1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. May 16, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    Bones2012

Bones2012 2012 CM

Member:
    Windy City
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Crewmax
    Step Tubes BakFlip VP Dee Zee Bed and Tail gate mats Pop A Lock tailgate lock Smitty Built M1 Rear Bumper Weather Tech mats Interior LEDS Remote control Bed Lights Cabelas seat covers
    I had the same sort of issues. Came before the earliest possible ship date. I called to see if I could pick it up and it was already loaded on the truck for delivery. Did not receive a call from the driver which I was told they would call 30 minutes before arriving. Box was crushed down but no damage. I will post pics later of the finished installation.

ejd049[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. May 20, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    Part_time

Part_time Not a new member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    I am ordering one does it work better with or without tundra rail system. I could install some sort of rail on my own if need be.

3. May 20, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    I don’t know if it works better with or without the rail system, but mine fits and works well without it.

JoshuaA likes this.
  4. May 21, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    Part_time

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Going to order one by the end of week. Can't decide between HD and SE.can save lot of money with the SE even with adding 8 more cleats.

Has anyone ordered the racks? Would be interested in how well it worked for them. Could see it being a bit of a problem if you had a rack on the forward and back when you lifted both up at same time.

Let me know
    Would like to see pics with the racks

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Faht Nocker likes this.
  5. May 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    Part_time

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Anyway going to buy the SE. Can-get extra cleats to make up like the HD. Still be able to afford accessories.

equin and Faht Nocker like this.
  6. May 22, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    W Bill

W Bill New Member

Member:
    Didn't see many photos of the shiny model. Here is the HD on a 2017 SR5 6.5' bed, with the Cross Bin 13.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7. May 27, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Bill,

We really like our shiny Diamondback! Works "great" for camping!

Took this photo yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway!

[​IMG]

8. May 31, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    SL2019

SL2019 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black tundra dclb

Sir I wanted to thank you for the help! I got DB installed today and it does fit factory divider perfectly. Installation took me some 2 hours but mostly because I wanted to line up all the edges. There was some heavy rain right after installation, and I noticed a few wet spots so I will need to adjust the screws a little bit. Some mentioned 20 ft-lb torque for the central panel, I found it to be too much (I could start to see the slight cave-ins,) so I just hand-tighten it (but you be the judge.) Overall I’m very pleased and once again, thank you so much for taking the time to share the pictures of bed divider. I actually would not have bought it had it not for your assurance! I ordered HD version for 8 ft bed instead of SD. See pictures below.

9371E747-2576-4E06-BD81-ABB541DBFBA8.jpg
    37D7655F-A3AD-4799-84CD-C81B9FBE657E.jpg
    FF2F4916-D21D-43D1-A8B7-0A702AA4CDAE.jpg

9. May 31, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Dude, is that an 8-foot bed? Wow.

10. May 31, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    That 8 footer D.B. HD must have cost you $2500!!!

11. May 31, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    SL2019

SL2019 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black tundra dclb
    $2149 to be exact. Yes I love the 8-ft bed. Took me a while to find one (8ft and black) and I will keep it for a long long time. The only thing I don’t like is that traction light comes on from time to time without a good reason, took it to dealership and guess what, they didn’t do anything and instead took advantage of my 8ft bed and drove it home and did some Home Depot or trash dump run. Drove 75 miles and charged tolls to my tolltag! Learned my lesson and if you take it in, mark it somehow and somewhere.

You all have a great weekend!

Winning8, mgm16trdpro and MotoTundra like this.
  12. May 31, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Wow. That’s beautiful. You could land a chopper on that beautiful 8ft D.B. HD @MotoTundra and @mgm16trdpro .

I’d have raged at the dealer. Like nuclear and get the local papers involved. You kidding me?!

MotoTundra likes this.
  13. May 31, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    That's BS. I remember in college when I worked at a large dealership in service, techs would occasionally ask me to put miles on a car to see if a light went back on, allow the new transmission to relearn shift points, try to replicate a customer's complaint, etc.
    I always felt so weird driving around, never did any personal business or went through any tolls though!

That's complete BS that they put stuff in the back. Aside from customers wheels/tires that they want back, no legit reason to load the bed that I can think of.

Awesome truck btw!

I wouldn't be happy either!

Hahaha, basically, just some minor modifications here and there and we'll have a mobile LZ in no time! A Schweizer 300CBi's skid footprint is 6.54' W x 8.25' L. We need a little more width on the bed, also we would need to chop the cab to make it level with or below the bed, like a convertible; or raise the DB to be above the roof of the cab.

After all that, we have to paint a big "H" on it to make it look official.

I have some spray paint, extra lumber, and a sawzall....:D

1780474273.jpg

rideandfly and mgm16trdpro like this.
  14. May 31, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Part_time

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Mine shipped today, stoked. Ordered the SE, black of course and added 8 cleats to copy the design of the HD. Would like the load rating of the HD but between the bank account and the lack of an ATV to put on it I'm sure I will still be satisfied.

mgm16trdpro and equin like this.
  15. May 31, 2019 at 9:31 PM
    Abefroman

Abefroman New Member

Member:
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 4X4
    Just got my DB and installed it today!A5827327-02F7-4E84-B2F9-8D63F743F671.jpgB8CF81AB-BCFD-4C95-A9BC-0C0B8E252E10.jpg F501585A-0755-4F68-B3E2-5F6EDD59AD86.jpg8944AF99-CFFA-4D5D-803F-32336F36F09B.jpg

Cesartt, Tundrago, T.Durden13 and 6 others like this.
  16. May 31, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    Part_time

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Nice how long was the install, and do you have the rails? I don't .

17. Jun 1, 2019 at 12:59 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    . That's pretty cool that they make the cover for that loooooong of a bed. That truck looks ready for some real work. It wasnt until recently that I even knew Tundra made that long of a bed as an option. All that room in the bed gotta be awesome. Not only that but even with giving up the extra inside room of the crewmax for the double cab, the d.c is no slouch on interior cab space either. Looks like u got the best of both worlds there. Adequate space in the cab and some real serious putting in work room in the bed. Plus now with ur great purchase of the HD, u basically got yourself almost the room of like a flatbed truck on top of that sucker. Definitely a pretty cool combo u got there.

Yeah u will also find out they're an awesome company to do biz with. If u ever have any issues, knock on wood, they really do go above and beyond to make sure you are satisfied. I think u will be very happy with ur purchase.

Congrats on the truck, the cover, and welcome again as a new member. I also believe u will be very happy u joined this site. There's a good amount of great info u can find on it and the guys that belong here are a more mature crowd, made up of a lot of really great guys, always willing to help a fellow member who asks for it.

For the installation I found that it really helped to not only have an extra set of hands and eyes, but also, it really helped to have someone stand on the cover putting some weight on it as u tighten it down. This will take lot of the torque off that's needed to tighten it down, and with the compression of the weight on the seals around it, u wont really be applying that torque to the bolts so early on to the tightening process. U will only being using that torque on the last couple turns of the wrench since it's already compressed from someone standing or sitting on it.

Hope that helps in ur fine tuning of the cover. For me, mine is relatively tight. I also have a bedslide which sits up off the bed floor so the very little water drops I do get in there dont really affect or bother me. However, there are some guys on the forum that pretty much fine tuned it, to just about being not only water, but just about air tight too. I think @Borgs did quite a bit to make it waterproof. He's a great guy too and always willing to help, just ask.

I'd suggest my recommendation if u haven't already and get someone to put their weight on it next to where and while u tighten that part of section. See if that works and or helps. If you still get some water they're other things for sure that u can do for a better more water tight fit. All u gotta do is ask the guys here and explain issue, I'm confident they will help u out and you'll be able to resolve any potential issue u might have. Good luck with it, congrats, and you're very welcome for the help I provided that u appreciated. Take care buddy.

SL2019 likes this.
  18. Jun 1, 2019 at 1:14 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    I can see the miles, but using the bed and putting tolls on my tag, that's b.s. Unless u specifically told them the light comes on when something is in the bed? If not, I'd be talking with the service director there. If express my displeasure and get something out them for my displeasure. Whether it free oil changes, or some all weather mats, ect. I'd be pissed and looking at them to do something for me to help alleviate my frustration with what occurred. Good luck with it. U can probably search this site and might be surprised to find your answer and remedy to the traction light popping up. Just search those keywords like traction control light for no reason.

19. Jun 1, 2019 at 4:27 AM
    Abefroman

Abefroman New Member

Member:
    Springfield, MO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra SR5 4X4
    Only have the plastic caps on top of the rails. Don’t have the track system in. Took couple hours but had to keep stopping cause the wife in the middle of a 100 mile trail run(4.5 mile loop).

20. Jun 1, 2019 at 4:36 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    Did I hear something about a carrier landing? :spy:

Carrier Landing.jpg

21. Jun 1, 2019 at 7:55 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Bet Diamondback has not had an order for this one, yet. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Borgs, Jack Burton, equin and 2 others like this.
  22. Jun 1, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Still definitely a great choice on the se. What I dont understand is all the guys like yourself that dont have the need for a HD. Why would anyone consider any other cover on the market over the se? They go out and pay around a grand for a cover, when they couldve paid around the same and got themselves a badass se

23. Jun 1, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    Yesterday, three guys came up asking questions about the Diamondback. They had not seen one before and really liked it! Gave them a Diamondback demo!

It's the best aftermarket product we have installed on our Tundra, so far. We camp all over the US and Diamondback works "great" camping when something is needed out of the front of Tundra's bed.

We plan to add racks for Kayaks & bicycles next! Will post photos!!!!!

Dilsky and Part_time like this.
  24. Jun 1, 2019 at 8:19 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My neighbor bought a D.B. for his Tacoma after seeing mine. My cousin bought one for his RAM after seeing mine. I told him the cover is worth more than the truck!

25. Jun 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    Mike19

Mike19 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Chi town
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM 4X4 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Bilsteins 6112/5100, CB Shims 2/1, CB +3 Shackles, Air Ride, RCI Engine and Trans Skid Plates, Cooper AT3 XLT 275/65/20
    Does anyone know if the locks can be changed to use the BOLT locks?

26. Jun 2, 2019 at 6:08 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Maybe Mike @mgm16trdpro can answer this question for you?

27. Jun 3, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    DZ_

DZ_ New Member

Member:
    Frederick Co., MD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD Praux
    Any thoughts on kayak carrying? I have a Wilderness Tarpon 120 and 100 at 30" and 30.5 wide, respectively. Not sure about the width between the uprights on the racks?
    Anyone have the racks? They dont seem to be very well developed as far as design goes.

28. Jun 4, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    Dilsky

Dilsky Toyota Brand *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Tundra Crewmax Black
    King Front Coil-overs Coachbuilder shims Toytec Rear shackles - Stock Rear Baja Designs Sport Fog Lights Rough Country 30" Lightbar 18" Method Roost Wheels (Bronze) 285/70/R18 Nitto Exo Grapplers Diamondback HD Cover
    Yea I was under impressed with their rack design, I am currently building my own.

29. Jun 4, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    We have a US Paddlers Rack we used on the Tundra before installing a Diamondback cover. Our Tacoma has Thule racks we currently use for 9.5' Kayaks.

Thinking about adapting the US Paddlers Rack to the Diamondback. We also tow a travel trailer and cannot have much Kayak overhang over the tailgate.

Just a thought for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    equin likes this.
  30. Jun 4, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    DZ_

DZ_ New Member

Member:
    Frederick Co., MD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD Praux
    Well... make two! The idea that you can't access your bed with something on the racks is just.... wrong.

Maybe something like the KB Voodoo product, but slightly more asthetic?

To Top