1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jeffw6236, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dec 23, 2018 at 4:15 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Mine came with black. Not sure when they made that change.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  2. Dec 23, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    On the underside? I just got mine less than a month ago, and although I got the black Line-X on the outside, the underside is bare aluminum.

3. Dec 23, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I think he meant hinges, there's a replacement program going on. My hinges had a bit of corrosion and DB sent me new black hinges, bolts for my cleats and a $50 Visa, great company!

GoCboys, hma153, mgm16trdpro and 2 others like this.
  4. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Ah, gotcha. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying. And yeah, top notch customer service!

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  5. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Oh ok, that explains it, tnx for clarification, I thought I saw your hinges in black, they look great. Guess it doesn't always pay to be early or first to the party or in the game. I got the hinges in chrome before the change and guess I got a little more work to do with both hinges and bolts. I agree with ya, more of a nice weather thang, since the ones in there now ain't hurting anything, I'll hold off to spring or fall, when I can sit out there and be comfortable at my own leisure get it done.

Borgs[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Yep, hinges.

equin[QUOTED] and mgm16trdpro like this.
  7. Dec 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax Barcelona Red
    TRD Pro Exhaust, TRD Skidplate, TRD Faux-Pro wheels, Ridge Grapplers
    I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on one of these.... Love what I read about the customer support.

Can you drive with the rear open and locked in a way that it wouldn't stress the gas strut?

Reason I ask is sometimes I like to haul bikes via the "hang over tailgate" method, and it would be great to be able to do that with the cover and not worry about it coming down on the bikes or wearing out the strut.

8. Dec 24, 2018 at 12:14 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    No. You’d simply disconnect the strut and remove the panel, or flip the panel totally open 180 degrees and strap it secure to the center and cab panel.

Dilsky, JoshuaA and equin like this.
  9. Dec 24, 2018 at 6:45 AM
    Part_time

Part_time Not a new member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Anyone got pics of the DB 270?

10. Dec 24, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    +1, I flip the panel on a moving blanket and strap it down. It's the only thing about these DB's, to get it full open, we have to remove the center piece which is basically uninstalling it and not practical

cantle likes this.
  11. Dec 24, 2018 at 5:08 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Can anyone do me a favor and measure the "usable" top area of the front/rear panels for a crewmax? IE the area that things could be mounted on top without interfering with pivots?

Thanks in advance!

12. Dec 24, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Happy helping a brother but I have no clue what you are asking. Surface area of top of panel? It would be helpful if you provide context - what are you trying to mount? Pretty much you can probably do what you want if you don’t mind drilling into that beautiful cover.

13. Dec 24, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ah yes, sorry was in a rush and re-read my post and laughed out loud. I am looking for the top surface area of each panel (front and rear, and I assume symmetric). No problems drilling for me, but I just want to make sure my master plan works before dropping the coin.

thanks man!

14. Dec 24, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    A picture is worth a thousand words right? .... Excuse the shitty work, done on iPhone ;)

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 5.51.50 PM.jpg

15. Dec 24, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    No worries brotein shake. I can measure tomorrow. The DB website is pretty good / they may already have the specs on the website.

16. Dec 24, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    They got some general dimensions, but not sure if those are "top surface" area or the entire panel.

Thanks boss.

17. Dec 25, 2018 at 12:17 AM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    And not to completely blow up this thread.... but is there a reason why I see so many traditional style ones and almost no 180s? Perhaps the 180 is newer, but it seems like that would be a little bit more natural way to access gear (from the sides) rather than from the front opening between the cab.

Seems like I only see them on work trucks?

18. Dec 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    A and C are 7 1/2 inches
    B is 12 inches
    Y is 29 inches
    X is 65 inches

JoshuaA and mgm16trdpro like this.
  19. Dec 26, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    What a good guy. As much as I'd like to have helped I got sick as a dog for week before xmas. Feeling pretty shitty right now still. Hopefully I can kick this thing soon, think today is like 10th day. Dr appt Fri so I gotta survive til then

cantle likes this.
  20. Dec 28, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Dude you're the man! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was too deep in the weeds thinking about my idea.... I owe you a beer.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  21. Dec 28, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Anyone who has one of these, did you get the HD and wish you had gotten the SE or vise-versa? Kinda torn between the two options, seems like more capacity is better, but not sure I would ever really use it to those limits.

Bones2012 likes this.
  22. Dec 28, 2018 at 6:45 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    I guess it all depends on your own needs and what use you want out of it. I’ve seen the photos and videos of hauling ATVs on top of the HDs. I don’t have an ATV, but if I had one I’d prefer to haul it in my trailer. I guess if you find it inconvenient to remove entirely when wanting to haul heavy stuff, then it might be worth it to keep it on and ensure it has the capacity to handle the weight.

I went with the SE, though. When I ordered it, I did so never intending to haul anything heavy on top of it. Instead, I got it more to secure contents in the bed and keep them relatively dry. I figured I’d remove one or all of the panels when I need to haul something heavy. I’ve already removed it and re-installed it once to haul something big that needed to fit inside the bed and don’t mind doing that. But I can see how others might not want to do that. Although it would be nice to have the added weight feature, I think I made the right choice. With the money saved, I intend to get one of their crossbins, which I think would serve a more useful purpose for my own needs. Of course, other folks have different needs where the HD would serve them better. In short, the SE serves my needs as intended - secure contents in bed and keep them dry.

23. Dec 29, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Looking forward to your idea. I like beer!

24. Dec 29, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I have HD. If you have the coin on hand, seems to me you would be better off with the increased payload of the HD. If money is a little tight, still can’t go wrong with SE. I will say I have strapped much more to the cover than I thought I would. The added payload is nice.

ToyoD, JoshuaA and equin like this.
  25. Dec 29, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    All about personal preference and plans for it. Me I put my quad up there occasionally. True I use my trailer much more often, but I got it if I need it and just want to throw up a single quad quick and go. So for me Se was never an option. If you ever plan or could see yourself getting a RTT the HD would be a better choice too.

If you never see yourself putting, quads, tent, or ever strapping anything really heavy the SE is a great option and can save some money by going with it.

The part I do understand is not everyone has the needs or money for the HD. The part I dont understand, why would anyone get any other cover outside of DB other than the SE version. The prices are similar or least close enough. Why would you sacrifice the security, the weather tight capability, and even the SE payload is nice to go with an inferior cover to maybe save a few bucks? Just don't make sense to me. I'm surprised I don't see so many more of these on trucks. Again not saying the HD is for everyone, but I'm surprised more people dont at least get the SE instead of the other non DB covers on trucks. Luckily I'm perfectly fine with that because I like being different and having things that set my truck apart. Imo anyone who pays anywhere near a grand for a cover outside of the DB SE you're nuts. I'll give those with a cap a pass bc the added height is a bonus.

26. Dec 30, 2018 at 5:28 AM
    mgxsequioa

mgxsequioa New Member

Member:
    I have the SE with the smaller cross-bin and am very happy...I'd also be happy with the HD but couldn't justify the cost as I don't see myself putting anything heavy up there.

equin likes this.
  27. Jan 3, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    Dilsky

Dilsky Toyota Brand *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Tundra Crewmax Black
    King Front Coil-overs Coachbuilder shims Toytec Rear shackles - Stock Rear Baja Designs Sport Fog Lights Rough Country 30" Lightbar 18" Method Roost Wheels (Bronze) 285/70/R18 Nitto Exo Grapplers Diamondback HD Cover
    Outlet HD cover, was in the outlet section for something to do with the corners not being perfect...I couldn't tell in the pictures, and can't really notice anything in person, but i will take it!

20190103_102847.jpg 20190103_102819.jpg

Bones2012, aperezsh, Luckydog and 3 others like this.
  28. Jan 7, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I was going to wait until spring but it was warmish yesterday so I backed partway into the garage and installed the black hinge upgrade and the black cleat bolts that DB sent me (was stainless before):

B90B32EB-8C27-48FB-940D-E38016B29654.jpg

3510A20D-907D-4B37-B5C5-554D6769C9A5.jpg

29. Jan 7, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    How hard and long did it take. I'm guessing neither? I need to do same and have been putting off. So many things waiting for me to do lol

30. Jan 7, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    I've had my HD for almost 5 years now. I've never once thought that I should have gone with any other option. It does come down to your intended usage, but there's a rule that also applies here: If you plan for your current needs--that's all it'll ever be good for. I did buy mine with the intention of hauling my quad, but I've used it for sooo much more (lumber, furniture, 800lbs of soil amendment, new heavy-ass tool chest, random metal scrap, etc) that it's not even funny. More than once I've needed a forklift to load--then had to get very creative to unload at home! Bottom line, it's nice knowing that my cover is actually rated higher than my truck, so I never have to think about whether or not I can chuck something up there and throw a strap on it.

aperezsh, equin and mgm16trdpro like this.
To Top