1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crappy stock sound system

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by syty12, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Dec 4, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    Yes sir! I have focal KRX2 6 1/2" components for my front and rear speakers.

2. Feb 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum-SOLD 2022 Sequoia, Celestial Silver Metallic
    @1UPPER
    I'm trying to figure out which is the best route to go in upgrading all speakers and amps , but retain stock JBL NON Entune HU in my Platinum. Since I'm not exactly savvy in this area, it seems the more reading I do about it, the more confused I get. I'm wondering on the differences between the ReCurveEZQ and the old JL Audio Cleansweep and now JL FIX 82 and 86? Is the ReCurve the same as the JL stuff? Essentially, a digital sound processor with automatic time alignment, channel summing, and equalization that will correct any factory equalization, and provide a completely flat audio signal.
    It looks like calibration with the ReCurve is a tedious job, (from youtube vids) where the 82/86 is almost automatic. Just wondering on what the better route would be. Advantages/disadvantages?
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    jbreslau

jbreslau New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax
    What head unit do you have?

4. Feb 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    Sorry for the delayed response. I talked to Taco Tunes about your question. He said he the recurve should not have any sound quality issues. I did have the recurve in my 2015 Platinum JBL stereo and it sounded good. However I did have a pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX on my 2012 Tundra and the same focal components, JL Audio amps all the way around, JL subs. I did prefer the aftermarket stereo for line output and the mid and tweeters definitely sounded more crisp, clear and loud. I know other tundra have had the JL audio clean sweep and took them back out to install the recurve system. You should give Taco Tunes a call so you call ask them directly your questions and concerns. They are very helpful and informative. I hope this helps you make a decision. I'll post some pics of my stereo when I get it out back in.

Tundra Fan[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    Thanks 1upper. My mids, highs and amp are definitely on the want list. I'm not sure what components to go with yet in front or back. I think I will call them and pick their brains.
    I'm going to try and squeeze my Alpine Type R's and amp that I already have in first. I'm going to lose several clicks on the old backseat since my Type R's are monsters. Surprisingly, after doing a test hook up of my amp and subs, the whole system sounded much better. I may live with it like that for a while.

This is the setup that came from my old car, they sound awesome, but they are huge.
    20170224_171256_zpss2csayy5_1697cd264c62d03a9bd99e8497eb2a0b68b739a6.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  6. Feb 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    @Tundra Fan I had white noise in my 2015 Tundra running the stock HU and Alpine speakers, JL subs, and JL amp. I was very close to swapping the HU for aftermarket bc it was driving me (and the wife) crazy. I traded in that truck for a 2017, moved all the speakers and amp to the new truck but added an audiocontrol lc7i. Wow, what a difference! I know @TruckyTruck said he still couldn't get rid of the white noise, but I have ZERO noise, even with the volume on 0. My HU is the Entune non-JBL w/ nav

TruckyTruck likes this.
  7. Feb 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    Losing the factory HU would be a deal breaker for me. I would live with just my amp/sub upgrade. I was told to try a cleansweep, but after researching them I found they were replaced with the FIX 82/86. One of the things that has me leaning toward the recurve (not knowing much about them yet) is the fact that its plug and play. I have some research to do. :pccoffee:

8. Feb 27, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    I don't know much about the recurve, but I would add audiocontrol to your list of things to research. I'm very happy with mine and how it changed my system

9. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    As much as I want a better, cleaner, and louder sound, all of this information is lie reading another language to me. I would love for someone to just give me 3 options and say "pick one."

The trick to that is to trust the person enough to commit and for them to do it right. Anyone on here know someone in Denver with those charecteristics?

10. Mar 1, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, what didn't you like about it? Are you still running your factory HU? Was the plug and play an easy install? pics?

11. Mar 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    Polly3685

Polly3685 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Sky Metallic SR5 TSS Off-Road
    TRD exhaust and intake. Pocket fender flares. Line-X: chrome grill, chrome bumpers, fender flares, rocker panels. Deck rail /w tie down cleats. Undercover Swing Case x2. All weather mats. Stereo system with custom underseat sub box and TacoTunes recurve EZQ.
    I had a local guy do a system for my truck. Everything is on my build page.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/2016-tss-off-road-double-cab.10026/

I kept the stock head unit and got the Recurve EZQ from *********, Polk audio speakers all the way around, kept the factory tweeters because he couldn't get anything that would fit there, and kept the stock center speaker in the dash, custom sub box with Polk subs, and Dynamat all the way around.

The Recurve is great at cleaning up the signal from the head unit. Have to make sure it's wired properly and follow their tuning instructions or it wont turn out right.

I honestly don't know how it compares to other systems/brands for the money. I spent $2500.00 parts and labor from him (cash, so no tax) and I think the Recurve was $330.00 with the wiring harness/tax/shipping.

GNTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top