1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Mar 7, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    undermyvoodoo82

undermyvoodoo82 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 Crewmax Limited TRD
    @mgm16trdpro How do you like the bedslide with the Diamondback HD?

2. Mar 7, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Love the combo. I was finding I wasn't really using the front portion of the bed with the cover since u got to reach over the bedsides to access stuff. With my setup I can access everything front to rear. Plus with the bed bin storage it keeps all my gear nice and neat, all very accessible.
    20180619_164057.jpg
    This gives you an idea of how more often than not I have my bed setup. Another nice feature of the db cover and bedslide both give u a ton of tie down options too. I find myself never really using my cargo sports net/bag or the cargo bar divider. I mean no lie, I probably have about 20 possible tie down possibilities in just the bed alone.

aperezsh, Sas, Dilsky and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mar 7, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    If u want to be picky the only downside is your limited in bed height due to cover and slide. However, I have a trailer when I need to transport very large and heavy stuff. So for me the combo is perfect. It makes getting things out back of bed a piece of cake, keeps everything organized, waterproof and safe from theft. I'll take that tradeoff any day.

aperezsh likes this.
  4. Mar 22, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    codyneedles

codyneedles New Member

Member:
    Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Crewmax
    remote start, diamondback cover, oem led headlights, led fog lights
    So after letting my cover sit for about a week I opened the cab side to see how it was doing with the rain and noticed that water was getting between the main weatherstrip that is on the cover and the bulkhead weatherstrip that they send you. I installed the cover without the bulkhead weatherstrip and it had a big gap so I installed the weatherstrip to ensure that water could not get through. The lid is pretty tight so I dont think that I should make it tighter otherwise I might have to stand on it to open it. Hoping that someone on here can help me out with fixing this issue. Thanks

5. Mar 22, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    I had that issue too. I pulled off the bulkhead seal they gave. Cleaned the bulkhead and then applied a bead of polyurethane adhesive and then layed down a strip of neoprene tape. It’s like 1 inch wide and a few mils thick - got it on Amazon. Solved the problem of the seal and is low profile so the panel closes. I can take some pics but it is pouring rain.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  6. Mar 22, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    And, 1 week isn’t enough. That seal on those panels is industrial bro. For the better, it is over engineered and will last forever, but you need to give it more time to train itself down and settle. Trust the product. Trust the dudes on the forum. @mgm16trdpro @equin . You will love the cover.

equin and mgm16trdpro like this.
  7. Mar 23, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    I took off that spare bulkhead strip as well. My cab panel was too hard to close because of it. Plus, I find complete removal and reinstall of the whole thing easier without it.

I may have gone overboard by then tightening down the cab panel too much, requiring me to stand or lay on the panel in order to close and lock it. But for me, that’s a minor issue and doesn’t detract at all from my love for it. It never leaks in water from the cab panel, even when I run it through a high pressure wash. The tailgate is the only thing that let’s in a little bit of water during a high pressure wash.

My guess is that there’s a sweet spot of tightness for the cab panel to both close with little effort and also maintain a good enough seal to prevent leaks. And whatever sweet spot that may be is probably going to be different for each truck. I just haven’t experimented with mine yet, mainly because it’s not as big an issue for me.

8. Mar 26, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    WZ KTM

WZ KTM New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DC TRD Off-road
    Received this in the mail yesterday, anyone else? I have the SE model and you wouldn’t think that front panel would go anywhere with the safety bar in place.
    3847ACEE-EAA8-4710-9424-9F7B7D3B8640.jpg

9. Mar 26, 2019 at 5:32 AM
    undermyvoodoo82

undermyvoodoo82 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 Crewmax Limited TRD
    @WZ KTM I just installed my HD this weekend and they were preinstalled on the cab side. Probably more of a CYA then anything, I'm sure somebody somewhere wanted to drive fast with the cab side open and then complained because it broke or damaged something else.

10. Mar 26, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    WZ KTM

WZ KTM New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DC TRD Off-road
    Exactly, common sense is hard.

11. Mar 26, 2019 at 6:01 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah I got mine in mail too. Just haven't felt need to do anything with it since I drive with my front panel closed and locked at all times.

12. Mar 26, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    I got those in the mail also. If I read their explanation correctly, there’s a chance of the cab opening if the locking mechanism is not turned to the closed position. I guess even with the safety bar intact it might still open up with the force of the wind at very high speed. I always keep mine closed and locked anyway, but I’ll install the new cables just to be on the safe side.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  13. Mar 26, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Same here. Don’t see the urgency but will do it.

equin[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 4, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I installed mine - - mainly because I wanted them off my work bench. Took like 10 minutes. The black catch bracket is cut differently and more difficult to disengage to open the cab panel. I may take that off and put the old one back on. The cables are out of the way and cause no difference in functionality.

equin[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 13, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    Bones2012

Bones2012 2012 CM

Member:
    Windy City
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Crewmax
    Step Tubes BakFlip VP Dee Zee Bed and Tail gate mats Pop A Lock tailgate lock Smitty Built M1 Rear Bumper Weather Tech mats Interior LEDS Remote control Bed Lights Cabelas seat covers
    What is that silver box on top for?

16. Apr 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    Bones2012

Bones2012 2012 CM

Member:
    Windy City
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Crewmax
    Step Tubes BakFlip VP Dee Zee Bed and Tail gate mats Pop A Lock tailgate lock Smitty Built M1 Rear Bumper Weather Tech mats Interior LEDS Remote control Bed Lights Cabelas seat covers
    I have been trying to figure out if the clamps will work with Unistrut. Is it still holding up and was the fit complicated?

17. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:08 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
  18. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Hey bud. So when u load your quad on top, if u have gigantic tires on it like mine, the tires will rest between the side rails. So when u put your ramps on the rails to get your quad up there, the pressure is too tight between the tires and the ramps, essentially kinda locking your ramps in there in place and not being able to remove them once loaded with your quad on top. With these they raise the tires up a bit taking that pressure off and allowing you to load your quad up there with their ramps and still be able to remove the ramps when done to throw in the back of your bed. Hopefully this explains it good enough for you to understand. It's kinda hard to explain. Let me know if u need any further answers or if that didnt explain it well. I'll try better if not.

Bones2012[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Call me crazy but I'm guessing someone might be getting themselves one of these covers too. Do it, u will love it.

Bones2012[QUOTED] and NoMoTaco like this.
  20. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Easy now, let's be careful not to exceed that weight limit lol. Good to hear from ya man.

Bones2012 likes this.
  21. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC TRD OR Silver
    #tassels

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  22. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    For those of you who bought one and had it shipped to Canada - how long did it take for the cover to get to you after being purchased? Right now they're saying it would ship in 16-19 days, just wondering how long after that it would take to get to my place/shipping centre. I work 2 week on 1 week off shifts so would rather not have it show up the day I fly out lol

Dilsky likes this.
  23. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Funny you mention the tassels. My daughter today asked me if they made the bike faster. I said “hell yeah!”

NoMoTaco[QUOTED] and mgm16trdpro like this.
  24. Apr 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    The ass was sagging. Need air bags!

NoMoTaco and mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah u do lol. That or lighten your load next time lol. Funny u mention the tassels making bike go faster. My son is same way with fire paintjob and bunch of other things. Kids are a trip.

Bones2012 likes this.
  26. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Bones2012

Bones2012 2012 CM

Member:
    Windy City
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Crewmax
    In the future, very near future. Maybe ordering Monday or Tuesday.

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Nice, good luck with it. I'm guessing pretty much like everyone here with one, u will love it too.

I could tell seeing all the reading up and asking questions u were doing today. I'm like he's gonna be buying 1 real soon lol.

Bones2012[QUOTED] and NoMoTaco like this.
  28. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    You’ll love it.

Bones2012[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:28 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I got half the new bolts installed tonight then I got side tracked with some family stuff. The new bolts definitely seem nicer. Hopefully finish tomorrow.

30. Apr 13, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC TRD OR Silver
    Just do it!!

Bones2012 and mgm16trdpro like this.
To Top