1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DAP tune?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by yoneytan, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dec 27, 2018 at 3:55 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    So this is not usable on the 18’s yet?

2. Dec 27, 2018 at 4:56 AM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Not yet available for 18. Toyota hasnt released ECU data

3. Dec 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Received package, emailed file. I can barely wait.....:woot:

4. Dec 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    Xyleff

Xyleff New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    ‘16040CMSR5
    Thanks

5. Dec 28, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    tightywhitey

tightywhitey New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra CREWMAX - Louisiana Edition
    I can’t get my winders 10 virtual box to recognize a USB port on my MacBook.

6. Dec 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Dang holidays....:bored::yawn::pout::playball::notsure:

...And shortly after the tune appears in my Inbox. I'll check it out tomorrow!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. Jan 3, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    tightywhitey

tightywhitey New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome turnaround by DAP...sent the file before lunch. Received a file mid afternoon. Will be installing tomorrow. Got my virtual box on the MacBook working good.

8. Jan 4, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    tightywhitey

tightywhitey New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    I installed Oracle Virtual Box on my MacBook Pro. I created a windows 10 vm in virtual box and installed the software for the tuner. I installed the tune on my truck this morning.
    https://www.virtualbox.org

Rex Kramer likes this.
  9. Jan 5, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    robstruck

robstruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Trd
    Pro comp leveling with 305/65r18 bfg ko2, magnaflow exhaust, tanneu cover, alpine speakers
    Anyone have istall issues? I couldent even get the device to read my truck. It gave me a wake up error, i sent the log files to Dustin but still waiting after a month:frusty:

10. Jan 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    How's your trucks battery? I know that the application stresses being fully charged. Maybe put on a trickle charger or regular charger for a bit, or take it for a drive. Do you have a VOM to check the V?

11. Jan 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    robstruck

robstruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Trd
    Pro comp leveling with 305/65r18 bfg ko2, magnaflow exhaust, tanneu cover, alpine speakers
    Havent had any issues with the battery but i haven't tested it and no VOM, i guess i figured Dustin would have mentioned it. But worth a try, thanks!

12. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    UTTundra

UTTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Utah
    @robstruck I second what @Wynnded suggested. I also got wake up errors when trying to read my ecu and install the tune. I had to go through Dimsport in Italy to get help...I think it was around when Dustin was on his west coast tuning tour, so I'm sure he was really busy. The logs were saying my battery was low. I bought a crappy charger from harbor freight and put it on the battery for about four hours. That seemed to solve part of the issue. I would also get wake up errors when I followed the directions as far as turning the dash off/on during the tuning process. I think I just disregarded the Dimsport every time it told me to turn off/on except for at the very end to clear all the lights on the dash (CEL, etc). I also had to start the writing process with the dash already on in order to avoid the wake up error. After the tune was installed, I still had issues with it not taking care of the secondary air inj. trouble codes I was getting after installing headers. Dustin eventually had to send me a new tune to take care of that. It took about 5 months to get that. Just gotta keep emailing/calling every week or two. Sometimes he's super quick, sometimes it takes awhile to get a response.

Beep88 and Wynnded like this.
  13. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    robstruck

robstruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Trd
    Hey UTTUNDRA, i dont think my file logs said the battery was low, but did you leave the charger connected during the process? And was the tune worth all the troubles?

14. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    Send an email to bullydog requesting the 2018 Tundra programmer. They are prioritizing based on consumer requests.

TRD-tv and TundraLuv[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Maybe also make certain that any and all accessories are off. Heater blower, auto headlamps, interior door/cargo lamp lights, stereo, you're not charging something in a charge port or USB port. Have a look at your battery posts as well. I'm just trying to think of anything that you should be able to be sure of while waiting to hear from Dustin.

16. Jan 5, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I would see no harm in having a charger connected.

17. Jan 5, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    UTTundra

UTTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Utah
    I did leave it on the charger during the process. I was having issues with an aftermarket remote start draining my battery. I've since uninstalled and re-installed the tune without having to have it on the charger.

The tune is noticeable...mostly how it shifts. But I can't rave about it like some users have. I've since done 4.88 gears, AR headers, and full 3" exhaust with x-pipe. I still feel a bit sluggish off the line after going to 295/70/R18 stt pros (just before getting the tune). Guess I need a supercharger or different tires. MPG basically stayed the same, or maybe even went down .5-1 mpg. I've talked to others that feel the same as I do, but it seems the overwhelming majority are really happy with it. That said, I would still do it if I could go back in time.

18. Jan 5, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I really haven't analyzed the differences that I've noticed with the DAP tune, normally aspirated. I haven't driven much, I have my snow tires on right now and am not interested in tearing them to shreds for the sake of immediate feedback. I also think that the differences in engine performance are going to be tricky to discern at an elevation of 8,000ft.

Anyhow, I immediately felt that the throttle tip-in has softened, which is something that I'd acclimated to, but the tuned values are better. I've noticed that in slippery take-off conditions the engine doesn't cut power. Is that what has been deemed "Torque Management"? When getting slightly sideways in snowy turns, I notice that there aren't any dash lights coming on, but I can still hear the ABS working. Calculation of MPG is pointless with the remote starts and short warm-ups while brushing off snow. It seems that on the highway the transmission holds high gear on slight inclines, but it's still hard to tell with all the traffic during the holidays. There are a couple highway sections that I can normally get consistent responses from the truck using cruise control, but with traffic, I have to accommodate others. I can't think of anything else at the moment...

19. Jan 6, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    robstruck

robstruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Trd
    I appreciate all the info guys, i didn't even think about the remote start putting a strain on my battery. I will try the charger and hope that works.

20. Mar 17, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    Rakso

Rakso Tundra + Tacoma=Winner

Member:
    First Name:
    Oskar
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18 CM Super White 4X4
    TRD sway bar, TRD filter
    Any update on this for the '18s

21. Mar 17, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Thanks for all the reviews here, been reading a lot of positive reviews on the Dap tune but I’m still hesitant to drop $600 on it (remote tune). Anyone here with a lot of miles on the tune notice any longevity issues? I’m debating between the tune or full race exhaust from dirty deeds which adds a lot more hp/torque than DAP

GAknight, porkitt and Rica25 like this.
  22. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    art64

art64 New Member

Member:
    Drivability is not the same without this tune. Torque management is still there which interferes with performance, unless you floor it each time. It's hard to explain. Install the race exhaust. Drive it lightly, hard, tow with it, load it heavy and feel the drivability under these conditions. Then install DAP.

23. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    robstruck

robstruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Trd
    Hay guys after months of waiting, finally figured out that my remote start alarm wouldn't allow for propper reading of the programmer or Visa versa.
    Took out the alarms fuse to cut the power to it and vuala! It worked:bananadance:got tuned, and just getting through the learning phase now

Pat, WatTundra and Erichudgins like this.
  24. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Intake, exhaust, remote starter, LEDs everywhere, OVTune
    I'm also strongly considering DAP. On stock ECU, there's a nice difference between "normal" mode and "beast" mode (TC OFF, Tow/Haul ON). Do you experience the same difference post-DAP tune, going from "normal" to "beast"?

Rica25 likes this.
  25. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    UTTundra

UTTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Utah
    Yes, the difference is still there.

Rica25 likes this.
  26. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Cool. Thanks.

Rica25 likes this.
  27. Mar 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    TundraLuv

TundraLuv New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    IA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic Limited Crewmax
    Any word on 18 yet?

Rica25 and NoMoTaco like this.
  28. Apr 9, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Uploaded DAP tune today. Initial impressions on drive home: 4/5. Seemed like better throttle response, though not same as when putting into "beast mode" in stock. Seemed like better/smoother shifting. There did seem to be more torque on hand - it didn't feel like it took as much throttle input to get up to speed. I didn't really notice a vast improvement in acceleration, just seemed to not take as much to get there...if that makes sense. As UTTundra stated, there's definitely still that difference from "normal" to "beast". The upload from the handheld to the ECU took about 10-15 minutes. No codes or anything upon starting, went smoothly. I've currently got the battery ground unbolted - I've read doing that for a couple hours or so allows the ECU to recalibrate the A/F ratios, or something like that. Maybe it's not doing anything. But doesn't hurt to do it. Will update...

Rica25, Samoan Thor and UTTundra like this.
  29. Apr 13, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Update, 4-13-19, 5 days post DAP: 5/5. Not sure if the learning curve was with me or the truck's ECU, but there is definitely more torque. The truck is just quicker, especially felt in Beast mode. I haven't done any real MPG testing yet, been too busy getting into it. But I'll post more as I run through some tanks. Is it worth $600? Maybe the real question is, Is there noticeable difference? From my perspective, yes there is. For me, yeah, it was worth it.

Rica25, NoMoTaco and Samoan Thor like this.
  30. Apr 14, 2019 at 2:34 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC TRD OR Silver
    :fingerscrossed:

Rica25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top