1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DEBT FREE!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Deuxlatch, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Jul 24, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    aggie_tundra

aggie_tundra Always Tired

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 2500 Custom
    I may be the minority on here and TW, but truck mods can wait. There’s more important things if money is tight

JC303, T-Rex266, Tundra9831 and 7 others like this.
  2. Jul 24, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Congratulations on this achievement.

Since it hasn’t been mentioned yet, now you should protect it. Having no monthly bills and all those assets can make you vulnerable in some bad situations.

Things like:

- Very high medical bills. Sometimes it takes a bit for insurance to kick in or maybe you hit policy limits. Trust me, placing a lien on someone’s property is very easy and often done.

- Auto accident. I speak from experience on this one. We were within 10000.00 of having enough equity in our last home, that we might be in danger of a forced sale to pay restitution. This is a long story, but I will brush on this later.

Have you ever considered placing your home in a Trust Fund? Three of my neighbors homes are in trust funds and that’s exactly what I will do with our final home.

Currently I have assets in two separate trust funds, for protection of these assets. As said earlier, during a 4 year battle on a criminal suit (we easily won) and a couple years later, a civil suit. (We won, but wasn’t as easy, or cheap). This was the first thing my wife asked her lawyer about (she married into the trust) and was told they couldn’t touch it (I already told her).

By all means, I’m not saying don’t pay the bills that are due, but I also think it’s wrong to strip someone of everything because medical in America is a tad high. I’ve seen it happen faster that one might think.

Just wanna toss that out there. If you do a family trust, make sure the firm doing the trust knows what they’re doing. Cost is around 1500-1800.00 depending on trust. Make sure you get a Tax ID # and don’t use your personal social security number.

JH5370, T-Rex266, aperezsh and 6 others like this.
  3. Jul 25, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    backinblack

backinblack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Yep. Each of those 3 has squandered at least 1 semester. I did cut off the school money after that. If they want me to help pay for school, they have to pay for a semester on their own and show me they want to be there.

4. Jul 25, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch [OP] AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Tomball, Tx./Lafayette, La.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra CM
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    Yup, the rich stay rich for a reason. They know how to use the tax system. I have a home based business myself and it helps tremendously on my taxes.

aperezsh likes this.
  5. Jul 25, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch [OP] AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    Great advice, and yes I agree. My mom is an accountant and deals with trusts quite a bit with her clients.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 25, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

Sounds like a good start.

7. Jul 25, 2019 at 5:41 AM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Crew Max SR5 Tundra
    Husky Floor Mats, Diamond back lid, Coverking seat covers, More gas.
    @ColoradoTJ.... That is step 2..... I have an LLC with a trust. It is sad that debt is one of the best shelters for asset protection. A large umbrella policy is also a good investment.

aperezsh and ColoradoTJ like this.
  8. Jul 25, 2019 at 5:51 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    Just have the house and 1.5 years on the tundra left. Paid off 30k in credit card debt last October it felt amazing. Working towards the rest now

JH5370, T-Rex266, AZTundra and 4 others like this.
  9. Jul 25, 2019 at 6:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    As long as it’s affordable debt. Lol.

Paying off your house in certain areas is just highly unlikely. Even 50% equity one should be strutting like a rooster (almost there)!!

This is the areas I live in....

8467B6E6-636A-4955-BC98-74EED449FBA8.jpg
    And the area next to me.

F925A5AF-21CF-4502-8BF0-B264D74E9E19.jpg

And the prices just keep going up significantly every year. By next year, I will not be able to afford living out here. One mile north of me there’s a 200 acre golf coarse and acreage custom home plots that will really take this area to the unaffordable category.

Keeping credit cards to zero and using like cash with the best cash back (we get 1.5% on every purchase) is key. No vehicle debt is another way to stay off credit Santa naughty list. Keeping Holiday season under check. Some people spend so much in Nov-Dec. every year, it takes the rest of the year to pay off.

T-Rex266 and aperezsh like this.
  10. Jul 25, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Living the dream debt free is awesome, but there will always be bills to pay (expected & unexpected) so having a couple of rainy day savings accounts here & there is also awesome.

11. Jul 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    offsetplayer2

offsetplayer2 New Member

Member:
    Woods and Fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno CM 4WD
    Medical bills are a huge issue these days that a lot of people don't realize. I know it was mentioned here a few times, but I mean the other who aren't on this forum. It doesn't take much to land in the ER or just a general easy in and out procedure, such my my carpel tunnel release, to rack up close to 7-10k in bills AFTER insurance over the 2 year course of doctor visits and procedures. We got slammed with bills last year from my wife going in, then me. Throw that on top of regular credit card use and you have a recipe for disaster. We're slowly chipping away and hopefully we'll stop the living paycheck to paycheck issue.

12. Jul 25, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Crewmax 4x4 TSS Edition
    I am working on doing the same. Part of it is a discipline thing. I have to resist buying new toys and more expensive things than I need (no "dream houses"). Of course, paying $43k for my 2016 Toyota Tundra (paid for now) is one of those things I probably should not have done in hindsight (the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased), and the same goes to the two motorcycles I have purchased (paid for but not smart to spend that kind of money). I now need to keep my truck for at least 10 years and drive my miles out of it and stop buying toys. Congrats on your debt freedom and thanks for inspiring others to do the same.

13. Jul 25, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That is VERY smart to downsize. Too many folks want to live in their own version of there "dream house" or mini-mansion and spend way too much of their lives paying for it. A house is most folks largest expenditure and it is the best bang for the buck to make a huge change.

14. Jul 25, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Very inspiring. I especially like how you downsized to a really small house. I have been daydreaming about doing something like that as well. I also like the idea of being somewhat of a "minimalist". The big problem with people is we want too many things which turns your life into a rat race and costs a lot of money for no good reason. I saw a documentary on minimalism and liked a lot about it, but of course one can do a less extreme version of it and the same with the tiny house. I don't want a tiny house on a trailer, but one may 700-800 square feet out away from large cities appeals to me. I have an extra incentive here in TX to have a small house because our property taxes are crazy high, so the less house the less you pay in property taxes.

15. Jul 25, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    aggie_tundra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 2500 Custom
    This is my problem. I like expensive toys and trucks :bananadead:

Capt J-Rod likes this.
  16. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It depends on what state you live in as to whether you get any liability protection from your own trust that you create for your own assets (self-settled trust). In Texas it does not work in general. You only get trust protection from a trust that was gifted to you by someone else or one where you gift your assets away to someone else--not one you create yourself with your own assets where you are the beneficiary of the trust. Fortunately we have strong statutory protections here in TX for homesteads, IRAs, 401ks, etc. that cannot be touched by creditors or lawsuits. By the way, I am an attorney so I do know something about this area.

1UPPER, Navi and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Great information.

One more reason never to move to Texas...check.

18. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    aggie_tundra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 2500 Custom
    What were the others? :rofl:

19. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Africa hot

No public land

Did I mention hot?

Hurricane risk, because if I’m going to burn, I’m going to be on a beach. Houston, San Antonio areas sound really nice.

Taxes.

20. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:45 AM
    Erichudgins

Erichudgins New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super white Limited DC
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/the-un-limited-build.25949/
    Same

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4

Off topic, but this reminds me of a class I took in undergrad. It was a "decision-making" class that was full of graduating seniors who took the class just to fulfill graduation requirements. Anyway, the course was at Colorado School of Mines, and near the end of the class, we all were supposed to present a big decision to the class that we were going to soon be making, then we would go through a pros/cons routine for each option for the presenter.

One of the kids was a guy from Texas and his decision was whether to take a job back home in Texas, or take one in Colorado. So, the pros/cons of each option were discussed. First up was Texas. The pros were mostly given by the guy from Texas:

pros: Weather, people are friendly, food, jobs, and I think someone said housing, etc., etc.,
    cons: Hot as balls, flat, no good mountains, etc, etc, etc.

then we moved on to Colorado:

pros: weather, mountains, skiing, you are upstream from everybody, etc

when we moved on to the cons, one kid raised his hand and gave the first con: "Too many Texans".

That was funny.

Anyway, carry on.

JC303, T-Rex266, Trooper2 and 2 others like this.
  22. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I wasn’t going there, but truth.

Texans move to CO, put Texas everything all over their house and tell everyone how great it is.

My response is “move back then.”

23. Jul 25, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Back on topic, make sure you invest in the correct lawyer/firm. My parents went the wrong route when transferring the one trust. It was bad. Incomplete sentence, misspelled words/names. Total shit show.

I had the firm that did my family trust redo the trust being transferred to me.

Just an FYI.

T-Rex266 and aperezsh like this.
  24. Jul 25, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch [OP] AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Vehicle:
    We say the same about Californians ;)

25. Jul 25, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I like this idea as well. Look how many people can't even park their expensive vehicles in their garage. When you see it open it's completely full of useless garbage. Most of it could be thrown away and they would never miss it. My wife and I have been purging stuff from our house in preparation to downsize. We're hoping to go from 2000 sq ft to 1000.

Yep. I've visited Texas close to 10 times and each time I hate it more. I really thought I would like it as their "values" and outlook on things seem to line up with me. But my god, as an actual place to live, NO WAY! It's ugly, flat, and horribly hot. It's also extremely crowded and the property taxes are something you would see in CA or IL. TN beats Texas in every category except job prospects(for me). I think it might be the most over-hyped state in the union. It's just not as great as Texans pretend it is. And they are getting flooded from people from CA. :rofl:

x3. When I lived in FL we said the same thing to all the New Yorkers that moved there.

26. Jul 25, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Still the nicest random people I have ever been around. A Texan will come over, being a beer for you, chat it up, and offer you a steak from his grill. That has happened multiple times to me.

I lived in TN before. That state is in the top 5 to retire in.

2manytoys, aperezsh and FirstGenVol like this.
  27. Jul 25, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    That's true. To be fair, most of my experience has been in/around DFW which is like hell to me. I didn't find people to be very friendly. I'm sure I'd have a better opinion of Texas if I got outside the metroplex. I'd like to visit hill country.

Patch999, 2manytoys, aperezsh and 2 others like this.
  28. Jul 25, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch [OP] AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the metro areas of Texas leave much to be desired, as with most big cities. Definitely visit the hill country or some of the more rural areas an you will fall in love.

29. Jul 25, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    A fellow Ramsey fan!!
    Congrats!!

Just paid off my truck a month ago, not rolling over on one or two more CC’s and finally my wife’s student loans! Should be completely debt free in 5 years (ish)

30. Jul 26, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    Snowboard Tundra

Snowboard Tundra New Member

Member:
    Just my thoughts.

Many people think you have to save your way to success, or cut back and cut back more. I once had a conversation with a "financial consultant" who was in a room giving advice to people. He was like, if your expenses are $1500 to $3000 a month you are in a world of shit, you have to make drastic changes.

I'm like, maybe so, but what if my income is $10,000 to $15,000 a month? Is it that big of a deal?

Not saying one should NOT minimize BS debt and dumb expenses but there are ways to get out there are GET AFTER it and EARN your way to success instead of skrimping and cutting back and being frugal. People tend to believe they are boxed it and that isn't the case, it's about seeking those opportunities, taking risks and not being a dumbass.

Good luck to everyone. All debt isn't bad debt.

Capt J-Rod, aperezsh and ColoradoTJ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top