1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daily Driver. Tundra?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by sourpatch1066, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Mar 30, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    sourpatch1066

sourpatch1066 [OP] New Member

Member:
    New member just signed up today. Looking forward to getting my first Toyota next year. Aiming for brand new.
    Though I love the 4Runner I'm also torn between that and the Tundra.
    I know both vehicles will tote the crap I carry on a daily basis. I never take it out of my vehicle now (which is a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee.) I am SO OVER Jeep. Not saying they're not good vehicles, they're just living up to my expectations since I had a 1999 Jeep that I had nothing but problems with, traded that in for this one, and problems again (Engine runs great! I have a water leak coming through my drivers door.) I got this thing out of need and not out of want. It was cheap and I needed something in a hurry. It also has 140,000 miles on it. Mostly highway miles.

But, i've been looking at Toyota. Haven't test driven anything. My vehicle history is as follows:
    I went from a twin turbo 1984 Saab (That thing was a beast)
    1994 V-8 5.0 JGC (that thing was a beast, that was how jeeps used to be made body on frame construction not anymore)
    1999 V-6 4.0 JGC
    2010 V-8 5.7 Hemi JGC
    Are you seeing a theme here? My family is strictly a jeep family, they LOVE them. Me, not so much.

I carry on a daily basis 2 storage containers for work, a dog crate, a stroller, a car seat, plus a can of empty bottles and a case of water.
    All that stuff doesn't weigh more than 60 pounds unless I toss the dog in.

I'm loving the Tundra because I can keep my backseat clear for the most part and just store back there what I need, like the carseat and work gear. I can store everything else in the bed. Not feeling that 38 gallon gas tank, that's $100 a fill up! Better last me 2 weeks!
    (I have a 20 gallon tank now and I fill up every week, sometimes twice a week depending on much I drive)
    I'm loving the Tundra because it'll give me the same engine I have now. The engine is just a beast.
    My questions about the Tundra is as follows:
    How often do you fill your tank?
    How many miles (approximate) do you drive a week?
    Do you remote start your vehicle or let it idle to warm up?

Gas mileage is not a huge concern for me, but $100 a fill up is. That number just hurts thinking about it. I average one fill up a week right now, I drive approximately 250-300 miles a week. I remote start, I let idle sometimes. I spend about $45-50 per fill up. (I know it comes out to the same price if I fill up once every two weeks) I also average about 12.5 miles per gallon in my 2010 JGC 5.7 V8 Hemi.
    Which driving a much LIGHTER vehicle as my DD I should be getting better gas mileage and I'm not.

I'm loving the 4Runner because it's built body on frame, a true SUV. How they're supposed to be made, not like these soccer mom SUV's like I have now. I will be in the same position I am now, with probably one side of my back seat down to store the stroller, the other side with the dog crate, the backseat with the carseat, case of water and work crap. I don't feel like I have enough room, even though it's doable and I make it work (in the summer removing the work crap I have a lot more room) I also just drive around the neighborhood, so all I really need in retrospect is the V-6 engine.

I guess it comes down to preference, but I've been reading that 4Runner can be sluggish even though it performs well.

What would you choose? And why?
    I know I have a year to make up my mind, (mostly for me to save for my down payment) but if I'm gonna buy new I'm planning on having this vehicle until it literally dies. Over 300,000 miles or 15 years. Whenever those wheels literally fall off the vehicle.

When do transmissions usually go on these models?
    Does the vehicle run the same after having the tranny rebuilt?
    Once the tranny is rebuilt does everything else start to fail?
    After my recent experiences with Jeep I'm so done with them and the company I want to run as far away from them as possible. But I also want a trouble free vehicle, worry free vehicle, something that will last me the next 15 years or more with little major work except regular wear and tear and maintenance. I'm trying to find the most reliable vehicle and the best one for $40K. I know that major repairs are necessary in vehicles, but they should not happen unless you bought a lemon. And I feel that's what Jeeps are. Lemon-made-vehicles. Though my parents are HUGE JEEP FANS and never have the issues I have with them. I think they just hate me lol

Like I said I have a 2010 JGC out of need, it has 140,000 miles on it. Runs great, haven't rebuilt the tranny. All original. Regular maintenance. I know it's coming and I want to get rid of it before I have tranny issues, Jeeps are never the same after you rebuild the tranny. That's when you get all the problems coming, one thing after another. I want to avoid another disaster Jeep.

All your help would be great, thanks!

2. Mar 30, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    RickC

RickC NOT a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax Platinum 4x4 5.7
    SCS Wheels, Line-X, WeatherTech, UnderCover Flex bed cover
    I have both, a 4runner and a Tundra, (and a Camry). My daily driver is the 4runner, it is a 2003 sport V6 4x4 with 182k on it. Its still on the original transmission, and from my experience, the Toyota transmissions hold up well. Change the fluid about every 100k and you are good to go. The only repairs I have done to it are radiator, water pump, two front wheel bearings and brakes a couple times. And I can attest that I drive it like I stole it.

The Tundra that I have has a 26 gal tank, I think the 38 was a option or aftermarket, but the Gen3 may be factory, not sure, mine is a Gen2, 2007 with 56k miles. Gas mileage on both of mine is about 15 in town. My 4runner is lifted, the Tundra isn't. It's stock except for wheels and tires and I didn't go huge with tires, only 10mm wider than stock.

Through the years, I have owned just about every major brand there is, including some German brands. I can say without any doubt that the Toyota/Lexus brand is the best there is. They are reliable and hold resale like non other. There are plenty of vehicles with more features, (especially in the truck and SUV market), but none are more reliable and if that's what you are looking for, you won't go wrong switching to Toyota. I switched to Lexus in 2003 after having a boatload of issues with a Dodge SUV and swore I would never own another Dodge, and I grew up with Dodge, including a Dodge Charger and a Hemi Cuda in my younger years. But I wouldn't have a new Dodge if they gave it to me, I would drive it straight to the Toyota dealer and trade it for a Toyota.

Good luck with your searches and research. The sooner you buy one, the sooner you will see what I am talking about. Read up on the forums, you will learn a lot. There is also a lot of help here for doing things yourself.

3. Mar 30, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Wow, I think you're the first person to not like the 38 gallon tank! But of course the size of the tank has nothing to do with the cost of fuel—you should be paying more attention to MPG. I get around 14 mpg with mostly city driving, but I also take it easy on the throttle most of the time. How often everyone fills up is just going to depend on how much they drive. If you have a smaller tank it will of course be "cheaper" at every fill-up, but you're gonna be filling up more often. You could also just never put more than 26 gallons in it and pretend you have a smaller tank... o_O

4. Mar 30, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    I am a new Tundra owner, I just picked up a 2018 CrewMax TRD OR with the 5.7. I'm averaging 15MPG in mixed driving and drive around 250-300 miles a week. I wanted a 6 seater, so the 38 gallon tank was not an option for me, ergo I have the 26.4. I fill up once a week. Personally, I love the size and feel of the truck, which is why I got it, but hate the MPG. You have to pick what you are passionate about. Me, at 6'5" with a wife and kid, I wanted plenty of interior space, with a bed to hold all the other stuff, and I could not accomplish all of that with the other brands without going up to a 250/2500, which get the same MPG at a much higher cost. So the Tundra was a no brainer. Therefore, my question for you is what are you passionate about? Having an SUV, or having ungodly amounts of interior space with lots of space to spear out back?

5. Mar 30, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    sourpatch1066

Member:
    I’ve been an SUV driver all my life. I’m kind ofbuse to it being not big enough, and the inside of my vehicle looking like a tornado came through it and left random pieces of stuf all over. I initially started doing research on the 4Runner and came across the Tundra review and I was like “ohh look at all that space!” My eyes popped out of my head like a kid at Christmas. So that was immediate for me to continue doing research on the Tundra.
    With the Tundra my cabin won’t be littered with dog hair so that’s be a bonus. I also won’t have to collapse a backseat in order to fit my stroller and dog crate in together. So another added bonus.
    As for everything else am SUV works fine.
    I’ve always admired trucks from afar, I nor my family have ever owned them.
    I want to make the best decision for me, not one I’m going to regret a couple years later.

6. Mar 30, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    I get where you are coming from. I came from a truck family, my dad was a general contractor, so I missed having a truck when I was driving my SUV. Personally, I think either the Tundra or Sequoia would be better then the 4Runner, because my 5'4" wife felt cramped in the back seat of the 4 runner. If you get the Tundra, you will have to get use to having things in the bed be out of reach. However, if you get a shell it will keep it all out of the elements and the whole rear window rolls down so you can access things from inside. I love trucks because how versatile they are and how they can fit more things than an SUV. I also like that I can turn the bed into a tent and camp right out of it.

Sunnier likes this.
  7. Mar 30, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Welcome

8. Mar 30, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    Thank you, glad to be here.

Sourpatch1066 I forgot to mention how surprised I am by the Tundra every time I am in a parking lot. It is so much easier to maneuver then I expect. It has a really tight turning radius and has easy to determine dimensions. Also, a con to mention is that SUVs have SUV suspension and Trucks have truck suspension. In other words, SUVs will always ride smoother because they are not designed to put large amounts of weight in the back. So if you are not used to it, the Tundra will ride a little rough when unladen.

Overall, I love my Tundra and do not regret a thing.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 30, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    dandailey

dandailey King Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.Pioneer HU, JL RD amp, Focal speakers everywhere.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. Mar 30, 2018 at 2:42 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    TITS.jpg My 2002 Tundra has been my work truck for the last 14 years... I have owned a few different DD cars during this time, but none of them scratched that itch like my new to me DD 2007 RCSB Tundra. This two and a half ton beast is a hoot to drive around town, and unleashing the 5.7L powerhouse makes me smile every time. 276,000 miles and counting on the '07... the '02 has about 156,000.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Y0TA PR0 and Ike74 like this.
  11. Mar 30, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    I love the looks of a 4 runner. Never drove one. If you are looking at the tundra...I assume you are looking at the Crew cab and not the double cab...you'll throw a topper (because of the dog) on that thing. You will not regret it. You will need ratchet straps to keep the dog crate in one place though because it is hard to keep your foot out of it. I let my dog ride in the cab because he is such a good boy. I can tell he also thinks hes hot shit when he gets to ride shotgun. I only need a tonneau.
    Only downside is you will be giving lots of rides to your family back and fourth to the Jeep dealer when they are needing repairs. I had a guy at work that had a Jeep and a Ram. I had to pick him up on the way in about every 2 months when he was dropping of at the dealer. He gave me all sorts of shit about driving a tundra, then one day I asked him how many times I have needed a ride in from the dealer...

Sunnier and Ike74 like this.
  12. Mar 30, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    Short of a van, a crew cab full size pickup has been the most spacious vehicle I've experienced.

TheBeast and Ike74 like this.
  13. Mar 30, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    sourpatch1066

Member:
    Thanks for all your input guys! Really appreciate it. I’m definitely leaning towards the Tundra since both the Tundra and the 4Runner, new are $40K.
    I’d most definitely prefer the V8 over the V6 since that’s what I’ve been used too. My Jeep runs great, no mechanical problems (as of yet) my drivers door just leaks so I get a flood every time it rains.
    But after my last disaster (my 1999 Jeep) I was NOT looking forward to another Jeep. As said it was out of need and something quick. Got a good deal.
    I don’t think I’ll be putting a cap on the truck. Just a cover. As the dog doesn’t come with me in the winter months. Just in spring summer and warm fall days. (He whines uncontrollably in the vehicle and it’s annoying as hell. He has anxiety in the car even in the crate. He doesn’t lay down just stands) so the further he is away from me and I won’t hear him cry annoyingly during the short trips the better off I am. Less stress for me!
    Thanks again guys. Can’t wait to save for my down payment so I can have payments under $330 a month!

Sunnier likes this.
  14. Mar 30, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Welcome from Texas

15. Mar 31, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    teedubbya

teedubbya I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    I got my tundra last Monday. I came from a sedan with plenty of room, 29mpg.

Two days after having the tundra and not really driving a whole lot, I was at half a tank.

If you can afford the gas, go for it. Also remember the big gas scare years ago where everyone sold their trucks because gas shot up to $4/g.

IMO, there are plenty of SUV’s that would suit your needs and get better mileage, but if you want a tundra, go for it. I like the 4runners but the interior is too small for my liking, plus, gas mileage isn’t much better than a tundra.

16. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    IMO If someone has concerns about the gas mileage while buying a Tundra they should look elsewhere. The MPGS SUCK on a Tundra. It’s an expensive bastard to drive, bottom line.
    But, I drive mine daily and I love it. I love the room, the engine, the ability to haul my boat etc etc.
    if you are going to sit there and look at fuel consumption I’m going to tell you to head over to Dodge and look at the eco-diesel platform. It may be in the shop a lot but it will get better gas mileage.

Btw, welcome from CO!

17. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel

So, you barely drove in two days but burned half a tank? May want to look for leaks...

Ike74 and Black Wolf like this.
  18. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    teedubbya

teedubbya I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    I’m being slightly facetious, coming from a 30mpg half a tank went quick.

ColoradoTJ and BTBAKER[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I enjoyed DD my Tundra. It was thirsty, but worth it. Good luck on your decision. Either way, it’s a Toyota.

BTBAKER likes this.
  20. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    My last two DD cars averaged about 30 MPG around town, my DD Tundra averages something like 15 MPG around town an I love driving it. If / when fuel prices spike again, I'll park the Tundra and drive the old Acura for a bit.IMG_5885.jpg

BTBAKER likes this.
  21. Mar 31, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Spolar

Spolar Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    Yea I didn’t read the whole post either but either way I daily my tundra. 40mile commute each way. 26 gallon tank doesn’t bother me at all, I wanted the bench seat. And I still daily mine despite doing a pretty extensive off-road build so I take it on long trips as well as to work and around town. Couldn’t care less about mpg if I did I wouldn’t have even looked at a tundra.

Ike74 likes this.
  22. Mar 31, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    If you go with 2wd, you get much better mpg. I am getting 16-17 consistently over the first 5,000 miles of ownership (that is measured, not the computer estimate, 5.7 V-8). Combo hiway and around town (probably 60/40 respectively). I would recommend going and test driving a Tundra equipped the way you want it and see what you think. They are fantastic vehicles, I highly recommend them. I had a 2006 Tundra (V-8) that I bought new and had 225,000 trouble-free miles on it when I sold it to my daughter. She will probably put another 100-200k on it.

Dan

RickC and Rex Kramer like this.
  23. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    HamHands

HamHands Honey-Glazed Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC MGM SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
    I wouldn't shy away from the 38 gallon tank. I'm averaging 14 mpg this tank. Granted, the truck only has 1,000 miles on it so I imagine that may go up after proper break in. Even if it doesn't, which I'm prepared for, you can still get over 500 miles per tank with the 38 gallon tank with that fuel mileage. That's enough for me. I probably fill up every three weeks or so. Granted, I have a second vehicle I alternate between, but even so, the 38 gallon tank makes it easy to just fill up and not give it a second thought for awhile.

24. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    HamHands

HamHands Honey-Glazed Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC MGM SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
    My commuter car is a Mercury Grand Marquis. It gets worse gas mileage than the Tundra :rofl:

Rex Kramer[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. May 9, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    Norfolk757

Norfolk757 Be Kind, Be Helpful, Be a Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra- CrewMax TRD Off Road
    I bought the 2018 4Runner Limited (September 2017) which is an AWD and i get around 14MPG combined. That MPG is horrible compared to what we had was a Honda Pilot. Its ok for an SUV, i cant say its all that when it comes to ride comfort. When we take road trips with the kids it bounces all over the place and forget about drinking coffee and trying not to spill it. Its got some power but its not going to be anything spectacular or even take off fast for the on-ramps. Its a great looking truck but as far as its functionality, unless you plan on going off-road its not worth the $45K. Stick with the Highlander or go bigger with a Sequoia.

26. May 9, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Not trying to pressure you but you should drive both and then see what you felt more comfortable with. Then do more research on the one you like the most. The tundra is amazing. I get anywhere from 12-14mpg with each fill up. It is my daily driver and is mainly city/town with lots of stop and go and it's a small town so my daily trip is under five miles if all I do is go to work and come home. Highway is much better MPG but I am rarely on it out here.

Had a 4runner when I was younger and had it til I rolled it. Great rig, but it was much older 90/91 (/ast year they had the tire on the back instead of underneath) so I wouldn't be much help on the newer ones.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Sunnier likes this.
  27. May 9, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    I have a 2WD Tundra and DON'T get noticeably better mileage than if it were a 4WD. It's my DD (love it!) and also we did a 2,000 mile road trip. The best mileage I've seen (I've never reset in 8000 miles, so this is average of all driving since purchase) is 13.5. So, IMO, if you're going to keep this next one 15+ years, get 4WD and the 38 gallon tank. That way, no matter what life changes lie ahead, your truck will rise to the occasion.

I live in San Diego (the highest gas prices in the country I think) and paid just under $100 to fill the tank only twice. (The fuel pump is located in the tank so your gauge will register 0 when there's still 6-7 gallons in the tank; so "filling up" actually means buying 30-32 gallons) Usually it's a lot, but closer to $80+. Small difference but it sounds like you need to know this. This is the first vehicle that's prompted me to fill up at Costco-- I want every rebate earning back that I can get.

Also, you've said more than once that you'd put half of the back seat down to fit a stroller and a dog crate-- sadly, you will not. The seats in 3rd gens fold up, not down. There's a free mod (need a grinder or saw for 3 heavy-duty metal clips) you can do to fold the seat backs forward in a double cab (not a Crew Max), but the seats don't fold flat so you could put something on top-- only forward enough you can store backpacks, purses, jackets, some recovery gear or a first aid kit behind. Tundras have VERY little storage room on the cab. On the other hand, the leg room area in the rear seat area of the Crew Max is HUGE and would accommodate a crate for a medium size dog-- and maybe a stroller, as long as it folds a bit.

As for a 4 Runner, we have one of those too and love it. It looks great and is fun off road. But it really IS very slow ("anemic" is right) to get up to speed. Like... pat the dashboard, if you want to accelerate going up grade.

Sounds like you need to get somewhere you can check these out in person, at least sit in 'em. If you don't want to try a dealership until you're ready to buy, do you have a local summer fair? Should be several opportunities to see and sit in these to get a feel for what's what.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    jewsNbrews likes this.
  28. May 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    The 38 gallon tank shouldn't be a concern. It doesn't matter if it is a 26 gallon or a 38 gallon tank - either way the truck gets crappy mileage. If it is mileage you want, don't get the Tundra.
    Another thing to consider is if you get the Tundra is keep an eye on the payload. It isn't very good - especially with the CrewMax. That said, I daily drive my Tundra and I like it.

Now, the 4Runner - that is something to consider. My wife and I have owned two of them. We had a 2005 V8 Sport that we sold with 110,000 miles. Best damn vehicle I have ever owned. It is actually why I went with a Tundra - hoping for the same reliability. We still regret selling it, but the kid situation was rough with two car seats and a third always crammed inbetween the carseats. So, we sold it - we kick ourselves for it. Fast forward several years - our kids are bigger and out of car seats. So, we bought a 2016 4Runner. We love it. However, we do miss that V8. The V6 is pretty sluggish. That is our only complaint. So, I am not sure what I would do in your shoes. I myself must have a truck - it is just necessary. However, I think that the 4Runner is a better, more reliable platform than the Tundra is. I haven't had the best of luck with my Tundra. It hasn't been horrible, but nothing like our 4Runners - we haven't had any problems whatsoever with the 4Runners.

Good luck.

jewsNbrews likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top