1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cut, replace fuel filter with rusted ends on lines on 2003 tundra

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 1xloader, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Jun 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    1xloader

1xloader [OP] New Member

Member:
    2003 tundra v8, last time changed fuel filter had to actually cut the metal line as the ends froze up like they do, rubber on it for now but would like to get back to metal. What is the actual size of the fuel line? is it metric ? / measures out to look like 3/8 but not sure, need to get to:
    old line/ compression fittings, fit the new line in and then fuel filter...repeat for other end...not best description but most of you know where i'm at...anyone else done this repair?

2. Jun 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Sounds like you need some type of slip compression repair fitting. Slip the fitting down the good part of the line and slip it back up to make your new connection at either the fuel filter or new line running out from said filter. You’ll do this on both ends/sides of filter.

Or, couple new filter and one side (like normal) and slip repair the long splice end with the slip compression fitting.

3. Jun 10, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    1xloader

1xloader [OP] New Member

Member:
    yeah, i'm trying to confirm what size metal line it is..outside caliper says it is really a 10mm?...

4. Jun 10, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    A 3/8" fuel line measures 9.53mm outside diameter.

Steel fuel line repair kits are available, but I can find no reference to any 10mm fuel line repair kits. In fact, Dorman Products catalog lists no steel fuel line repair kit for any Tundra. If your caliper is truly indicating 10.00mm, then a 3/8" fuel line compression fitting may work IF (Big IF) you can get the 3/8" compression ferrule to slide onto the 10mm line. I doubt it's going to happen, won't know until you try it.

I hate to say it, but if you want an all steel fuel line (the safest option), then you're probably looking at replacing the entire fuel line. The only other alternative I know of is possibly having a shop repair the section by flaring the tubing ends and using metric fittings ($$$). Replacing the entire line may be cheaper.

5. Jun 10, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    1xloader

1xloader [OP] New Member

Member:
    yeah thanks, that's alot of same info i 'm finding...I have found a compression fitting that will go from 10mm to 3/8...so may just be looking for any make or brand that has a 3/8 line with threaded fuel line/ filter. could use anything after that, ford, chev, etc...just have to write down the part number in my book for next time...i have a flaring tool, but i bet it would take alot of hit/ miss tries to get it right, don't feel like fixing that many leaks....if i don't find something to pull from local junk yard, i 'll go with the 10mm to 3/8 fitting...thanks for digging into that..

6. Jun 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    If you've found a compression fitting for adapting 10mm to 3/8", you are close. Take a look at this 3/8" steel repair kit by Dorman: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-1...ne+repair+kit&qid=1560212229&s=gateway&sr=8-3

You can always go with the GM GF-652 filter shown, but then you have to get back to 10mm tube on the other side...another compression fitting perhaps? Tube length in Dorman kit is 18". Good luck.

7. Jun 11, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    1xloader

1xloader [OP] New Member

Member:
    thanks, well found out the tubing changes size just before the filter, it seems to go from 10 mm down to actual 5/16 tubing....now all i need to do is buy any filter that a 5/16 fuel line goes into, should be easy to find an SAE filter on another make ...Ford / GM etc...thanks for all the help..

Products Discussed in

To Top