1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crewmax build or just buy a TRD PRO?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by TundraCO, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Feb 27, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    TundraCO

TundraCO [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD PRO
    Line-X, 20% tint
    Here's the skinny, purchased a '14 CM TRD less than a year ago (slightly used, guy had it for about 1 year prior) with the intent to mod it out. Since purchasing it I've lifted it (Toytec Boss), replaced cloth seat covers with leather (leatherseats.com) added sway bar, new UCA's (light racing) and CB +3 shackles (when the lift was added). Mods remaining; TRD dual exhaust, TRD Pro grill, TRD headlights, TRD Pro wheels (maybe)...my point being, I'm turning my TRD into a TRD PRO so does it make sense to sell and buy a new TRD PRO and not deal with all the future mods?

Advice/comments. Thanks!

2. Feb 27, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Keep it and just mod as necessary

I have the BOSS kit too, TRDPro grill, and TRDPro headlights.

3. Feb 27, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Do you plan to add a brake controller and a larger gas tank? If you are, it might be worth upgrading. Besides, Pros are so cool. :cool:

4. Feb 27, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    If you've done all that, you might as well keep it until the next generation of tundras come around

5. Feb 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I would keep it. The pro mods you want are all pretty easy and you would end up spending way less and have the same look.

6. Feb 27, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Pros are expensive. You are going the right route with yours. Just put aside the $ difference between what you could trade yours in for and the OTD cost of a pro. Use that for mods. Should be in the 5-10k range or more.

7. Feb 28, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    TundraCO

TundraCO [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD PRO
    Line-X, 20% tint
    Thanks guys, great advice! I wasn't looking forward to the hassle of trade-in, buying...etc.

8. Feb 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Yeah seems like a lot of extra work and $$ to get a PRO. You will save quite a bit by just doing the little upgrades that you want. You can also save some money on the installation and do a few things yourself. Here is a really good video for installing the grille/headlights. May take an hour if you go really slow. Can only imagine what the dealership would charge you to do those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgOFHcWYOk

You may even look into other options for your exhaust to save some $$ and get the exact sound you want. I would definitely look up the thread on here with all the exhaust sound clips. If you don't plan on running headers etc. you will lose some low end torque with a dual exhaust. Lookup BAMufflers, a user on here (dirtydeeds) makes them just for our trucks, and he has A LOT of happy customers.

You can also powdercoat your black/silver TRD wheels and order the PRO center caps for them for like $13 each (the TRD wheels you have are exactly the same as the ones that come on the PRO, except the PRO wheels are all black with different caps).

Depending which exhaust you decide on you could easily convert your wheels to the PRO ones, get the headlights/grille, and add a new exhaust for under $2500. I'd say thats much less than you would spend selling yours and upgrading to a PRO.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    efraticelli10 and TundraCO[OP] like this.
  9. May 2, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    efraticelli10

efraticelli10 Don't let your L. hand know what your R.is doing

Member:
    Tuba City, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 CM TRD Super White
    LED Headlights, fog lamps and Interior bulbs, Chrome deleted.
    Always want the Pro. But!!!!! Today I went to the dealer because check engine light. I am so relieved was a stupid code, the gas cap was loose. But I was looking around and see a White CM Pro. I was like, why they don't have it in Stock 3 months a go when I exchange my other 2014 CM. Then it's hits me. The Tundra Pro don't have double auto window feature no sunroof no sunroof no blind side sonar. My Limited have all the above cost less. And like most of you I change the wheel caps order the front from Cool Springs (by the way, hat off to Roman) this gentlemen is awesome. So end caps painted hood bulge and Prof. Grill arrive today. Tomorrow installation and I know already it's gonna be better than the Pro in price and gadgets without the price tag. Suspension and wheels are next and I will have a strong truck for the road ahead. 20160502_131631.jpg 20160502_132111.jpg

sqa4life and CaptTyler like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top