Window Tint, ClearBra. Coming Soon: 20" Method MR305NV. BF Goodrich KO2 275/60/20
    Any pictures of where the OBD2 chip is located and how to unplug it?

7. Nov 1, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    Nowhereman

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    The plug is located below you're dashboard slightly left of you steering wheel.
    It's white with a lot of pins in it. If you have a hand-held computer to diagnose you engine, its the same plug.
    You can purchase chip sets that increase HP / mileage, or track driving habits for insurance purposes.
    They plug into that location.
    Problem is that it's on all the time and puts a constant drain on the battery.
    No issue if you have a minimum of electronics in your vehicle but with loaded bells and whistles vehicles, you can and do sometimes drain the battery down to a point where it won't turn over if you don't drive that specific vehicle enough.

8. Nov 1, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Long Duck Dink

Long Duck Dink Nope

Member:
    North Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White 1794 Edition Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    3/2" Readylift, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD Sway Bar, Line-X Bedliner, ArmorFlex Tonneau, ESP 3 bin storage, Amp Power-Steps, Driver Side Grab Handle, Ronin Antenna, Window Tint, ClearBra. Coming Soon: 20" Method MR305NV. BF Goodrich KO2 275/60/20
    OK. That's what I thought but I don't have anything plugged in there and don't have any after-market accessories plugged in. So I'm tagging my battery problem down as just a POS OEM battery from the factory.

I did have it replaced under warranty so maybe I'll get another 2 years off this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top