1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dec 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    I'm guessing it would look the same as the bed then. If u like it go for it. Like I said, I don't remember the exact reason he said not to color match the side steps. I want to say over time with the sun hitting it wouldn't look good but don't quote me. I do remember 100% positive there was some reason he didn't want me to do it though b/c I was thinking about how the side steps would look color matched. I just don't remember if it was an aesthetic reason he said I wouldn't like color matched or if over time the linex would change in color and not look as good, instead to go with black. Whatever the reason yeah just do ur homework or if u decide u might want color match, maybe just mention my story to the person doing it just to see what they say. Good luck anyway u go. Just thought I'd mention what I was told to try n help.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    For sure, I appreciate the help.
    When I got my bed line-x, it automatically comes with UV protection, so that’s a must if I go that way. Even with black I would ask for UV protection.
    But I do like the black it comes with from factory. Maybe it has to do with different material, I don’t know. But thanks I’ll sure look into it.

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 23, 2017 at 11:11 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
    Any thoughts on the best tie downs for securing gear on top of a Diamondback HD cover? This brand seems quality, but there are so many different options on attachment type, ratchet vs cam buckle, length etc. If you were going to have a 4-6 tie downs to keep in the truck for a variety of gear hauling, then what options would you pick? I don't plan on ever hauling an ATV up top. This seems like a basic question, but I tend to research stuff to death and I don't want something falling off the top when driving down the road.

http://powertye.com/store/index.php

4. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:48 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    I've been using good old ratchet straps on mine for years and they work great!

Lumber.jpg

Tundra9831[QUOTED] and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  5. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:37 AM
    tye

tye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tye
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DC
    Diamondback cover, flowmaster exhaust, n-fab sliders
    I use rope. Tie the ends with taut-line hitch's so that they are adjustable. Not had any issues.

Tundra9831 likes this.
  6. Feb 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM
    Tundra9831

Tundra9831 New Member

Member:
  7. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS
    Any reviews on the 1200$ version or what is another hardcore cover

8. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS
    How do you like it? Secure?

9. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Do it. I have HD, but guessing the se version is tits too.

10. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS
    I’d like to do the HD ...but I’d have to catch a hell of a sale

11. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Stulloh,

If I had to do it over, would buy Diamondback again. It's secure and everything stays dry. Looks good and tough. The folks at Diamondback are good to deal with, too.

Hope this helps,

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  12. Mar 22, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS
    You bought the SE vs the HD ? Any pics?

13. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  14. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS
    That’s a great deal but won’t fit my bed

15. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Bought the SE

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Stulloh[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    I am thinking about getting one. Question: what if you are hauling something and the lid won't close? And it is too heavy to strap to the top? Can you drive with the lid open?

17. Mar 22, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I would think u want to remove the lid so that u don't wear out the gas shocks prematurely or cause to fail. Remember when I brought u the side steps. I removed the back half of the top myself by just opening and slide to side off hinge. If u don't have the atv package like mine with the rails on top I'm guessing you can flip half the cover over on top of the other side, long as u secure it in place after doing this.

When we met I removed the back half of the HD version in linex with the atv package myself. All that stuff adds weight. So just an se version with no atv package I'm guessing would be much easier to remove by self.

18. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks so much Mike. That is a good point regarding being able to flip one of the lids completely over flat. I am going to give Diamondback a call to see what they say. Hope all is well man.

19. Mar 22, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    hi_rawb

hi_rawb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM TRD SPORT 4x4
    2018 Trd Sport
    F*# yeah! Looks killer! Mine should be arriving sometime next week.. did they call you b4 they were gonna drop it off?? I’m thinkn if they gonna come with a big ass truck Ima give them my work addy ..

20. Mar 22, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Np buddy. I think I remember that being an option long as u secure the flipped up side down to other. It don't work for me bc of the rails. I still might be able to but don't want to scratch up the rails rubbing on eachother since they just painted metal and not linex'd in that part. Def best bet to call them and hear for sure.

If I was u that would def be the route I went. On a black truck the black linex looks sick, nevermind all the positives of the cover. Other good covers are not that much less. For all the benefits over a regular cover it's a no brainer to me to spend the extra couple bucks. Even the se u can put 400lbs on top. U not doing that with any other cover.

Think since I had mine there was about a handful of times I had to take 1 side off and wished I could just flip back. One time was for u. Even then if I had a bed extender and not a swing case I could of just lowered tailgate and left cover on.

Even if they don't recommend, I'm pretty sure in a pinch for a short distance u could prob get away with just laying it back with simply popping out the gas shocks which takes literally 10 sec. I'm pretty posirive u won't regret the se.

21. Mar 23, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    kurtwp

kurtwp What

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 Off Road DC
    I lay the cover all the way back and strap it down. Also, I put a towel between the handle and top of the cover when I rest it all the way back. When closing the lid, make sure that the lid did not slide because you can bend the tabs on the hinges. @Stulloh to bad you did not live in the Charlotte area I may be putting my DB HD up for sale.

Kurt

JoshuaA likes this.
  22. Mar 23, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the information, man. I appreciate it. I'd be interested in your HD if you were closer to Philadelphia.

23. Mar 23, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I really appreciate all the information and your insight. You make a lot of good points, and it does look sick. I'd probably pull the trigger on the HD (go big or go home). My only reservation is I do a lot of driving with dog crates and other stuff making it necessary to have at least one panel of my current BakFLip open. I do it a lot more than I thought, especially in the summer.

24. Mar 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Measure the height of cage. I was able to get my water heater in the box into my bed under the cover. U figure it's at least the height of top of rails then goes inch or 2 above that.

25. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Good call. It's not much more than a few inches. Could be close. But then if it works, I'll have to blow more coin on an extender. :spending:Otherwise it will be awfully dark back there with the lid closed for my hound!

26. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:31 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Agreed but I find deals on bed extender all the time. Even brand new they nott that bad. Hey if u gonna go big time and spend some serious coin on the cover what's a couple hundred or less on a bed extender.

I would just flip the rear over and tie her down. Plus just flipping over the rear will also keep the cage within that space and keep it from sliding around in bed. You'll never have to worry about it sliding toward the cab. That or if u got a good amount of driving to do with it just remove the 1 section.

27. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Still able to use the rail tie downs too with this cover.

28. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Plus they out of PA. U can drive to their shop and have them put it on for u, I'm guessing they'd do for free. That plus ride over and bring the cage and get a good look on person on 1 of theirs how it would set up before u purchase. The benefits of living in PA and db being from PA .

RoujePN likes this.
  29. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:43 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Dude, you are seriously a danger to my bank account. And again, you make a good point, I’ve seen extenders for not much more than a hundred bucks. And then what will happen - if I get the HD - is I will buy a quad (I sold mine about 8 years ago) and all sorts of other stuff (like a random pallet of fieldstone, or a couch) just to haul it on the top of my tonneau cover and be bad a$$.. just because I could.

30. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:50 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Geez, I am embarrassed I didn’t even look hard to see where they are from. Especially after being on their website a few times. Wow. Centre County is still a ride from here but I’ve been out there many times and I should pay those boys a visit. Thanks for pointing that out.

To Top