1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer oil change

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Pudge, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Mar 16, 2018 at 7:03 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Got a call from the dealer that I got my truck from today offering a $15 oil and filter change and fluid top off. I asked what the catch was and of course she said no catch. That price is dino oil, I asked about synthetic and surprisingly she said $20. I have been so busy and is so cold I deciding to make an appointment for next week. I'm at about 6.5k miles once last change. I'll see if they will rotate tires while it's on the lift too. I never do dealer service but this was too good of a deal to pass up. Ill be sure to inspect after it's done and inquire about prices on diff and transfer case oil change. Wish me and my truck good luck

2. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    So they are about done doing oil. ..tbey found a leak. I'm gonna go look. I assume cam tower. Ugh just what I need. They want $80 to add dye to help diagnose it. Shouldn't they know about this?

3. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:32 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
  4. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    NewImprovedRon likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    IndyTundra

IndyTundra Did someone say beer?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red SR5 CM TRD
    Toytec, 34" Ridge Grapplers, MBRP Exhaust, Linex'd TRD Pro grill
    If you're still under factory or powertrain warranty, I don't feel it should cost you anything to have them diagnose the leak. And yes, they should know that the cam towers on these trucks are prone to leak.

6. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Wait, are you still under factory powertrain warranty?

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Oh I sure am. I just turned 30k. And I have the platinum warranty on top of it.

8. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    That’s the exact warranty I have. They must be trying to charge you for the dye because if it ends up not being a cam tower leak, they get to keep the money for the test. If it is I would say they would have to reimburse you for the $80. I wonder if it would be different if you brought the truck in concerned that there is a leak. Instead of them noticing it for you.

9. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Show them that Platinum Card!

10. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to bring it home and check it all out. I'll find and clean the area and go from there.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  11. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. I'm sure it'll be much different when I find the leak and schedule service for that. I'll check the posts here about the cam tower leak so I'm informed

15whtrd likes this.
  12. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Should I add the dye and bring it back in a couple week?

13. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Driver side.
    I don't see any leaking here

20180321_113109.jpg

14. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Passenger side.
    Also no obvious leaks.

20180321_113044.jpg

15. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    The tech noted it looked like it was coming somewhere in the middle of the engine. Dripping onto exhaust. I've never smelled oil burning, except today of course after I drove it off the lot, but whatever was on tgere burned off. Probably from the oil change today.

16. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    It is easy to pour oil too fast and cause it to spill a little. It will immediately run down the side of the valve cover down onto the exhaust. I know from personal experience LOL

17. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:

i wrote a little article on how I do it.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/diy-leaks-detection.18151/

18. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:57 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TheBeast[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    it works great. Toyota uses the same dye. I used it to monitor my cam tower repairs after it was done.

Pudge[OP] and 15whtrd like this.
  20. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm thinking the same thing. They said they'd rotate my tires too.....for $20. I said no, but I'll pay 10. The " manger" approved that lol.
    My truck was not low on oil. I check it regularly. I'm sure they lost money on an 8 qt synth oil/filter change for $19.95. It took over an hour.
    They just wanna get people in the door.

21. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    When she said there was a leak and they wanted to add dye and blah blah...i asked if she would ask the tech if it was the common cam tower leak and if so I wanted to get it fixed under warranty. After a quick (15 minute) huddle it was decided I didn't need the dye and could just monitor it myself. Maybe they realized I'm not just some dummy? There were several people agreeing to get extra work done. One lady was told her brake pads were low, so she agreed to have them replaced... That's all good but they also said she needed rotars turned, I doubt she did if pads were just low. Too bad what they do to people. I actually like this dealer, well I did like them.

22. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    @Pudge, why are you getting your truck serviced? The only time you should be using your truck is when you go to the USPS store to ship syrup.

Back to work.

23. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Haha this is true. I do plan to spend some serious time next Wednesday down at USPS. ........

24. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yes sir.

Pudge[OP] and NewImprovedRon like this.
  25. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yep! I try to always use the same service advisor whenever I bring any of my three Toyotas in. Obviously it is usually my last resort. But the guy knows me, he knows how I am and he has stopped trying to sell me anything unnecessary. We usually end up talking about plans for his first GEN tundra that he bought a supercharger for LOL. They do mention brake pads and stuff like that but he knows I do all that myself. Just the typical, shows me the paper that the tech filled out with suggestions of the work he wanted to do, or felt that need to be done. But the advisor doesn’t even try to sell me on any of them. Sign here, see you later!

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  26. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    Redbeard321

Redbeard321 ballin' on a budget

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    That's a damn good deal. I just had mine done yesterday, they said it was $56 for an oil change which is typical in my area for full synthetic but then by some mysterious force it turned into $80 when I paid the bill because of labor and disposal blah blah fucking blah.

15whtrd and Black Wolf like this.
  27. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I hate all those fees they tack on. I normally wouldn't do a dealer change, but this was a smoking deal so I went for it.

28. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    Redbeard321

Redbeard321 ballin' on a budget

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    I'm only doing it for warranty purposes, couple more and I won't be using the dealer.

15whtrd and Pudge[QUOTED][OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top