1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Jul 25, 2020 at 11:36 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    @mgm16trdpro and @MotoTundra - hope all is well brothers. I have been getting after it. I am sure you are too.

mgm16trdpro and MotoTundra like this.
  2. Jul 26, 2020 at 2:57 AM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Member:
    Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road CrewMax in Slate Blue
    Diamondback HD tonneau cover, Cooper S/T MAXX tires, Rock Warrior grille, debadged, dechromed, Compustar alarm/remote start, Kenwood touchscreen with navigation, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, dual exhaust, limo tint on rear windows, Firestone Winterforce LT studded tires.
    Very cool! I bet that gets a lot of looks going down the road!

3. Jul 26, 2020 at 5:51 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Looks great! If I had that setup I would drive around like that just because! Awesome backdrop btw.

All is well here!

4. Jul 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Hey brother, I cleaned the truck yesterday
    20200725_150227.jpg

But besides that our new puppy is taking most MJ time at lately.
    20200725_111719.jpg
    Hope all is great on your end.

don3032 likes this.
  5. Jul 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    As always, the truck looks great. And that is a good looking pup!

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 26, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Lots of looks and laughs on the PA turnpike yesterday.

MotoTundra likes this.
  7. Jul 26, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Very cool.

Borgs[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 26, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Beautiful pup Mike.

9. Jul 26, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Tnx Jim. He's actually managed to surpass my truck obsession already.

10. Aug 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    Tigereye

Tigereye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM Limited
    bed liner, diamondback se, level kit, nitto ridge grapplers,tufskinz letters, grab handle
    I’ve ordered the SE and am considering bed light options. My truck has the bed rails and I’m looking at the Matt Gecko lights on the rails. Has anyone installed this with the D-back and how would it compare to just a couple of lights attached to the cover? If you have the cross bin, does the light strip in the front of the bed provide light in the cross bin? Thanks for your help.

11. Aug 5, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    56B89583-8E21-4092-9DED-896C51241371.jpg I have Matt’s leds in my bed, and they work great. The Under hood lights not so much. I have had 2 off Matt’s Under hood lights go out. Leds will progressively go out, until none work. Maybe due to heat in Texas or heat of engine bay. The Gecko lights provide great illumination for bin, and the third brake light thing on the top of cab lights up bin as well. Just have to hit the key fob if light goes out. Good combo in my opinion. I do not think the bed rails should affect the light, maybe slightly. I mounted the led strip on the vertical face, tight to the 90 degree in sheet metal. I mounted this way so led does not get pinched by diamondback clamps.
    00687FB9-AA89-4A06-AB0D-EC2FCA338BCB.jpg

0140E488-9E97-4915-AA28-E565F31CB5CD.jpg

mgm16trdpro and equin like this.
  12. Aug 6, 2020 at 3:46 AM
    Tigereye

Tigereye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM Limited
    bed liner, diamondback se, level kit, nitto ridge grapplers,tufskinz letters, grab handle
    Good idea on mounting the strip at the cab end. I didn't think about the cargo light. Thanks

13. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:32 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
  14. Aug 7, 2020 at 10:25 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
  15. Aug 7, 2020 at 11:34 PM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Diamondback HD tonneau cover, Cooper S/T MAXX tires, Rock Warrior grille, debadged, dechromed, Compustar alarm/remote start, Kenwood touchscreen with navigation, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, dual exhaust, limo tint on rear windows, Firestone Winterforce LT studded tires.
    Dang! That's one he!! of a deal! Sadly, it wouldn't fit my second gen Tundra, it will only fit a third gen. And I already have a Diamondback HD tonneau cover. Otherwise, if I had a third gen Tundra with the 5'7" bed I would jump on that, even if it was a few hours drive, even a day's drive. Even if it cost you $400 in gas/hotel and $800 for the Diamondback, you're still WAAAY ahead of the game. $1200 for something worth over $2000 new, and it's virtually brand new. I can't believe it's been for sale for over a year and a half, and he's dropped the price to just $800 and still hasn't sold it. My best guess is that ih8mud.com is more of a Land Cruiser forum, so probably the wrong crowd, but you would think he'd try Craigslist and maybe this forum and some other Tundra-specific forums.

16. Aug 8, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tell u what, for 800 I'd buy it even already having one. Too bad he's in Cali, however I'm pretty used to seeing all the good deals way on other side of country. If he was on east coast I'd buy it for 800 and make a few bucks on it.

Borgs and Luckydog like this.
  17. Aug 8, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    sotex

sotex Sic 'em Bears!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x2 SX
    if I didn’t have the regular bed, I’d buy it. $800 is a steal!

18. Aug 8, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I think you are mistaken here maybe?
    If you have the same size bed then the only real difference between the 2nd and turd gen is the thickness of the tailgate and the cover will still probably be just fine on either.
    Sure easy enough to get good measurements and see.

19. Aug 8, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    dittothat[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Aug 9, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I actually asked Diamondback about this before ordering, because occasionally they have some of their tonneau covers in an "as-is" section on their website, for returns (due to minor imperfections or damage, which are described so you can decide if it's something you can live with). There were more listings for third gen Tundra tonneau covers than for second gen tonneau covers. Unfortunately, they said it would not be a good fit.

I'm trying to remember what they said... maybe (and surprisingly) the curve of the bedside is different according to them and the shape or distance of the tailgate is different enough that it would not work well. Either there would be a gap or it would overhang. I don't remember the specific details, just that it was not worth trying to make it fit because it wouldn't. It would be sort of close, but when spending that much money (even $800 for that used one) I would want it to fit perfectly. For me, I felt more comfortable ordering a brand new one that was specifically made for the 2007-13 Tundra.

21. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:58 AM
    RoniusMaximus

RoniusMaximus The One and Only

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    Synthetic Blinker Fluid
    Regarding the Diamondback SE, will it lower the rear much when installed? Probably a stupid question but with my Pro, its pretty levelled stock and id prefer not having to install any lift if possible.

22. Aug 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    No you won't notice any weight from it.
    I have the HD with atv kit on it and it wasn't until I added a bedslide, bunch of tools, recovery gear, ect into the bed, plus a heavy ass gen y torsion hitch did I notice any weight in rear. With just the cover, especially SE you'll be fine.

RoniusMaximus[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Aug 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    RoniusMaximus

RoniusMaximus The One and Only

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
    Synthetic Blinker Fluid
    Thanks man. Theres a SE locally im thinking of getting if the seller will come down to $1k. Hes currently at $1100 for the SE with a storage tray as well. I messaged the guy in the link on ih8mud forum just now so hopefully hes willing to ship. 800 is a killer price for an HD.

24. Aug 15, 2020 at 3:26 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Good luck either way. I'm sure if u get either the SE or HD, either way you will be happy with it. It's a great product and great company.
    20200814_160324.jpg

25. Aug 30, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    BigJuelz

BigJuelz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Platinum
    Just ordered my SE smooth top diamondback. The wait time is killing me already!

jeffw6236[OP] likes this.
  26. Aug 30, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What's the wait time now? It was about 35 days when I ordered, plus shipping time (six days for me I think, because I'm on the west coast and across the border in Canada).

But they also offered a "Fast Track" option once a week, on Friday afternoons where they would move you to the front of the line. Of course, they only offer a limited number of spots, I think 25. I passed on it the first week because I was half outraged at the price ($250 extra) and I thought "what a gimmick!" But I thought about it all week, and realized between the 35 days waiting time and 6 days shipping time, I'd be receiving my tonneau cover about mid-August, but could really use it sooner, like in July. I was also worried that if there was a spike in COVID cases, they might have to shut down the factory again, which could delay production by several months, so I coughed up the extra $250 for the "Fast Track" and waited for the next Friday afternoon to place my order. My Diamondback HD, crossbin and ratchetching straps were shipped out on either the Monday or Tuesday, so they manufactured it that weekend. It was delivered on time the following week.

I've only had my Diamondback HD tonneau cover on for just under two months and already had several people take notice of it. Nobody every noticed or complimented me on my previous Backflip tonneau cover! When I got the Diamondback, I actually wanted it to look as inconspicuous as possible, which is rather difficult. I got the smooth finish (instead of diamond pattern) with the black Line-X spray so it would be black like most tonneau covers and blend in with the rest of my truck which is a dark color and has all blacked out trim. But, since the Diamondback tonneau covers are slightly elevated instead of flush with the top of the box like most other tonneau covers, it looks different already. I also opted for the 12 cleats to be installed around the perimeter so I could take advantage of the 1600 pound weight capacity and tie down cargo when needed. And the two locks mounted on top of the tonneau cover stand out a bit too. So, this tonneau cover is not as discrete looking as I had hoped. Lots of people are noticing it. On the flip side, it does give the truck a rather bad ass look, especially now that I dechromed and blacked out the trim, wheels, etc and got some nice meaty looking Cooper ST Maxx tires, even though they're stock size and I'm at the stock ride height.

If it's still available, I'd jump on it even if he's not coming down any lower than $1100. That's still a heck of a deal, especially with a storage tray, but if you can get him to drop another $100 off to help you cover gas to drive there (unless it's so close that it's unreasonable to even mention that). Or the other one for $800, another bargain! A private seller might not be up to shipping, espeically if he doesn't have the original packing materials. Originally it's sent by freight truck since it's too big and heavy to go by FedEx or UPS, so whomever ships it (if willing to) needs to work with a trucking company. Both of those deals are less than half price, so unless they're in rough shape and need repair, sounds like a bargain to me! If it fit my truck, and I could go there to pick it up, even if it was a few hours drive, I'd go. When I was getting my Diamondback, there was no such deal available so I had to pay full price for a brand new one.

5B64CF14-F0A7-488B-A233-A7834676FB31_1_105_c.jpg
    2D8BAC67-9A99-410A-8573-D2B81C1F0617_1_105_c.jpg

French Avocado and equin like this.
  27. Aug 30, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    BigJuelz

BigJuelz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Platinum
    I was quoted 28-35 days. Looking at the end of sept delivery.

28. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:05 AM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, they're still running at close to the same wait for delivery as they were right after re-opening in early to mid June after the COVID-19 shutdown. Either they're still catching up, demand is stronger than ever, or both.

29. Sep 8, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Singhv497

Singhv497 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vikash
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    I ordered the HD today and got a date for no longer than October 23rd.

30. Sep 8, 2020 at 10:51 AM
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like demand is stronger than ever! I guess the more of these people are seeking online and in person, the more they want them, despite the premium price tag.

I’ve only had my Diamondback HD for a couple of months and already had several people comment on it, ask about it, ask how much it costs, etc. Nobody ever said anything about my previous tonneau cover, a Backflip.

To Top