1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crazy things your parents did to you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nvrgvup444, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:04 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    This is why we stay on property. We go to the parks for a little while, then go chill at the hotel for a few hours, then go back if we feel like it. Staying in the parks for a solid day is brutal. At least the heat in California isn’t as bad as Florida.

Outbound[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:05 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    All you guys talking about getting whipped with a belt. I got whatever was in arm’s reach. Boat paddle, extension cord, wire plant hanger, hands, whatever. You belt kids are so entitled.

3. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:16 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    We went with toddlers a few times, but never just them. My oldest was almost six the first time, and her little sister was maybe two. Same thing with our son. His first trip was when he was around 2 or so, but his big sisters were old enough to remember.

Even though there are trips they don’t remember, it made great memories for my wife and I, so I don’t regret it. Not sure I’d go with just a 2 year old though.

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:07 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Damn good advice. I'll do my best to heed it. :thumbsup:

GODZILLA and War Machine[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Be sure and utilize Fastpass as much as possible. It helps with the lines.

Even better, if your mom is willing get her one of those scooters. My mother in law went with us last time. Her knees are pretty bad, so we rented one for her to get around in. Turns out it had a perk we didn’t expect: We hardly had to wait in line for shit. As soon as the employees saw it, they’d direct us another way and straight on to the ride most of the time. There were not many times this didn’t happen.

My mother in law actually did need one, but it could definitely be taken advantage of. Nobody questioned it. I know you’re a man of high moral character though.....

jewsNbrews likes this.
  6. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Ha! My mom on a scooter. That'd be a sight to see. :D It'd never happen. She and dad only turn 60 next year and fortunately are in great shape. They walk 10 - 15km almost daily for exercise.

That's a pretty neat perk being able to get past the line. Maybe I can roll an ankle or something on the first day and legitimately need a scooter. It could end up like an episode of Jackass though...

landphil, Sunnier, Trooper2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Dec 4, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    We didn’t do it intentionally. It just happened. I don’t doubt that there are people who take advantage of it though.
    I think for the parks it’s more about keeping the lines from filling up with them. There’s also several lines that a scooter won’t go through, so they have to reroute them.

Outbound[QUOTED] and jewsNbrews like this.
  8. Dec 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I got bet with anything that my parents could get "a hold" of in the moment...... belts, fly swatters, brooms..... I still have a scar from the broom.

I deserved them all and more.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  9. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    Ostrich

Ostrich One bit me once.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    Marion, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Crewmax SR5 4x4
    3/1 level, black leather, raptor style grille
    Here's the moment in my life when I developed a fear of flying/heights..

When I was 11 my dad took me and my cousin to go ride in his friend's tiny little 5 passenger plane. I had never been on a plane, so of course I was excited. My dad's friend was the pilot, I was in the passenger seat up front, and my dad and cousin were in the backseat. We flew around for a while and I was having a blast, when my dad's friend asked if I wanted to fly the plane. He told me to take hold of the wheel in front of me, keep it steady, and he would let go of his after counting down from 3. I gripped it tightly and thought I was ready.. 3..2..1.. he let go and we started going down. In my 11 year old mind we nose dived.. In reality it probably wasn't anywhere near that dramatic, but I freaked out. Dad's friend took control again and all I could think was "get me down get me down get me down!!" I literally dropped to my knees and kissed the ground when we landed.

I didn't get on a plane again until January of this year, and I had a panic attack when taking off. So far I've been on 4 commercial flights and have somewhat overcome my fear.. We'll be taking a couple more trips next year so it should only get better!

10. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    I feel so close to you now ... well, I would if I did feelings [but, I don't].

I work REALLY hard at always being laid back and reasonable: this is because I'm tightly wound and totally unreasonable [hyper aggressive].

I'm not proud of it, either.

It's a lot easier to hide it at 53, however: especially now that I realize I have a problem.:D

So, I identify with what you're saying, dude.:thumbsup:

11. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Honestly, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought "this is a bad idea."

Actually, it has been a really enjoyable thread to read.:thumbsup:

12. Dec 4, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    We have a Special Needs Niece (Autistic) that cannot handle the lines. Disney issues her a pass that works in the same way. It is a nice thing. My brother in Law will not utilize it unless she can benefit from it.

Read an article a while back how the word was out and how affluent New Yorkers were borrowing/renting Special Needs children/teens so they could bypass all of the lines. Some people.... :annoyed:

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 4, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    ya, his belt was ALWAYS on hand and it came out swiftly like

14. Dec 4, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I was a lot worse in my younger days, but I’m still pretty impatient and intolerant about too many things. I’m pretty chill as long as nobody causes problems, but it’s damned hard to ignore it when people do. I get especially ticked when someone is a dick to my family or friends. Usually the best I can do is limit it to passive aggressive comments.

My wife always tells me to “not let things bother me so much”. Yeah babe, I’m walking around all day making a conscious decision to get pissed off at people........

15. Dec 4, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    That’s pretty messed up. I’m sure they justify it somehow.

GODZILLA and Trooper2[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Dec 4, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    One time I turned at the last minute and caught a belt in the nuts. That was pretty awesome.

17. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Yeah, my situation was similar. Once my dad whipped on my older brother for us fighting and bent the aluminum pipe he used. When he turned to me for my turn, I took off running. Mom took my part, and he calmed down.

18. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    nvrgvup444

nvrgvup444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    KCMO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab Limited - Blue Ribbon
    Bilstein 5100 all corners, Toytech Shackles, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Completely new sound system that sounds great but didn't cost an arm and leg, front camera, front receiver hitch
    There was a tree on the side of our church and when I got impatient and acted up during the sermon, my dad would go out and break off a branch and give me a few good swats. One day he took me out there and he had used up all the branches within reach. I kinda laughed until he lifted me up and said "choose wisely"

SMK Shoe, Sunnier, KTM Hauler and 6 others like this.
  19. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    nvrgvup444

Member:
    KCMO
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 all corners, Toytech Shackles, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Completely new sound system that sounds great but didn't cost an arm and leg, front camera, front receiver hitch
    I actually thought that too when I was posting it.... but so far it's been pretty fun.

20. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    For the most part my parents were pretty good and mostly fair, so I’m gonna turn this around and tell what I did to my oldest son.
    He was around 4 or 5 and we went to a thanksgiving/harvest party. They had a “cake walk”, prize was 24 cupcakes.
    If you don’t know what a cake walk is, it’s just musical chairs, the kids walk in a circle around the chairs, when the music stops they try to sit down. There’s always 1 less chair than kids, so whoever is left standing gets eliminated.
    Anyhow, my boy won the event, and we headed home after a bit with all those cupcakes. Keep in mind, we’re a rural family and have been growing food for years. This boy has grown up watching seeds grow in the garden and trees start bearing fruit.
    So the last thing in the world Mom and I want is our boy getting all sugared up on all those cakes, but he won em fair and square. But I’m inspired, and here’s my plan: I take my son out back and set down with him, explaining that if he plants those cupcakes in the back, by the fence, they’re gonna grow into cupcake trees. He bites. I help him plant the cakes in the ground after setting a few aside, problem solved, right?
    Not so fast. A couple weeks later, I have forgotten all about it, and he meets me getting home from work at my truck and taking my hand, leads me out back. Standing there with him, he tells me how he’s been watering them every day and wants to know when they will break ground. I felt pretty damn bad, but he was scarred for life.
    Here’s what he turned into...
    55CA9051-1A0B-4229-9042-36A73FEF1284.jpg

21. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:52 PM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    He took out his hurt on that poor, helpless fish!!!

22. Dec 15, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Not New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Central North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD DC
    Step Bars, Rear Swaybar, 2,000 Watt Amp, 2-10" Subs, new door speakers, De-Badged, Hondo vent mounts, Calipers, 6112/5100 shocks, SPC UCA's, Front bumper, Bed Bars, bed rack, Fuel Rims
    was 17 and decided to join the army before I graduated HS. Mom and I got into in the kitchen. I was back against the sink and said something. She went to slap me and I leaned back and she got nothing but air. Worst mistake of my life was laughing at her for missing. Didn't end well for me. Dad to this day says dumbest thing I could have done.

23. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    nvrgvup444

Member:
    KCMO
    Vehicle:
    Holy Shit!!! I bet boot camp couldn't come fast enough.:rofl:

24. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Not New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Central North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD DC
    Step Bars, Rear Swaybar, 2,000 Watt Amp, 2-10" Subs, new door speakers, De-Badged, Hondo vent mounts, Calipers, 6112/5100 shocks, SPC UCA's, Front bumper, Bed Bars, bed rack, Fuel Rims
    Things did work out for the best, Mom got over it and I had a 26 year career before I retired

AZBoatHauler, gosolo and jewsNbrews like this.
  25. Dec 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    Tigwelder

Tigwelder New Member

Member:
    About 1980-81 in december . parents took us on a family trip from southeast texas to Denver Colorado . We had a single cab toyota pickup . Me and younger brother road in bed of truck all the way there and back. Froze our ass off.
    Dad wouldn't open the sliding back glass very long for us to poke our heads in for the heater. Said heat was getting out of truck.lol.
    Next winter we went to Oklahoma City in bed of same truck.
    You'd be put under the jail now for putting a 9 & 6 year old kid in back of truck.
    Good times

Trooper2 and jewsNbrews like this.
  26. Dec 22, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I was around 10 and visiting the beach with my older brother and my mom. My mom was being really mean to my poor 10 year old self. I got fed up and called her a bitch. Things moved slowly after that. I remember her calmly grabbing me and forcing me under water. It was like something you see in a movie. She kept dunking me. I thought she was going to kill me.

She eventually let me up and I never called her anything like that again. We joke about it today. :)

Trooper2 and jewsNbrews like this.
  27. Mar 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    SuperWhite20

SuperWhite20 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Georgetown TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4X4
    TRD Sway bar. Deck Rails, Maxliner rear floor mat, Driver side grab handle. Dee Zee bed mat
    I got a horse riding crop across the the butt. The ones with the two leather flaps on the end. Also the end of my dad’s Army boots taught lessons as well.

Best one was in junior high we had a substitute teacher for math class. The boys were being real butts and made her cry. She called the office. The asst. Principle came and took all the boys to the office. He talked to us for awhile then told us to stand and get in a line. “Paddle time”. He had a paddle with holes in “for the sting”. Well, I was first. First wack on my butt and it broke! The rest of the guys were saved.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  28. Mar 6, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    KMG

KMG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yacolt, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    BFG KO2s, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Trail Ridge Extendable Towing Mirrors
    I went off to college and found out when I returned for the holidays my parents had moved across town and didn't tell me. The new owner was nice when I walked in with my bag of dirty laundry. 40 years later thinking about it still makes me laugh.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top