1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dead battery? Alternator?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Not_a_toy_yoda, May 1, 2022.

1. May 1, 2022 at 11:23 PM
    Not_a_toy_yoda

Not_a_toy_yoda [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4x4 double cab
    Hi all!
    First post.

I recently installed a Midland 275 radio. I clipped the cigarette lighter attachment and wired it straight to the battery. Not too long after that I noticed my truck wouldn’t start up the same way and it would take more effort to crank it.maybe a week or so after the install.

i took it to the dealership for tire rotation and an oil change and they swapped out the battery for me when I brought it up, since it was under warranty.

Was heading out on a camping trip this weekend and the truck wouldn’t start. Jumped it with my wife’s car and it started and I went off and drove about 3 hours to our destination. Upon arriving to the camp site I parked the truck and turned it off. Got out and realized I wanted to move it up a bit further. Tried to start the truck, and it was dead. Couldn’t roll down the windows or lock the truck or anything.

I have a few questions.

1. The radio has an on/off switch on the handheld. If it’s off and wired straight to the battery would it still have a draw?

2. Would the 24f battery that was the replacement, be an issue as opposed to the 27f that I originally had. I didn’t notice it was a different battery until now.

3. If the truck started and I drove for 3 hours, is it possible at all that I have a bad alternator or would that be ruled out?

4. Normally when I have the truck idling I’m usually at around 14.4 and when the truck is off I’m around 12.7 volts. Now when the truck is idling it ranges anywhere from 12-14 and when it’s off it ranges from 9-12. Is this the sign of a bad battery or bad alternator or both?

5. Could the fact that the dealership gave me a 24f battery instead of a 27f have caused the alternator to go bad?

Thanks in advance.

2. May 1, 2022 at 11:28 PM
    Not_a_toy_yoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Here’s my rig.

05139DAC-0E98-4669-89A2-102C420E36AC.jpg

3. May 2, 2022 at 12:45 AM
    Blue By U

Blue By U New Member

Member:
    Big question, why the dealer. They are not your friend, you're just a wheel in their cog. They have no control of what happens in the engine bays.

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  4. May 2, 2022 at 3:24 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    I'm guessing because it's under warranty and he got a free replacement.

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. May 2, 2022 at 3:56 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Sounds like all the trouble started with the radio install. Retrace your steps there. Make sure no fuses were blown during the clipping of the wires. Believe there’s a fuse/relay under the hood that affects battery charging / voltage. Maybe someone else will chime in with the specifics.

6. May 2, 2022 at 3:58 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I don’t think the battery being a group 24 is the issue. The difference is mostly physical size, CCA and AH. They just used a cheaper battery to not have to spend as much on your warranty claim. I also don’t think it would damage your alternator. I have a dual battery kit that uses group 25 batteries and haven’t had any issues.

The issue is your idle charging. If it’s 12-14, that a big issue. Your battery isn’t getting charged. Need to get the alternator tested.

7. May 2, 2022 at 4:01 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    OP, like he said. Search this site for “alt-s” fuse. There are some threads about it causing charging issues. You can check it in the fuse box under your hood. The location is marked on the lid of the fuse box.

Not_a_toy_yoda[OP] likes this.
  8. May 2, 2022 at 7:27 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    You need a digital multimeter. Start the truck at idle and measure the voltage across the battery post. This is the fastest way to see how well your alternator is working.

What is the radio? Brand? Model? Need to see how much of a load it is drawing. It might be sucking you dry as soon as the truck is truned off. Could be smart to wire it into a power source that comes on with the key instead of having it connected to the battery 24/7

9. May 2, 2022 at 8:42 AM
    Not_a_toy_yoda

Member:
    Vehicle:

I have since rewired it into a switch panel I have. So I have to manually turn it on from there and it is hooked up to ACC power. It’s a midland 275.

10. May 3, 2022 at 2:06 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
  11. May 3, 2022 at 2:41 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    This is going to sound stupid but check the terminal connectors for corrosion. Your alternator is working ok if you’re seeing more 12V when the engine is on (and it seems ridiculous that a 2018 Toyota has an alternator issue). I’ve experienced a similar problem on my 80 series LC… stalled at a stop and wouldn’t crank, wiggling the terminal connector on the post removed enough corrosion to get good connection and crank the engine.

MT Madman and DoublePro like this.
  12. May 7, 2022 at 1:42 AM
    Not_a_toy_yoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update: sometimes it’s best to start with the basics. The culprit was a loose connection to the battery terminal. Tightened her up and it’s all good. Dealership swapped the battery back to a 27f as well. I did swap out the post to the terminal with some zinc posts I found at autozone wishing also give me 2 additional spots to hook up accessory wires instead of 1 from the OEM posts.
    Rewired the radio to my auxbeam 8 gang switch and now turn it off and on from there.
    Has been solid since.

Needless to say, sometimes it’s the basics. Shouldn’t ever overlook and jump to conclusions I guess. Glad it wasn’t the alternator.

KNABORES likes this.
  13. May 7, 2022 at 1:43 AM
    Not_a_toy_yoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not stupid at all.
    Check my last post.

Products Discussed in

To Top